A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Where you do it  (Read 40431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: February 27, 2008 04:40:10 PM »

Usually i knit during the 5 later classes out of the 7 periods during the day and only work on it at school. I pay attention and put it down when i need to write or something, so far i am doing ok grade and school wise(except for one which does not count ^^ ), I mostly work on metal needles and such, and the security guards dont really care or just dont notice(even though i just knit in front of them), but i do have some sock needles that are super thin, that i keep in my bag and rarely use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chick-wiff-sticks
« Reply #561 on: March 07, 2008 08:42:09 PM »

Would I be frowned upon if I knit in church? Those sermons can get kinda long...
Hey, it's more respectful then bringing a GameBoy! Has anyone else knitted in church, mass, or anything else? I guess it seems kind of taboo..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.intherealworld.moonfruit.com
We need an artist! Visit the site and try out!
Skellerz
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2008 08:49:43 PM »

It might be considered taboo now, but at one point, it was highly frowned upon to just SIT THERE in the pews.
"Idle hands are the devil's playthings."
Way back when, it was taboo for a woman (and sometimes men) to NOT be knitting in the pews.
Honestly, church is essentially one long lecture (in the sense that you're meant to retain the information, not to mean any disrespect to anyone who is religious), I view it the same as I would a class.
If anyone questions it, give them the "idle hands" line.

It comes right down to this:
You know you can concentrate (unless you're being bad :p) and knit at the same time.
Others won't.  You'll get the few who understand and some who won't.
Are you willing to put aside their tutting so that YOU get the most out of church (I can't stay awake if my hands aren't busy, personally.  NOT a morning person.)?
If not, you might want to choose a less visible fidget.  A worrystone or something.
There will always be someone who frowns on it (I'm sure more than one person will post in this very thread discouraging you from knitting in church).  It all depends on your comfort zone.

I, personally, would do it, and Devil take the hindmost (no pun intended), but then, I'm one of those that A)Aren't religious in the lets-go-to-church sense.  I never really cared for some of the lessons of Christianity. B) I don't really give a crap about what people think of me.  My own grandmother has disowned me because of my religious choices.

Do what you feel comfortable with.  Just make sure it's something you don't have to look at, so that the pastor/priest/what have you still knows you're paying attention (you're less likely to get 'caught' knitting with this as well).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008 08:53:09 PM by Skellerz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chick-wiff-sticks
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2008 09:06:15 PM »

I'm not religious either, but I have to go. And I must say, that is a very long hour! Thanks for the "idle hands" line; I'll be sure to use it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.intherealworld.moonfruit.com
We need an artist! Visit the site and try out!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2008 09:41:49 PM »

Do you understand Romans 14?  Especially vs. 14, 19-21?  Paul offers great advice,  If you cause a problem, then you should be considerate and really think about why you're doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lesleycayton

deedle deedle dee. wubba wubba wubba.

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 08, 2008 04:21:48 PM »

I have knitted in church without a fuss---it may have helped that the minister's mother is an ardent knitter!  It is worth it, in my humble opinion, to try it & see if the congregation will be supportive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #566 on: March 08, 2008 05:50:47 PM »

i would see it as rude. its just as disrespectful as texting or eating a snack or doing anything else than listening. i dont care how boring it is, you are talking about church. you can do that afterwards when you get home or else just stay home. not that you have to force yourself to pay attention, but you should at least be able to sit there without preoccupying yourself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
superchloe
« Reply #567 on: March 08, 2008 07:46:20 PM »

I would see knitting in church- even if it were a mundane garter stitch or stockinette pattern that doesn't require attention- to be rude.  This is coming from she who knits everywhere- in class, on the bus, on her walk to school, at family brunches, at youth group. But inside a church, I would never knit. Church is God time, and should be TOTALLY focused on God. While people would make the same argument about knitting in class, being in church is a different situation. I knit in class because it helps me focus but never in church because I'm not the most religious and if I were knitting I wouldn't pay attention. Especially in a large church, I can see someone knitting during mass being as distracting as someone's cell phone going off. Nothing at all should be going on except the mass.
Especially eating, as LilMissPink mentioned, if you're Roman Catholic- There's a one hour fast period before receiving communion, don't forget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haakstad
« Reply #568 on: March 08, 2008 10:05:11 PM »

I see why you would want to knit in church but do think other people would find it disrespectful and/or distracting. 

It would depend on your age, too, I guess.  If I see kids colouring during church I'm not bothered.  If I saw a young teen who was obviously forced to be there there knitting or drawing, I wouldn't be too upset.

However, if I you were an adult who was obviously old enough to decide whether he/she wanted to be there or not, I would wonder why you didn't have the maturity to leave if you found it boring enough to require the distraction of knitting. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 08, 2008 10:20:46 PM »

Try it during an intermission at first; see who realizes you're doing the Lord's work and who does not. Those who don't realize you're practicing your calling, are those you'll want to avoid sharing your spirituality with. Build eachother up - don't bring eachother down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Pair Feminine and Military-Inspired Pieces in One Look
Noelle Sciacca Talks About Snagging Designer Pieces on Sale
A Perfect Outfit for Work
At Home with Jayna Maleri of Lucky Magazine
How to Pull Off a Denim Vest This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...