A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Where you do it  (Read 40478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2007 03:36:30 PM »

I have to admit, I have occasionally been a rude knitter. I knit during family get-togethers (mainly Christmas and Thanksgiving). People assume because I'm knitting I can't pay attention to their conversation and I've had relatives get huffy about it. So, I try to work on simple projects that don't require me staring at the work so I can still maintain eye contact during conversations. I don't think I could knit at a funeral or wedding. I haven't attended a church service in years, but looking back on my childhood I wish I would have had some sort of mental distraction. I don't say that to be disrespectful to those who enjoy church services, but I was forced to attend and hated every minute of it.

I felt bad for this one teenage girl that was sitting at a table next to mine in a restaurant one night a couple of years ago. She and her parents were waiting for their order to come out and the young girl pulled a pair of knitting needles out of her tote bag and a skein of yarn. Her parents reamed her out right there in front of everyone for knitting at the table. I felt so bad for her because you could tell she was mortified.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
knitknitter
« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2007 06:49:39 PM »

When I went to church, I would knit and crochet during most of the service, otherwise I would get distracted or start to doze off.  It kept me alert.
You know what, I agree with this. Normally I don't doze off but my mind wanders. However, when I was knitting, I paid the most attention than I may ever have to one of his homilies! It's not for lack of wanting to listen, it is just that my mind wanders and knitting helped me to concentrate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clicksticks
« Reply #452 on: October 14, 2007 10:31:45 PM »

Some of the people are so stuck up that they won't even shake your hand during the "peace section" of mass (if you don't want to do this, then why call yourself a Christian or go to church?!!  Huh).

Totally OT, but I just wanted to chime in and say that, wow, that stinks!  I would have a really hard time going to mass if the only church I could go to was that cold towards me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
knitknitter
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2007 11:31:27 PM »

Some of the people are so stuck up that they won't even shake your hand during the "peace section" of mass (if you don't want to do this, then why call yourself a Christian or go to church?!!  Huh).

Totally OT, but I just wanted to chime in and say that, wow, that stinks!  I would have a really hard time going to mass if the only church I could go to was that cold towards me.
Yeah, you can see why I don't want to go. I mean, here I am spending a lot of time out of a very busy day - I normally have to take almost 3 hours out of my day to go to this mass it is at least an hour and a half - to have people be extremely rude to me. It is not only the time, but also the fact that people who are supposedly religious are doing this - as I mentioned the hypocritical old lady is a regular at mass. The hypocrisy and pontification get to me. The one thing that keeps me going, in all honesty, is Catholic Guilt about not going to mass every Sunday. As soon as I deal with that, I will pray from home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
infantkittensyringe
« Reply #454 on: October 15, 2007 09:18:02 AM »

Not a churchgoer myself - but  have met a few knitters who work on small projects. scarves mostly, in church. I totally get the concentration thing. I also know some people who knit during college lectures or business meetings. It keeps them focused and attentive. Me, if i don't have something to do with my hands at all times, I fidget, which I think would be considerably more rude in those situations than knitting. I would think that as long as whomever is speaking (pastor, professor, etc.) isn't bothered by it - and I think once you explain that it makes you a better listener they couldn't possibly be - then nobody else can disapprove.
Incidently, I don't go to church but I do believe in God. I feel like God is in everything, everywhere, so in a way, I'm always knitting in church.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juju dalton
« Reply #455 on: December 14, 2007 04:40:28 PM »

I think that knitting's pretty tame but I've had two experiences in the last month where I was knitting and I might as well have been wearing a clown suit and carrying a chain saw judging by the looks I got. 

1) Downtown Las Vegas (on Fremont Street)

2) A Tool concert (between acts)

What's the most surreal place you've ever knitted?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smileygirl
yea, i knit with acrylic. what are you gonna do about it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: December 14, 2007 04:45:15 PM »

i knitted at my son's winter concert. i got all kinds of strange looks, like i am a bad mother or something. i did stop when my son was on "he plays the flute"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more you know, the less you don't know

I love being married.
It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
-Rita Rudner

My Blog!! http://raynaknits.blogspot.com
My Etsy!! http://www.raynascreations.etsy.com
Skellerz
« Reply #457 on: December 14, 2007 06:08:58 PM »

I knit in class all the time.
I had a sub in Physics yesterday who looked at me like I had 5 arms and 7 heads.
"Are you KNITTING?  What are you, 85?"
"Yes.  Yes I am in my 80's. Cry about it *knitknit*"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greyshadeofblack
« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2007 06:27:36 PM »

On Mt. Everest! Of course I brought my knitting needles...It was a month long trip people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamakass
« Reply #459 on: December 14, 2007 06:36:31 PM »

I knit at my boyfriend's volleyball games. His teammates think it's hilarious and make fun all the time. I don't know the rules to volleyball, so I'd rather get something done while I'm there.
I also knit in class all the time. Some teachers let me, others ask me to stop, as if I can't listen to them talking if I have something in my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cuando despert, el dinosaurio todava estaba all.
-Augusto Monterroso
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Ways to Wear Gingham Skirts
4 Swimsuits Perfect for Any Body Type
Wear Gingham Without Looking Like a Picnic Blanket
How to Distress Jeans
Log Cabin Quilt Block Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...