A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Where you do it  (Read 40584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diosaperdida
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2006 08:31:52 AM »

I knit in church nearly every week - it's not a disrespect issue to me, I can't listen if my hands don't have something to do.  There are a handful of others who knit or crochet during the service at my church, and the pastor knows and doesn't mind.  I can see how some might think it's disrespectful, but often there's a reason to the madness   Cheesy

I actually can see your POV when you phrase it the way you did. Afterall..I am perfectly able to follow conversation or a TV program while knitting. Why wouldn't one be able to also follow a Sunday sermon? I suppose I thought that if one knitted in church they could be percieved as not paying attention. Come to think of it I always tell anyone that I am conversing with that I AM indeed paying attention if I start to knit while we're talking.
Anyway..thanks for the differing opinion. I usually find those are the ones I learn the most from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
diy_girl
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2006 08:54:46 PM »

I was told about a professor knitting during a college graduation ceremony.  this lady was not sitting in the stands but was seated with the graduating class.  I thought that that was a little inappropriate even though graduation ceremonies are extremely boring.  I would love to knit during class but I can see when not giving your full attention is disrespectful (it's like when you are talking to someone and they are not looking at you).  that's my two cents! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleDevil
Mostly harmless

the tooth fairy is a mountain devil

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2006 09:05:39 PM »

Similar to the knitting in church, one of my friends was recently on a Christian camp with her uni and said there was a girl who knitted during the talks. I'm sure the girl was listening and it might have even helped her concentrate and remember what was said (every time she looks at the thing she'll remember the talk) but my friend found it quite distracting because she kept watching this girl knitting.

I have a long drive to uni in heavy traffic and there are some times when I'd love to sit and knit in the traffic jams. (I've never actually done it though) It could be worse, I've seen people reading as they were driving! I kept well away from them Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2006 12:48:28 PM »

I feel the only place where you shouldn't knit (or craft) in public is a place where someone has asked you not to.

I'm still super pissed at a girl who was bitchy and told ME to move after I nicely asked her to not sit in the front row of my Government lecture and knit because it was distracting for me. I didn't care if she did it, I just didn't want her knitting right next to me. God she was rude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
amey
« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2006 08:34:09 PM »

I knit at Roller Derby this weekend.  I don't think it was inappropriate per se, but I did stick out a bit.  But, I managed to get half a sock knit (and a friend i went with took a turn, and was annoyed taht she hadn't thought to bring her knitting Wink ).

Yay Arizona Derby Dames!

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arsenic_girl
« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2006 09:50:59 PM »

I was ULTRA bored at a wedding this weekend, and was tempted to knit, but held myself back. I would be insulted if people were knitting at my wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcake-girl
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2006 11:53:15 PM »

I would say that knitting in religious services is between the worshipper and the worshipped and not to be judged by anyone.
On the other hand, if knitting interferes with another person's spiritual growth (or enjoyment of a movie), the distracted person should politely ask the knitter to refrain from knitting or to move seats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kikaszgrrl
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2006 06:22:07 PM »

I totally agree with you cupcake-girl. As long as the little noises aren't bothering anyone, why not? I've been glared at for knitting at work, even though everyone else was surfing the internet (which is grounds for termination).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
velveteen
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2006 06:56:31 PM »

I guess I would have been hurt if I found someone had been knitting at my wedding... I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to knit in church sometimes, tho! Other than that, I can't think of any inappropriate places to knit  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucylost
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2006 08:12:35 PM »

I usually only knit on the bus, or waiting for the bus, or on our breaks in the middle of class (3.5 hour classes, so we get a 15 minute break). One of my professors saw me knitting during the break and asked me why I didn't knit during her lectures - she seemed surprised when I told her I thought it might be rude! I generally just try to play it safe and don't knit when it is expected that I pay attention to whatever is going on. Even though I listen just as well when I am knitting, others can't tell that and may think I am not listening to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----

KCR++ Exp+ SPM- Bam++ Pl+ Addi+ Syn(-) Nov-- Cot+ Wool+ Lux? Hemp?>+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin-- Ent FI-@ Lace+ Tex++ Flat-- Circ+++ !DPN ML+++ !Swatch KIP++ Blog EZ+ FO- WIP+ GaugeF GaugeS+ GaugeDK+ GaugeW+ GaugeB- AltCr AltX

----END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Truffle Mac and Cheese Is Comfort Food at Its Finest
Gameday Recipes: Easy Beef and Black Bean Chili
Gameday Recipes: Maui Cheese-Steak Sliders
Gameday Recipes: Irish Stout Cheese Stuffed Burgers
How to Make Homemade Chips and Dips For the Big Game
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...