A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,308
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: needing closure  (Read 2062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2005 09:57:27 AM »

Hey crafty gals and guys..... When making purses and wallets, what type of closures do you prefer? Which ones look the most "professional"? Which do you avoid like the plague? And, lastly, have you ever come up with a truly cool and unique (and CRAFTY) way to close up a bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005 12:43:33 PM »

I haven't been doing this long, and I've only made four bags, but I hate velcro.  I think it looks cheap.  I refuse to buy things with velcro. 

I like magnetic snaps, hand-sewn-on metal snaps, zippers, and buttons.  I'm sure there are more that I would find appealing that aren't velcro. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005 02:00:51 PM »

Velcro is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
garyn
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005 07:01:24 AM »

you could buy a small piece of round elastic, make it into a loop, sew it into your top seam.... then put a button on the front of your bag, and the loop of elastic loops over the button to keep it closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005 05:14:16 PM »

im a big fan of the zipper. but get the big chunky kinda. they look nice and theyre easier to get stuff unstuck from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005 06:10:55 AM »

Love all of the ideas suggested here. 

More on christinanne's suggestion - The big resin chunky zippers can be pricey.  But, I have found them at Hancock's and I believe that Joann's has this as well in a "Make your own kit".  I get the heavy weight because of the look and the ease getting things unstuck.  You get 12 pulls and 3 yards of zipper.  I have been looking online for these in other colors, but have not been able to find the heavy weight with the selection I would like.  Hancock's had black, neutral, white and I believe navy.  As for Joann's, the closest one to me is about 4 or 5 hours away, but my aunt said she saw them there.

If you can find the time to go all the way through the Jordy tute in the Completed section - there are several different flap and tab sizes and uses that are fun and different, along with covered buttons, frog closures, various sizes of ribbon closures, and lots of other cool ideas.

Keep us posted.  We'd love to see what different types you end up using!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
garyn
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005 08:06:50 AM »

i don't think jo-ann's has the kits... (i work there) but they do have zipper pulls and zipper by the yard in the notions section by the nylon strapping. i'm pretty sure it's pretty inexpensive, but we only have it in black.

oh we might have the kits in the homedec section. i try to stay away from there though because i have no clue how to sew homedec stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sinisterspark
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005 05:34:30 AM »

I love magnetic closures because of all the noise I make while hammering :p

I sort of like the velcro in certain designs because it seems to fit the sporty, casual stuff.  It's so retro - it reminds me of 80's sneakers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005 06:13:56 AM »

i don't mind velcro, i think it can be really useful; it's very strong, and keeps things closed well, but it really isn't super attractive, true.

but here is an idea i found at target, on their cheap purses. ribbon ties.

just use a bit or ribbon or cording, and sew it between the layers of lining and outside fabric, the same way you do with the handle, and ta-da! there are your ribbon ties.

perhaps not a good closure for winter bags, but for summertime tores and cutesy girly bags, they work pretty well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005 08:20:19 PM »

i like the ribbon ties. for a bag i was originally making for a friend but wasnt happy with how floppy it was (dumb cheap ass interfacing) i used i a tie. heres the bag. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=33995.0it was made late at night and sadly i got sloppy. the kind of bag only a mother could love but i was still super excited to get it posted. weeeeeee

kinda along the same lies as the ribbon tie

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Looks from the Fashion Fund Presentations
VF SPECIALS: The Art of Weightlessness: Ralph Rucci
3 Awesome Coat Trends to Buy Right Now
The Right Way to Wear Knee-High Boots
How to Choose the Perfect Undergarments for Your Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...