A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how-to: woven circles trivet  (Read 75534 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , trivet , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

adaiha
« on: May 09, 2010 01:48:13 PM »

I found the gold and pink crocheted trivet pictured below at the thrift store this weekend, and it was a total "I can make that" moment.  The structure of the circles is made from plastic rings cut from one of those pieces that holds together a six-pack of soda.  The hardest part will be in finding plastic rings that are actually circle.  The sodas that were in my fridge (a Pepsi product) had "rings" that were more of an oval, almost D-like shape.  Luckily I had a rounded version laying around, though I have no idea what kind of soda it came from.  I am going to have to go to the 7-Eleven for research.  The nice round ones may very well be from beer cans.  The other kind may work, too, you would just have to adjust the pattern for the different shape.  The original was made with acrylic yarn, but I felt that cotton gave it a better look and added heat resistance.  Don't forget that there is still plastic in the rings!  I don't think you have to worry, however, because the thrifted version was definitely used by someone, and other than a small spot on one edge where the acrylic yarn has been slightly melted, it is in great shape (the rings are fine!).  If you're really worried about it or cannot find round soda rings, you could substitute canning gaskets or probably other circular things.  Let's get started!

What you need:

Worsted weight cotton yarn in colors that you like. I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream in Hot Pink and Lion Brand Lion Cotton in Orchid.

Round six-pack rings, trimmed apart into circles. They will not be perfectly circle and will have minor imperfections and stretched-out areas. See above photo on the left for what mine looked like. Don't worry about it too much because you won't be able to tell later. Just make sure the edges are smooth with no points.

Size H (5.0 mm) crochet hook

Begin by attaching your yarn with a slip stitch to a ring. Chain 3 and work 44 double crochet into the ring. Slip stitch to third chain of your beginning ch 3 to join. (See above and below. By the way, I took excruciatingly detailed pictures of pretty much every step, but I have come to the conclusion that I went overboard and they wouldn't be necessary. If you need any help with any of this, let me know and I can make the pictures available.)

If 45 dc seem to be too many or too few to fill up your ring, you can adjust accordingly! Weave in ends.

When I had made my six circles, I ironed them to get rid of a few bumps in the plastic I felt might show through.  I used my iron's setting for polyester, and pressed each side of the circle for a short time.  This isn't totally necessary, but I do think it helped.

Now lay them out like this with each ring overlapping the next:

You're ready to make the center ring.  I found the magic number for my beginning chain to be 45 (plus 3 for turning chain) again but before you commit to that length, weave the chain through the circles as shown below and remove chain stitches if necessary.  A tiny bit of overlap is a good thing.  Leave long tails for finishing off.  So:

Chain 48, double crochet into the third chain from your hook.  Double crochet in each remaining stitch.

Weave your center ring through your circles as shown above.  Adjust the ring to evenly show through each section.  You should have a slight overlap as shown below.

Fasten off behind a plastic ring, sewing the inner ring into a continuous loop.  I did not attach it to anything but itself.  Now you have a cluster of 7 interlocking rings.  You need to crochet the border around the outer rings to hold everything together securely.  The appropriate number of double crochets needed in each ring seems to be roughly a third of the number of double crochets you did into each individual ring.  

As pictured above, attach your yarn with a slip stitch to the first loop that shows just to the left of the next ring.

Chain 3, double crochet in each double crochet up to the next circle.  I used 14 in each circle.  Fasten off, and you're done!  Unless you want to add a decorative stitch to the edge of course!  I pressed it again with my iron on the polyester setting.  Please share pictures if you make one of these!  Feel free to add it to the Ravelry pattern page (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/woven-circles-trivet) I made for this tutorial, and please let me know if there is anything I could make more clear with additional photos or descriptions.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 02:02:40 PM by adaiha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nedrian
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010 01:58:04 PM »

this is AMAZING. thanks so much for sharing <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelayla82
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 02:04:34 PM »

Very cool.  Thanks for the instructions too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010 02:22:09 PM »

Very cute, and tclever!  Thanks for figuring out a pattern and sharing.  I love this kind of project - looks totally  awesome, yet doesn't require terribly complicated feats of crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
bahookie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010 02:24:24 PM »

WOW.  AT first glance that looked horrifically complicated and fiddly, but your tutorial makes it look doable.
I love this, I'm going to have to drink some beer to get started Smiley

Big giant thanks for this Smiley

Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elariane
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010 03:34:34 PM »

wow, i cant wait to try this one out! thanks for the instructions and for sharing

Oh and thanks for posting the link to the website...i just made an account and i love it. i cant wait to send some patterns to my Grandma and here craft group:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 07:27:08 PM by elariane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010 04:27:33 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing how to make one of these! It looks way more complicated than it actually is, but I never would have guessed. I'm working on a project now using cotton yarn and will probably have a bunch left over, so this seems like the perfect project for it. Of course, I'll probably have to buy a 6-pack of Bud (and then use it to make beer bread) to get the rings Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
thelostboys
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010 08:12:38 PM »

im thinking purses maybe u could substitute rubberbands for the rings i used them to make stretchy hemp bracelets one time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rrrat

little punky rat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010 02:16:10 AM »

very cool and clever! thank you for the instructions! I'll try to make it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorry for my english. from Russia with love! ^^"

http://formspring.me/rrrat - ask me anything
http://vk.com/rrrat
http://rrrat.ru - my blog (may be spoilers for swaps!) and my creative writing - all in russian
Mama__S
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010 05:30:11 AM »

I really love this!  I can't wait to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair
How to Curl Your Hair for a Taylor Swift Look
Kim Kardashian Inspired Boho Hairstyle Tutorial
How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
Debunking Hair Related Myths
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...