A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,207
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ugly fabric = pretty cool rag rug.....directions (mini tutorial) added  (Read 5655 times)
Tags for this thread: recycle , rug , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2010 06:31:22 PM »

I made this for my partner in the frugal living swap....let me be the first to say.....

I am NOT a knitter ...not at all!!!..... i can do squares and rectangles.... so I took what I knew and expanded as well as I could....and was actually pretty happy with the way it came out......

its made out of strips of old, ugly fabric....and knitted with size 19 needles....don't ask me what stitch, I don't know, its just the only one I know how to do...

would love to hear what you think......and thanks for looking

and because some of you asked......here are the added directions.....

the strips were about 1.5-2 inches wide,cut selvage to selvage, leaving the selvage on and totally cut freehand.... as long as they were "sorta" the same width they worked fine.
I cut little slits(half inch or so) in both ends of all the strips (about two inches from the end) ..... take two strips (strip A and strib B) put strip B through a slit in strip A, pull it through about 3 inches... then you take the long end of strip B and put it through the slit on the shorter end and pull.....repeating and repeating and repeating..... you can totally add more as you go.....and I have NO clue how many strips I used.

I cast on 22 stitches for the middle, and 8 for each of the sides.....22 is the most that would fit on the needles I had... and if i were to do it again.... I wouldnt do more than 18 for the middle.... 22 was kinda pushing it.....and then I just knit till it got to the length that I wanted.

I used a huge eyed sewing needle, with the same size stripsas i used to knit it, to sew the sides to the middle and to go around the edges.

if you have any other questions ... feel free to ask.... Grin

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010 09:01:57 PM by onegroovyday - Reason: to add directions » THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010 06:38:00 PM »

I love that, you did a great job! I could use about three of those in my kitchen  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010 06:42:06 PM »

I love it! I love all the great things we can make with ugly fabric once it is ripped to shreds
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Granite_turtle

Granite? Yes as in tombstones...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010 07:37:22 PM »

I really really like this!  I love how the colours worked out especially with the 3 panels and the dark blue seams.  Totally wish I had one for in front of my sink!

What kind of fabric was it (ie., cotton, t-shirt, etc.)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

After checking out Regretsy I'm pretty sure I could sell my stuff on Etsy.
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010 07:48:47 PM »

I really really like this!  I love how the colours worked out especially with the 3 panels and the dark blue seams.  Totally wish I had one for in front of my sink!

What kind of fabric was it (ie., cotton, t-shirt, etc.)?

it was just cotton... quilters cotton type fabric......and it feels really really good on bare feet......its squishy and bumpy at the same time....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sultrykitten
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010 07:57:20 PM »

I love this, it would go good in my bathroom lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_chan
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010 08:14:09 PM »

Love! And want to yoink your project. Tute please!!

i.e. how wide were the strips, how did you join the new strips to your work, how many stitches did you cast on?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010 08:55:35 PM »

Love! And want to yoink your project. Tute please!!

i.e. how wide were the strips, how did you join the new strips to your work, how many stitches did you cast on?

forgive me if this makes no sence.... remember Im not a knitter...........

the strips were about 1.5-2 inches wide,cut selvage to selvage, leaving the selvage on and totally cut freehand.... as long as they were "sorta" the same width they worked fine.
I cut little slits(half inch or so) in both ends of all the strips (about two inches from the end) ..... take two strips (strip A and strib B) put strip B through a slit in strip A, pull it through about 3 inches... then you take the long end of strip B and put it through the slit on the shorter end and pull.....repeating and repeating and repeating..... you can totally add more as you go.....and I have NO clue how many strips I used.

I cast on 22 stitches for the middle, and 8 for each of the sides.....22 is the most that would fit on the needles I had... and if i were to do it again.... I wouldnt do more than 18 for the middle.... 22 was kinda pushing it.....and then I just knit till it got to the length that I wanted.

I used a huge eyed sewing needle, with the same size stripsas i used to knit it, to sew the sides to the middle and to go around the edges.

if you have any other questions ... feel free to ask.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_chan
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010 06:52:50 AM »

Thank you for the tute! That's such a great way to avoid ugly bulky knots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zylo
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010 06:47:55 PM »

This turned out awesome. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the same thing, but now I might take the plunge. I hope mine turns out as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ISO Adjustment
How to Tale Digital Photographs
The Rules of Composition
A Guide to Sharing Your Digital Photos Online
How to Buy a Digital SLR
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...