A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie to Beading....help needed with freeform bracelet mess! LONG  (Read 994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftily-challenged
« on: April 20, 2010 09:25:23 AM »

Hello all  Smiley

As the title says, I'm new here.  Middle-aged lady, living in UK and just started beading for a hobby - would love to be able to make something good enough to sell one day, but right now I'd settle for something wearable!

I attempted a freeform peyote bracelet, took ages to do and I unpicked it and re-started about 5 times.  In the end I still wasn't 100% happy with it, but couldn't face doing any more work on it so I put it on and realised I'd made it too long (doh!).  I made another loop of beads further up the bracelet to use as a clasp and wore it twice until the "ball" part of the clasp broke (some of the beads just fell off! I've no idea why).  I attempted another (different type) clasp (3 times actually) and none of them really worked properly.  By this time the end beads were full of thread and I literally couldn't get another thread through them.  So my questions are these:

1.  What kind of clasp would you use on this?  (easy to make for beginner if possible)

2.  I made it with fireline (10lb), was that OK?  Is there something better that you'd use?  (i made a smaller one before with nymo and it fell apart the 1st time i wore it).

3.  When instructions tell you to leave a 6 inch tail and weave it in later, how do you do that?  I know this sounds a bit stupid, but my beading needles are too long to weave a 6 inch piece of anything and i can't imagine I'm supposed to do it by hand (??)

4.  Is there a foolproof method of joining thread whilst you're still beading?  I've tried a weavers knot with mixed success and also going around 4 beads in a circular pattern, but end up with a messy looking knot on the underside.

I've included a pic of my bracelet, just fyi (and so you can critique the thing, if you'd be kind enough), but I unpicked it on Sunday and can't decide whether to bother re-making it again (this would be the 6th time!!).

I have to admit here, although I'm sort of enjoying my new hobby, I am quite ham-fisted and inept, which is starting to make me feel a bit discouraged. Sad

Oh, I also tried to make a seed bead rose and just ended up with a scrunched lump of beads.  What gauge wire is best for this?  Is there a good tutorial?  The one I followed was for a full size rose and I want to make little ones, like for earrings.

Sorry this is so long.  thanks for reading.  If you reply and i don't say thank you right away, it's because my hard drive died on Friday and I'm using my hubby's PC and he keeps wanting it back. Angry

EDIT:  Doh, didn't know I couldn't post pics, here's the links:

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy110/thistledome_album/?action=view&current=freeformcuffmine1.jpg

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy110/thistledome_album/?action=view&current=freeformcuff1.jpg

PS
I'm looking forward to browsing this forum for information, but right now without my own PC I'm very limited for time Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010 01:17:10 AM »

I don't use fireline, so I can't answer your questions about that.  I use Nymo, C-lon, and Superlon for my bead weaving.  I wondered, when you first used Nymo, did you condition it with Thread Heaven, beeswax, or synthetic wax?  That would help to strengthen it, diminish fraying, and help knots to stay better.  Also, I leave a longer end to weave through, when adding new thread, and at the end of a project, weaving through and knotting extra when weaving through also.  As for clasping, what about makin it cuff style and using snaps?  You have a couple of options with that.  Mounting the beaded work onto a piece of fabric or leather and sewing the snaps onto the the fabric, or doing it directly onto the beading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
craftily-challenged
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010 10:52:13 AM »

Thank you Smiley

I never thought of using snaps.  I conditioned the thread with beeswax but I found it tangled really easily compared to the Fireline.  I think some of my peyote problems are caused by using cheap beads that are not uniform in size.  That's a good idea to mount the beads on fabric, but the freeform bracelet I want to make will have a lot of open spaces so probably wouldn't work for that particular piece. 

I love your little doggie  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 12:00:40 AM »

Thank you - that's Toby, my baby boy.  If you can get your hands on thread heaven, that is what I prefer over beeswax orr synthetic beeswax, you may find less fraying with that.  Especially if you run the thread through a few times and stretch it out.  Don't work with an excessively long line, especially if you have to pick out (I usually only work with an arm's length at a time).  If I find that the line is starting to fray, I recondition the remaining thread.  I also have both short and long beading needles in size 13 and 16.  Usually, I will use size 10/0 or 11/0 Czech seed beads which are more consistent than Chinese.  Or Japanese beads, like Delicas.  The latter are the most uniform, and have nice big holes, but are much pricier.  Toho makes their version too, but Delicas are more accessible to me (though I am dying to try Toho Aikos).

You could still mount on fabric - maybe some kind of webbing where you can cut away the open areas, or leather/felt where you can cut away the open areas and not have to worry about fraying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
craftily-challenged
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010 02:55:54 AM »

I never thought about cutting away the fabric, I can see that could work with the right material.

I'll get some Thread Heaven and yes I am using very long threads because I don't like joining.  Thanks for the tips.

Belly rubs to Toby. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010 11:39:04 AM »

BTW - I just realised I could be misinterpreted, when I say and arm's length, I mean my two arms held out - not the length of one arm, so probably about 3 yards. 

Toby always appreciates bellies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
4 Contouring Mistakes to Avoid
My Transformation From A Brunette To A Blond
Camo Confessions Reveal The True Beauty Beyond Cosmetics
Beauty Buying Guide: What Your Favorite Celebrities Love
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...