A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first time quilting anything  (Read 950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ahtchristina
« on: May 08, 2010 03:07:30 PM »

First off, I want to say that I apologize in advance if I screw up any of the terminology.  I'm so new to this it's ridiculous!!!  My mother-in-law is a quilting queen and helped me create this project.

Background - my mom cross-stitched the 8 pictures of farm animals in 1982 when she was pregnant with me.  My grandpa made frames for them and we've always had them.  I put them in my toddler's room and he promptly destroyed the frames.  So between broken frames and the desire to not put 8 holes in the newly painted walls, I decided to make these family treasures into something slightly less easily destroyed!

I asked permission from my mom first so that she would know that I wanted to add onto her work, not recreate it completely.  Once I had her blessing, my mother-in-law and I sorted through some fabric bits to see what would work best.  We found this awesome green, leafy design that couldn't have been more perfect if I made it myself!  She showed me how to cut the muslin for the back (that rolling cutting, pizza-cutting-looking tool is the coolest thing ever!), use a sewing machine (I've hemmed pants, and badly at that!), and most of all to be patient.  Together we pieced it together, and did everything but the last bit of hand stitching to attach the binding (sashing?) to the back.  She also showed me the niftiest stitch on her machine - it stitches in leaves on a vine, and all ou do is push the foot pedal!!!  (I'm sure you guys already know this stuff, but it's so cool to me!)  She even showed me how to write the dedication on the back to explain its history.  I couldn't have done this without my amazing mother-in-law.

So today I finally finished the project.  They just need to be cleaned (slight staining on one cross-stitch picture) and hung.

I am over flowing with pride and what I was able to accomplish!!!

I just have the one picture as I don't know really what you guys look at when you look at someone else's work, other than the overall piece.  Besides, you might faint if you saw some upclose stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010 04:03:23 PM »

What a wonderful way to preserve part of your family history!  Your project turned out really good!  Not only is the farm animal needlework great, but also that you and your MIL worked together to make something to share and treasure!!

I love the rooster and hen one the best...and you said these were cross stitched?  Wow--I think a close up would be wonderful!

The green background fabric is also perfect as it really does show off the animal pics...great job and I am smiling at your enthusiasm for things that I guess we more experienced seamstresses take for granted! ha ha pizza cutter thing! ha ha You are so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myguybri
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 09:14:35 AM »

That is a great way to incorporate the cross-stitch work from your mom!  And I think the green fabric looks fantastic Smiley  What a neat idea for a wall hanging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010 07:23:37 PM »

Lovely!  I am in awe oif your mom's patience to do so much x-stitch while pregnant!  I also am enjoying yur emthusiasm...i remember when I first discovered the rotary cutter!  I also think it is neat that your child(ren) will have something that was worked on by you and both grandmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeybeans
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010 07:28:21 PM »

That is so cool! What a wonderful piece of family history. Looks like you did a great job learning a new skill set. I wish I had a quilter in the family!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see what I've been up to at
http://megsmonkeybeans.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Row’s New Take on the Trench Coat
How to Eat All You Want on Thanksgiving and Still Look Great
Best Dressed and Sexy Trends at the 2013 American Music Awards
4 Cool Ways to Wear Plaid
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...