A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dairy-free camping food/s  (Read 1103 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewCZgal
« on: May 07, 2010 11:23:06 PM »

Hello,
I have recently developed dairy intolerance (even butter) and am sort of at a loss for ideas for food to eat while camping.
It seems that all (or majority, at least) the dehydrated packaged meals have cheese in it.
I would appreciate any ideas so that I don't have to be bloated all my hiking trip  Undecided

P.S. I do not mind spending hours pre-preparing those meals before setting off into the Rockies in June ...yippee!

Thanks for help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VeganPi
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010 10:12:06 AM »

Hi, I've hiked a ton as a vegan... I was going for super lightweight so I ate the same things over and over, but here are a couple of ideas:

breakfast - instant oatmeal packets, some flavors don't have dairy or there are ones that are just sweetened
lunch - I pretty much lived off of tortillas with peanut butter and raisins or craisins for lunch.  I'd buy the half-size jar of peanut butter for shorter trips, longer trips I just take a whole jar.  Also good to just eat a spoonful of pb for a snack.
dinner- REI/EMS/outdoors stores usually have a few dehydrated meals that are vegan/dairyfree.  all of them that I've had have been yummy.  Another idea is the instant couscous that comes with a flavor packet, a few of them are vegan.  Instant hummous or tabouli maybe?  I tried instant black beans and didn't so much like them - it felt like eating a brick. 
snacks - some granola bars are dairy free - try the weird health brand ones, clif or luna bars are dairy free, nuts/trailmix can be made with whatever you want and also can make a good lunch/breakfast if you eat enough of it.  I usually take a some dark chocolate bars so I have a dessert as well. 

I tried some freezedried fruits and veggies, but they got stale/softish after a few days, so if it you're only out a couple of days they are super lightweight and can add a nice touch to something like a couscous.

Hope that helps some.  I don't cook much when I hike, as I usually go out for weeks backpacking so it is limited to what I can make with boiled water! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Braided Undercut
Segmented Ponytail
Long and Woven Braid Tutorial
Hair Tyrant: Making Your Look More Memorable
Hair Tyrant: From Imitation to Inspiration
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...