A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Cloth Diapers...  (Read 1148 times)
Tags for this thread: cloth_diaper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Roxsun40
« on: May 07, 2010 12:30:22 PM »

I just sewed one cloth diaper and needless to say it did not turn out so great! Can someone please help me and explain how to sew the elastic where the leg holes are. I put all the fabric together inside out then I sewed around the outside of the fabric leaving a hole to turn it right side out. Then I took the elastic and sewed it on the fabric that was on the outside of the stitch where the legs go, I did stretch the elastic so the fabric would bunch. But after I turned the fabric right side out and then sewed around the edge the elastic looked all crazy. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trkingsley
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010 09:42:13 PM »

Hi, I sew baby dipes also.  A great site is diaperdivas.proboar ds.com 
They have really helpful info for fabrics, sewing tips, etc.  They have a lot of really good tutorials on diaper sewing.  There are so many different ways to sew in the elastic, most people use 1/4 or 3/8 poly braid or lastin - same widths.  The lastin needs to be sewn into the seam allowance with a 3 step zigzag stitch. If you are using lastin remember to stretch it a few times before you sew it down. The poly braid can be tacked at both ends and then sewn into a casing or threaded through a casing or sometimes it is zigzagged to the seam allowance on a turned and topstitched diaper.  I know it is confusing, seeing the photos and tutorials would help a lot.  Good luck and don't get discouraged.  Even dipes that aren't perfect can be perfectly usable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roxsun40
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 08:45:33 AM »

thank you so much! I am headed to that web-site now!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010 01:08:22 PM »

It might be easier to just sew a casing and thread the elastic, without sewing it to the fabric.  If you want to sew it straight to the fabric, definitely play around and see which stitch type, length, and tension works best.  You want to use a wide stretch or zig-zag stitch for it, and remember that the elastic will lose some of its stretch along the way.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
k8thagr8
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010 03:21:47 PM »

i tried to join that website to view the forum, but it looks like sign-ups are disabled.  anyone else have this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
Roxsun40
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010 11:39:30 AM »

yes I did too  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I.D.ten.T error

Randy Marsh, you're my hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010 06:21:16 PM »

i tried to join that website to view the forum, but it looks like sign-ups are disabled.  anyone else have this problem?
Im a member.  They disabled sign ups for awhile due to one of their members having issues with a stalker. (thats how great this board is, they take care of their own) I THINK you should be able to sign up now though.  Its a GREAT resource for sewing diapers and anything else baby/kid related as well as sewing and other crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Lamb Stew With Root Vegetables
How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make Egg and Cheese Sandwich
How to Make Grilled Sandwiches - Rueben Part 2
How to Make Grilled Sandwiches - Rueben
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...