A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - May 7, 2010  (Read 2516 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

.:dollface:.
« on: May 07, 2010 08:34:02 AM »

I finished school (diploma in Textile Arts) last week.. and I'm in the process of finding a job, so I got 3 skeins of yarn spun this week! lol

(colors are less blue in person)

left to right:
"Coco-chineal" 86 yards, merino, hand dyed with cochineal

(untitled) 32 yards, perendale, local sheep (from Ontario) and merino (?), hand dyed and commercially dyed.  This was my attempt at patchwork yarn.  I'm still working out the kinks, there were a lot of spots that were just one color.

(untitled)
30 yards, local sheep (from Ontario), drop spindled and then plied on my spinning wheel

I can't wait to see everyone's yarns!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010 08:41:55 AM »

I left my camera at my DD's house last month.   I'll try to get pictures using my phone, but it's an old phone!

eta: pictures!

This past week I've been spinning natural colored grey/brown (70% Churro, 30% alpaca), chain plyed into sock weight yarn. then knitting into pair of knee socks for DH using the Jaywalker pattern.  He'll be using these for reenactments.  I'm working on the heel of the 2nd sock.

Wednesday I spun 70% Coopsworth / 30% silk then plyed it into baby weight.  Total yardage of finished yarn was 240 yards.

Yesterday I started unknown lambs fleece with kid mohair, spun cobweb weight.  I think this will be for a shawl.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010 02:42:47 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010 08:42:36 AM »

yummy yarns!  and yay for finishing school!  I wanted to go for texitle arts/fiber arts.  but I can't see it being a viable carrer where we live...  So pastry chef it will be eventually!  I keep meaning to gegt back to the wheel.. I've  got 3 yarns ordered, all for whom are family and know I'm busy, but really?  I can't get to my wheel? I'm sure I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010 08:52:14 AM »

yummy yarns!  and yay for finishing school!  I wanted to go for texitle arts/fiber arts.  but I can't see it being a viable carrer where we live...  So pastry chef it will be eventually!  I keep meaning to gegt back to the wheel.. I've  got 3 yarns ordered, all for whom are family and know I'm busy, but really?  I can't get to my wheel? I'm sure I can.

Textile arts is a hard career any where I think, but if you love something and it makes you unbelievably happy,.. shouldn't you follow that dream?

there is always time to spin!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
jexxican
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010 01:51:13 PM »

dyed in cochineal? That's pretty rad.

I think I could do textiles as a career. I think I would be better at it than Interior Design. I don't know why I even tried for that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010 01:55:38 PM »

This is the main thing I've been working on this week. I've been spinning up this awesome carded Sari silk. It has been so much fun to spin! I still have about half a batt left.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010 02:45:22 PM »

Loving that sari silk combo!

(actually, I'm loving that baby foot to the left!  I'm going up Sunday to see my 3 month old granddaughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010 03:54:25 PM »

I love all the yarns this week!

mullerslanefarm:  I can't wait till I actually have enough control over my spinning to choose which weight I'm spinning!  Right now I'm just happy if it holds together as a yarn.  :-)  I really like that natural churro/alpaca yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010 04:13:26 PM »

nikschaf, let me let you in on a secret of a non-technical spinner (me).  I spin how the the fiber tells me it wants to be spun.  I don't try to force a batt of mixed short/long staple lengths with extras in it to be spun into a fine thread.  Then again, I don't try to force a real smoothly combed top into trying to be spun into a bunch of beehives and chunky yarn.

When I want chunky yarns, I put them through the carder fewer times and add various staple lengths.  When I want a fine yarn, I comb the fiber (or by a nice parallel carded roving and split it length-wise at least 3 times.)

I don't fight the fiber!

The churro/alpaca socks are turning out wonderful!  After spinning and plying, I really took that yarn to task and beat the heck out of it during washing it.  I've made my DH too many sock that after the first gentle wash shrunk enough to fit me.  (okay, maybe I planned it that way!)  Knowing how much alpaca material fulls, I wanted to felt this yarn as much as possible before knitting it.

The yarn went from a 'normal' sock yarn (1) size to baby weight (2) size with the felting.  I usually knit socks on size 0 or 1 needles.  I'm using a size 3 on these and cut the cast on of 76 to 51.  They look huge but fit my DH well.

The pics really suck.  The color of the coopsworth/silk in the pic isn't doing it justice.  It is mostly a green with hint of yellow and blue silk throughout.  The colorway is called "Leopard Frog".  Same with the lamb/mohair, very washed out pic.  It is red & green with touches of yellow.  From the distance it looks to be a light brown, but close up the red and green and distinct.  Since it has mohair in it, I'll wash it hard to get the halo forming before I knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

The Angry Hippie
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010 09:46:12 PM »

I hadn't spun any thing in over 3 months.   BUT luckily i got my act back together! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Set Up A Holiday Yogurt Brunch Buffet
A Pizza ... In a Cheeseball?!
A Cannoli Cheeseball?! Learn How to Make This Delicious Treat
Try This Honey-Dijon Twist on a Delicious Party Dish
Your Party Guests Will Love This Hawaiian Cheeseball
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...