A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,880
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Matching T-shirt Dress for Daughter and Stuffed Animal **Pic Heavy Tutorial**  (Read 1236 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JulieMom
« on: May 07, 2010 04:18:42 AM »

This is a t-shirt dress I made for my niece. I added ruffles to the collar, and a cupcake applique to the front. Then I added coordinating material to the bottom of the t-shirt to turn it into a dress.

Here's a link to the .pdf if you want to download it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?x3jhn3qqk1j

Materials:
T-shirt
Matching thread
Sewing machine
Straight pins
Material to make the skirt

**Wash and dry both material and t-shirt before sewing**

**If you want to embellish your t-shirt in any way (like I did with the cupcakes and ruffles) then do it now before you cut it and start to sew. It will be a lot easier now, than trying to add do-dads after you have a pretty full skirt around the bottom.**

STEP ONE:
Try your t-shirt on the intended wearer, and mark where you want the skirt to start.

Then lay your t-shirt flat on a counter (or some other solid surface) and cut it straight across on your mark.

The bottom will roll up on you, but don't worry about that.
Kinda looks like a google-eyed monster, doesn't it?

STEP TWO:
Measure the width of the t-shirt where you just cut it off, and make a note of it. If it's not on an even inch mark, round up to the nearest full inch. (For example, if your shirt is thirteen and 3/4 inches, round up to 14 inches.)

STEP THREE:
Have the intended wearer slip the cut shirt on, and measure from the bottom of the shirt to where you want the length of the skirt to stop.

Remember to add two inches for hemming, and sewing the shirt to the skirt.

STEP FOUR:
Fold your chosen material in half width-wise, making sure your desired length will still fit. (We will be cutting on the fold to make to skirt panels.) For example, if your material is 45 inches in width, fold it in half to make it 22.5 inches wide. This was the perfect length for me, so I didn't need to trim it at all.

Measure across your material double the width of the t-shirt you measured in step two. Why? Well, we want our skirt to be a little gathered and full, don't we? And we can't gather a skirt that is the exact width of the shirt we're sewing it to. So we double the width and add a few inches for seam allowances.

(My t-shirt measured 14 inches across, so I doubled that to 28 inches. Then I added two inches for seam allowances, so my width was 30 inches.)

Cut at the mark you measured for your width. Then (if folded) cut your material on the fold to make two panels. One will be for the front of the skirt, and the other for the back.

Your two panels.
[If your material isn't wide enough to fold, then measure your desired width first, and mark it. Measure your desired length, then cut on your marks. Make two panels this size. Continue on to step five.]

STEP FIVE:
Lay one panel right-side down on your ironing board. Press the bottom hem on your panel up toward the wrong side, keeping in mind your measurements. Do the same for the other panel.

STEP SIX:
Lay your panels right-sides together. Pin down one short side, and sew the seam. (I don't pin with cotton. It doesn't slip much. But I DO hold it rather tightly to make sure the edges are lined up.)

STEP SEVEN:
Now that your panels are attached, sew up your bottom hem.

Then sew up the final side seam.And press your side seams open.

STEP EIGHT:
Now, turn your skirt right-side out. Set your stitch to the longest length, because we will be sewing a basting stitch now around the top of the skirt. DO NOT backstitch at the beginning or end. I started at the top of one of the side seams and sewed all the way around so I could keep an eye on where my beginning stitch was.

At your ending stitch, leave a long enough tail to tie a couple knots. I usually leave two or three inches of thread to work with.

STEP NINE:
Tie a couple knot in one set of threads you just sewed, either the beginning or the ending threads. NOT both! Then cut the excess thread to get it out of your way.

Now, gently pull on one string of the threads you didn't knot. It will gather your material. You will have to slide the gathers down the thread to evenly distribute them.

You want to end up having your gathered material the same width as the bottom of your t-shirt.

(Your material will be right-side out, so ignore my inside-out material.)

When your skirt is the desired length, tie off the thread you were pulling on with a couple sets of knots. Trim the excess.

STEP TEN: (I didn't get a picture of this step for some reason. Sorry!!)
Turn your t-shirt inside out. Slip the bottom of your skirt into the neck of the t-shirt and pull it through. Align the bottom edge of the t-shirt with the top edge (the gathered edge) of your skirt. This makes the right side of your t-shirt and the right side of your skirt facing one another. You can kinda see it in the pic below.

STEP ELEVEN:
Line up one side seam of your skirt with one side seam of the t-shirt. Pin in place. Do the same for the other side. (No pics of this either. Sorry.)

Then pin all the way around, making sure the gathers are even. As you can see, I didn't skimp on the pins. You can use less if you want. I need all these pins!! And I think the more you pin, the less likely your knit is to stretch and get puckered.

STEP TWELVE:
Very slowly and very carefully sew around the perimeter of your skirt/t-shirt. Pull out the pins as you go along. DO NOT try to sew over your pins, as you will probably hit one and break your needle. Not cool.

Turn your dress right-side out and slip it on the intended wearer.

Watch her prance and do ballet! Admire your handiwork, and get a cup of tea. Or coke. Or water. And relax a few minutes before starting the next one.

Oh, and double check to make sure none of your basting stitches are showing on the dress. If they are, carefully remove them with a seam ripper. You want a clean look, not sloppy.

Good luck, you can do it!!

And if you'd like to make a matching one for your daughter and a beloved animal, just start the animal's with an infant size t-shirt. The kangaroo in this pic is the size of a Build-A-Bear animal, and the infant shirt I bought was 6-12 months.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010 05:33:23 AM by JulieMom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Itouchedabee

You sound reasonable...Time to up my medication.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010 04:55:43 AM »

That is really cute! I like the colours and the cupcakes - yum. Might make a shorter dress version for myself,t hanks for the pdf Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love you please don't beat me with a stick! ( or will this cost extra?)
JulieMom
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010 10:42:36 AM »

No problem! I hope it's clear. If not, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to explain anything. :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deeredone2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010 04:53:58 PM »

Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
How to Make Spider Rainbow Sushi
How to Make Big Eye Tuna Sushi
How to Order at a Chinese Restaurant
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...