A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First skein of wool on my CD spindle  (Read 2203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: May 07, 2005 10:31:10 PM »

I have been lurking on craftster for a while but tonight I happened across this board and it inspired me to finish plying my wool of my cd spindle. Bare with me, I dont know the terms or the names of the gadgets. I thought I would post a picture of the wool. I used a CD spindle then took it off onto some little gadget my grandpa made me that aloud me to double ply the one strand (I think some people use their hands to do this but when I tried my finger turned purple before I aborted that method).

This wool is some my father bought my mother for Christmas. There was 10 lbs of it so she sent it off to have it washed and when she got it back we were both a little overwhelmed at the size of the bag. In the end I got lucky and got a bunch of this nice roving. I can experiment now. I'm very new to spinning though (I happened across a free ashford wheel but still feel a little overwhelmed by it so I'm still working with the drop spindles.)

and closer up

Its not perfect but I do enjoy that I did it!

Im not sure if my picture are showing up so here are the links.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010 09:51:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love crochet patterns & crochet hats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005 05:15:46 AM »

Hey, looks great!  I just started spinning (the past three days) and I haven't gotten nearly that much!  It also looks like your yarn is very even and there are no major lumps or anything.  How many yards did you spin?
I too have a CD Spindle and it seems to be working just fine.  I haven't gotten how to draft yet as the spindle always seems to undwind while I take my second hand off it. 
Have you ever thought of dying your wool?  If you have a ton of roving, you could always experiment with that so you wouldn't have miles of cream yarn sitting around.  Just a thought...
Anyways, good luck, and keep us updated with any more fibers you might be making (you shouldn't have any problem with as much roving as you have...)!

My Etsy: www.jjcrochet.etsy.com
My Website: http://www.jjcrochet.com
My Blog (with free crochet + knit patterns!): www.jjcrochet.com/blog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005 06:37:42 AM »

I'm not sure on the yardage. How do you measure it. I found the CD spindle to spin quite well. better than a dowel with a toy wheel. I have 2 cds on the dowel. I would like to try coolaid dying but was thinking I would dye the wool after it was spun but I guess its before?? Guess I need to read up on that. I would like to dye some for blue.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005 08:13:39 AM »

This looks incredible for a first attempt, I wish my first try looked that nice.

I love that you are using a cd spindle. I learned on  friend's spindle and then I went home and made a cd spindle to tide me over until I could get a real one, but it ended up working so well that I decided not to buy a premade model.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005 11:05:20 AM »

you can measure your yarn a few different ways. you can wind off the yarn from your spindle onto a niddy noddy (which are super easy to make) or the back of a chair. measure the distance in inches for one time around. then count how many times you have gone around winding it all off. multiply the two numbers and that is how many inches. divide by 36 and you will know how many yards you have =)
your yarn looks great =)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005 11:25:45 AM »

Oh great idea. I actually used the niddy noddy last night (The name escaped me then) so tonight I will count the number of times it went around and measure to try this out. Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005 11:23:58 AM »

Very nice - especially for a first try!  I've been spinning for a good two years now, and most of my yarn looks like yours -  Cheesy

Also, if you want to try kool-aid dying, it can be done before or after the yarn is spun.  Dying the roving will result in more even colour, but you can dye yarn varigated if you dye it as yarn.  The only thing to remember to to let the yarn soak for longer than roving - it'll take longer for the yarn to become completely wet. 

Visit my Etsy Shop - http://www.nevermore.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making your own Jewellery, Make Bead Earrings
Jewelry Making
Jewellery Making Ideas
Jewelry Making Patterns
How to Make Bead Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...