A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glue for metal clutch frame purse making?  (Read 9148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ksew
« on: May 06, 2010 12:13:30 PM »

I've recently started making purses with the metal clutch frames. The ONLY glue I've read about that works for this gluing metal to fabric is the Gutermann Creativ HT2 Textile Glue. This comes in very small tubes and is quite expensive. Not to mention I haven't found any for sale in the US. Does anyone know of an alternative that works just as well? thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010 12:41:29 PM »

Actually, you should sew them or crimp them, not glue them.  This is how it's done:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4797991_sew-purse-frame.html

If you do a little search, you'll find other similar tutorials, with pics and all.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010 12:51:04 PM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
christianmarie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 01:13:55 AM »

Uhu glue works well. http://3dpatternpaper.etsy.com has it. I highly recommend them for purse frames and other metal junk too. The guy who runs it is super awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenneedleart
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010 07:23:19 AM »

There's one gal on Etsy - out of New Jersey - who sells this particular glue. Apparently, she is the ONLY supplier in the US. She charges a bit more than the folks 'across the pond', if you consider the S&H, transit time and all that - it may be worth it. Her link is here - http://www.etsy.com/shop/whilebabynaps?ref=seller_info. I've heard from resource after resource, that this is THEEE glue to work with when you're constructing metal frame purses. I soooo wish there was something comparable that was a wee bit less expensive...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pyrogrl
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010 12:00:44 AM »

I've found that - if you don't mind the fumes (which is one of the big things the Gutermann doesn't have) - the E-6000 works well. I've had a few frame clutches I've made with this for a few months now, and they've held up quite well. The nozzle is a bit bigger, so you have to be careful when applying it to the channel, but I've found that less is more on that anyway. Also, not sure if you've read this tip already, but letting it dry for 3 minutes or so till it's tacky and not wet anymore, and then pushing the fabric in makes a huge difference. I haven't found the need to crimp at all, which I love since I don't like the look of it or of sew-in frames.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my Etsy shop: cuppafog.etsy.com

my blog: Cuppa Fog Blog
cararbolkeax
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010 07:57:20 AM »

Ive made quite a few and have used  a lot of different glues, my favourite is gueterman creativ HT2 that I bought in Germany. I have also used UHU and other all purpose glues, just check on the back for the surfaces that they work on, usually theres a long list and somewhere it says metal or something Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fake Blood for Halloween
Non-Linear Editing Basics in Final Cut Pro
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
How to Look Good on a TV Interview
Creating the Ideal Recording Environment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...