A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 2591 - 50s-style sundress w/ pockets  (Read 5125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: May 05, 2010 04:15:58 PM »

I just finished Simplicity 2591, of which I've seen a couple versions around here on Craftster. Here's the link to my full posting on it:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=346549.0

And here's some of the others on Craftster:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=344211.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342599.0 (The Sponge Bob one)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330630.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=323392.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309211.0

It was very frustrating, though I love the results. I should have picked a simpler pattern for my very first dress. Here's a quote from my reply to a question regarding a Simplicity pattern:

"It's only the second Simplicity pattern I've used, but I've noticed they are always waaaaay too big. My dress states right on the pattern piece the finished bust measurement and the ease. According to the pattern envelope, I needed a size 12 bust because I'm 34 inches around. However, on the pattern, size 12 gives a finished measurement of 37 inches because of 3 inches of ease. BUT, the size 8 gives a finished measure of 34.5 inches. So I did a size 8 bust but with 4/8 seams instead of 5/8 seams so that in total, I'll have about an inch of ease.

The waist was more work, though. I had to measure across all the pattern pieces at the waist for my "proper" size (in this case 30 inches = size 16), subtract 5/8 inch for each seam that the measuring tape went across, and I discovered it was EXACTLY the same amount of ease as for the bust, so I went down two sizes as I had for the bust portion. Then it was just a matter of making the lines neatly curved from size 8 bust to size 12 waist.

I used 4/8 seams across the whole thing to make sure there was SOME ease, although you would suspect from the envelope picture that it's supposed to be a fitted dress, not a sack. Seriously, 3 inches?!?! I could stuff a cat down my front!"

Also, I didn't understand the instructions for turning the pocket towards the centre. I couldn't visualize how I was supposed to attach the bias side-front piece if the pocket seam was... unavailable. So my pockets are not quite as they should be. Also, I took the shoulders up alot to compensate for the gapping of the neckline (I know, I know, I should have done a FBA), so now the bust dart is too high. Oh, and it's too tight because I ran out of fabric, so the back bodice piece is an inch narrower than it should be. Otherwise, it would fit much better.

This is definitely a gorgeous pattern, though. I adore the construction, the instructions were very easy to follow except for that pocket bit, and the length is super cute on my 5'4" frame.

I would totally recommend this pattern. I gotta start taking my own advice, though, and make muslins Tongue

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010 04:24:22 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

magical_otter
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010 11:59:26 PM »

I tried this pattern myself yesterday, and although I'm happy with the eventual result, the pockets did reduce me to tears at one point.
I also found the neckline really wide, although this might be my narrow back, as it fit fine at the front but I had to take in the back bodice a lot.
I have used Simplicity patterns before, and I would again.

Alexus1325, I found your review really helpful in terms of the bust measurements!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AndRead
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010 09:07:26 PM »

Love your version--that fabric is perfect for this style. I just finished this dress tonight! I also got a little weirded out by the pocket instructions. Here is a picture of mine:

Simplicity 2591 #2 by A Serine, on Flickr
Great job on a cool pattern.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011 09:22:29 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010 10:14:02 PM »

I've gotta try this. 

and I love your fabric pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010 10:46:32 PM »

oooh, so pretty, and you chose a great fabric for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maliceson
Queen of the midnight thrift store heists

Bite Size

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010 07:41:03 AM »

I love this pattern and I love the fact that you put up a colab of all the others.
Your pink material is fantastic.
Another thing, my man always ends up making me spend more at the fabric shop,
lucky for us they have good taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Ali

I like makin' my own clothes, wanna make a quilt,  wish I knew how to knit, and just started making jewelry...where am I gonna go from here?
paulinerose
Vintage inspired design

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011 12:26:46 AM »

I just made this pattern and I thought it was pretty easy. The pocket part was a bit confusing but I figured out the trick, I cant explain it well, but I will post a pic tomorrow. I posted my version here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375556.0

I also made a cotton version I will post soon. I plan to make a bunch more of these! As for the fit, I made mine for a customer and it fits the form to her exact measurements and I cut out sz 16. She has yet to try it on, But to me it looks like it will fit her fine. I will post back with the results of that tomorrow after her fitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lolos Attic

Paper cutting of a daisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012 06:31:01 AM »

Your boyfriend's right - that fabric is perfect for a little sundress.  Would have wanted a fuller skirt, I think, but I like to twirl.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, and cabbages, and kings.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raw Food Spring Rolls
Filling Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make a Raw Red Thai Curry
Red Thai Curry Ingredients
Making the Thai Paste for Red Thai Curry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...