A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster logo screen for printing  (Read 3655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: May 05, 2010 10:22:27 AM »

Putting the screen at the top so it shows up as the thumbnail for the post: 

I decided to make a craftster shirt. Not just ANY craftster shirt, but one with a pink skull and scissors!!  Inspiration hit me at the craft store, where I ran across the Jones Tones foil  (this stuff: http://www.jonestones.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=49ad75df00fa600b870aef821bd6d36b ). Sparkly! The projects look amazing! Quick and Easy it says!  Just put the glue on the back of the foil, plop it on your project, apply pressure for an hour, peel off the foil and voila! Instant craftster art!

Or not.

Hmmm.... apparently, I used too much glue (because it never said "thin layer" anywhere on the package or the website), which got all over the place, and didn't dry in an hour.  *sigh*  So I decided to buy some fabric paint to fix it. The best match (oddly enough, very few fabric paints come in sparkly pink. Go figure!) was a color called Cosmopolitan by Plaid. Hurray!  http://www.plaidonline.com/apSimplyScreen.asp
Of course, when I got it home, I read the "screen printing" part.  So I decided to make one.  They weren't going to have a cool craftster screen premade anyway.  And BethieB pointed me to a tutorial for making a screen for printing that ACTUALLY USED THINGS I ALREADY HAD!!!  *ahem*  Here's the tutorial:  http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-finally-screen-printed-with-mod-podge.html

And finally, here's my screen: 

I admit, my first screen print didn't come out as well, but fortunately, this time I tried it out on scrap fabric (instead of the final shirt), and I think it will work on the next few. Here's a shot of the trial: 

And the original shirt?  I actually couldn't use the screen with it because it was so messed up (and I'd put the skull and scissors further apart), so I went back and used the dry method of Jones Tones foiling instead of the wet glue method, and it's no longer as bad, though the scissors still aren't optimal.

I also covered the pink part with glow-in-the-dark paint. I'm hoping it will seal the foil layer, and the only thing cooler than a sparkly craftster logo is a sparkly, glow-in-the-dark craftster logo!  I ended up using Tulip Soft matte black paint in the box around the skull to hide the Jones Tones glue that "dries clear" (the matte paint picked up more of the camera light than it does without a flash on it). 

Lessons learned: If they don't tell you how much glue, start small. If worse comes down to worse (and it could), you can always add more.

If you're screen printing, try to keep the screen as taut and close to the fabric you're printing as possible, otherwise, you may just smear your scissors!  Smiley  Oh, and don't believe the Plaid people about not needing something underneath it when you print. It bled through, but fortunately, I had a paper bag behind it (because I've done fabric paint before, and it really sucks if it bleeds through. Though not as much as it does if it bleeds through and sticks the front of your garment to the back...).

I'll see if I can get another screen done before the end of the challenge, so I have a good shot of the result.  I don't expect to win, but it was still a fun challenge.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010 08:15:33 AM »

Thanks for the link, and keep trying.  I have everything but the ink and modgepodge, so I will see what I can do with what I have. I'll show you if I ever get this done, as I have wanted to try screenprinting for a long time.

Kudos, and this is the perfect logo to start with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Muria
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010 04:37:36 PM »

It's about the only logo I might want to use more than once.  Smiley  The one thing I found that made it difficult was that I had the sheer fabric about an inch away from the picture, and it was easy to accidentally line up with the shadow of the mod podge instead of the actual mod podge. I'm hoping to get a set of prints up before the end of the challenge, like the famous set of Marilyn pictures by that artist whose name I can't remember for the life of me (the one who did the Campbell's soup still life). AHHHHHH!  I can't believe I can't remember the guy's name!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
schnerby
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010 06:08:13 PM »

Andy Warhol, but don't stress.

Keep tryin, and thanks for sharing the journey with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010 10:43:47 AM »

Yep, that's it!  I can't believe I couldn't remember it.  All I was coming up with was Ansel Adams, and I know that was wrong (must have been the A first name).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010 02:07:26 PM »

Thank you for doing this. I tried it from the tute link.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg4037991#msg4037991

So now I know what to do next time. But it was a lot of fun. Oh, I used elmer's. The Cheapo's cheat.
Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010 12:27:51 PM »

I really admire your persistence, I would have given up when the first try didn't work out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Muria
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010 07:02:34 AM »

I really admire your persistence, I would have given up when the first try didn't work out. 
It was tempting, but it was for a swap package. Things I would have thrown in the corner and never looked at again for anyone else somehow manage to get done for a swap package.  Wink

Lovesclutter, it's nice to see that someone else didn't quite get it on the first try. Great job on the final!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Orange and Grilled Pork Salad
How to Make Grilled Chicken Legs with Peach Molasses
Grilled Spicy Skirt Steak
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
The Secret to Grilled Brats
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...