Putting the screen at the top so it shows up as the thumbnail for the post:
I decided to make a craftster shirt. Not just ANY craftster shirt, but one with a pink skull and scissors!! Inspiration hit me at the craft store, where I ran across the Jones Tones foil (this stuff: http://www.jonestones.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=49ad75df00fa600b870aef821bd6d36b
). Sparkly! The projects look amazing! Quick and Easy it says! Just put the glue on the back of the foil, plop it on your project, apply pressure for an hour, peel off the foil and voila! Instant craftster art!
Hmmm.... apparently, I used too much glue (because it never said "thin layer" anywhere on the package or the website), which got all over the place, and didn't dry in an hour. *sigh* So I decided to buy some fabric paint to fix it. The best match (oddly enough, very few fabric paints come in sparkly pink. Go figure!) was a color called Cosmopolitan by Plaid. Hurray! http://www.plaidonline.com/apSimplyScreen.asp
Of course, when I got it home, I read the "screen printing" part. So I decided to make one. They weren't going to have a cool craftster screen premade anyway. And BethieB pointed me to a tutorial for making a screen for printing that ACTUALLY USED THINGS I ALREADY HAD!!! *ahem* Here's the tutorial: http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-finally-screen-printed-with-mod-podge.html
And finally, here's my screen:
I admit, my first screen print didn't come out as well, but fortunately, this time I tried it out on scrap fabric (instead of the final shirt), and I think it will work on the next few. Here's a shot of the trial:
And the original shirt? I actually couldn't use the screen with it because it was so messed up (and I'd put the skull and scissors further apart), so I went back and used the dry method of Jones Tones foiling instead of the wet glue method, and it's no longer as bad, though the scissors still aren't optimal.
I also covered the pink part with glow-in-the-dark paint. I'm hoping it will seal the foil layer, and the only thing cooler than a sparkly craftster logo is a sparkly, glow-in-the-dark craftster logo! I ended up using Tulip Soft matte black paint in the box around the skull to hide the Jones Tones glue that "dries clear" (the matte paint picked up more of the camera light than it does without a flash on it).
Lessons learned: If they don't tell you how much glue, start small. If worse comes down to worse (and it could), you can always add more.
If you're screen printing, try to keep the screen as taut and close to the fabric you're printing as possible, otherwise, you may just smear your scissors!
Oh, and don't believe the Plaid people about not needing something underneath it when you print. It bled through, but fortunately, I had a paper bag behind it (because I've done fabric paint before, and it really sucks if it bleeds through. Though not as much as it does if it bleeds through and sticks the front of your garment to the back...).
I'll see if I can get another screen done before the end of the challenge, so I have a good shot of the result. I don't expect to win, but it was still a fun challenge.