A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Dress Form - Blue Duct Tape  (Read 26966 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crafty-Kat
« on: May 05, 2010 09:00:53 AM »

This is my first topic so please bear with me Grin

I'm very excited about how well the dress form turned out and just wanted to share it with you all!
With many thanks to my wonderful fella for making it look so amazing and it was lots of fun to make.
Sorry for the number of massive photographs I may have been over excited....

I used-
100m of bright blue gaffa/duct/duck tape (about 10 from eBay- you can use any colour of course!)
1 black bag/sack
Clingflim
A pair of scissors
About 3Kg of stuffing
and a lovely patient assistant!

If you are going to give this a go make sure you have a drink nearby and tie your hair up before you start if it will come into contact with your dress form as you wont be able to lift you arms up very easily ....or walk very far! (as the photo proves I didn't have much mobility but did feel like a super hero, sorry its blurry, my house mate was mid-giggle).

I put on a black bag bin liner, with arm and neck holes cut roughly into the top. I then taped down the excess -which was quite a lot -to give it a bit more shape before the wrapping and to help reduce crinkles and folds in the final finish.

It took about 2hours to wrap (having never tried it before it was a bit of trial and error to begin with!). You can use paper tape, but I have seen it peel off as it dries out so I wanted something a bit stronger.

Wrap under the bust area first which will help stop the black sack from moving. If you need to extend any areas (We needed to on the neck, arms and legs) then wrap a layer of clingfilm around the area so that you can continue wrapping without it sticking to you! The first layer was used to get the basic shape, making sure it was pulled tight against your skin at this stage will save a lot of time later! And will also make sure its a nice finish.  We wrapped 2 layers on most areas, with 3layers in parts that needed more stability i.e. the bust, shoulders, under arms etc.

After cutting it off then taping it back up the back, I stuffed it with polyester toy filling over two days to allow for expansion after the initial stuffing. (Please ignore the mess! I decided this was more interesting then putting the washing away)

I decided on polyester even though I know this blunts pins as I wanted a stiff form but light which held its shape well even over time which I didn't think I could get with news paper/plastic bags/old clothes.

I also considered foam filling (the kind you find in a can that expands) but I wanted to have more control on the filling then this would allow me as gaffa/ gaffer/ duct/ duck tape doesn't hold its shape perfectly (i.e. doesn't stay cylindrical but rather more round!)

I inserted a coat hanger to enable hanging, which is supported by the shoulders. I padded the coat hanger with some of the polyester filling so that it didnt sit too high in the form then continued stuffing around it!

I cut the base, arms and neck shapes out off cardboard to insert into the gaffa tape shell to stop the stuffing falling out and then taped them sealed, make sure you do the neck one last as this is where you stuff from and therefore you can adjust the stuffing easily and ensure a hole for the coat hanger is in the right place. You can also build a stand into the dress form, but I don't think our flat is quite big enough for that!
The base isn't quite straight but as I will be hanging it this doesn't really matter to me, it just makes my shoulders look wonky when its free standing on the floor.

After hanging for 3days I patched up the areas where some of the tape has slipped/stretched slightly-only about 1mm! and also covered any messy bits with the remainder of the tape. And I even fashioned a gaffa ring for my dear boyfriend as a thank you!

The proud man-

And he says he isn't crafty! He is going to sign the neck panel for me too.

Thanks for looking Grin Any C&Cs are always welcome!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010 03:55:30 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keeping my self sane with crafty distractions
I absolutely LOVE swaps

My Wists:
http://wists.com/crafty-kat/

My deviantART:
http://hunter-creations.deviantart.com/gallery/
jwill
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010 10:11:04 AM »

Wow that turned out great! I want to make on when I get more time/space but I'm sure mine will turn out no where near as great as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010 10:28:50 AM »

That looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010 04:05:16 PM »

What a lovely documentary on your process!

The end product looks wonderful and, I must say, exactly like you!

Job well done to you and your patient assistant--your tips were also very helpful to anyone wanting to do this for themselves--I particularly liked the hanger idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010 06:08:21 PM »

What a clever idea. I'm shocked how well it turned out. This is absolutly awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HotCha
Lady Lazy

C'mere an' gimme some shuga!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010 02:46:19 PM »

That's really quite amazing! It makes me want to make one, but I don't make clothes enough for it to be useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010 09:17:58 AM »

aha, you did very well, i tried this but made two mistakes
1) i stuffed it with shredded paper which is too flopsy and it suffered from 'continental drift'
2) i allowed the two friends taping me to drink wine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenniferlownie
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010 07:16:33 PM »

Oh so helpful! I'm glad I"m having a chance to read these before I try it myself. Things I wouldn't have thought of - allowing time for the stuffing to shift/compress, doing the arms like that - bunches of good tips!

And I had fun seeing your pics - your guy looks pretty proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChristinErik
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010 07:19:30 PM »

This is very, very nice!!! I love the colour and the style, short and sweet! Super Hero get up works so well with the blue and red! When will you make boots or a cape too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamInStitches
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010 08:49:55 AM »

You did an AMAZING job on this!! This is one of the best ones I've seen. And I do love that color as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bandini Swimsuit Trends
Coral And Poppy Swimsuit Trends
Cut Exclusive: ACW Casts NYFW Fall 2013
Who Wore It Best: Michelle Obama or Rihanna?
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...