A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hyperfocus = My first dollie!  (Read 558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sadie Styx
« on: May 04, 2010 06:33:55 PM »

I enjoyed 2 days of hyperfocus (lol!) in which I finished my very first doll - she's a dancer (because she just won't sit straight, so her legs like to cross and her head is always turned) and her name seems to be Sophie.

and the close-up (no flash - she's so white it creates a glare!)

I don't have any nekkid pics, as her clothes are a mish to take off and put on!

My sons love her, but unfortunately for them she's going to Africa with a dear friend of mine, who's moving to Swaziland in July.

She's based on the Waldorf method of dollmaking, but I couldn't find a non-jointed body pattern for her, so I winged it and made my own.

She's not entirely Waldorf, given that I had only acrylic fill to stuff her with, and she has acrylic yarn for hair, and some lovely red lipstick and eyelashes (too much detail for a proper Waldorf doll) but she's lovely that way anyway.
She has a calico woven natural fabric for her skin (I had no skin-like knits around the house) and it didn't turn out so bad!
I also didn't have any embroidery thread, so her eyes and lips are a little rough - they're made from thin cotton thread, and it doesn't leave nice plushy filled-in areas like embroidery cotton (sigh).

Much as it suits her, I'd appreciate any advice on how to make doll legs not insist on crossing all the time - I'd like them to sit a little way apart for my next doll (gulp...I'm hooked on making more, but I hope I complete them!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010 07:12:05 PM »

Your legs problem comes from the angles of them (well, that's my logic thought) I don't remember if waldorf doll's legs are attached or part of the body thought.

I love her she's a great first time!I
I'm currently embroidering eyes like waldorf dolls (on the elementals I do) and my trick is to double the thin thread Cheesy I guess you can even triple it.
She has lovely air!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
riverun
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010 07:14:06 PM »

She's lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010 12:00:36 PM »

Hey, not a bad first try! I may be able to find a pattern and link it here. A lot of time if the legs cross it's becuase your crotch (sorry to be crass) isn't wide enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sadie Styx
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010 03:13:36 PM »

Hey, not a bad first try! I may be able to find a pattern and link it here. A lot of time if the legs cross it's becuase your crotch (sorry to be crass) isn't wide enough.

not crass - useful! Smiley I can never figure out that part of the doll - should it be a V, a U or |_| square - and how wide, etc.etc. and how to make the seams stronger there so they don't wear thru/rip easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 4
John Gillespie Talks About Money for Nothing
Mark Oppenheimer Reveals His Favorite TV Show
Jessica Bendinger Talks About The Seven Rays
Tracy Trivas Talks About The Wish Stealers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...