A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hyperfocus = My first dollie!  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sadie Styx
« on: May 04, 2010 06:33:55 PM »

I enjoyed 2 days of hyperfocus (lol!) in which I finished my very first doll - she's a dancer (because she just won't sit straight, so her legs like to cross and her head is always turned) and her name seems to be Sophie.

and the close-up (no flash - she's so white it creates a glare!)

I don't have any nekkid pics, as her clothes are a mish to take off and put on!

My sons love her, but unfortunately for them she's going to Africa with a dear friend of mine, who's moving to Swaziland in July.

She's based on the Waldorf method of dollmaking, but I couldn't find a non-jointed body pattern for her, so I winged it and made my own.

She's not entirely Waldorf, given that I had only acrylic fill to stuff her with, and she has acrylic yarn for hair, and some lovely red lipstick and eyelashes (too much detail for a proper Waldorf doll) but she's lovely that way anyway.
She has a calico woven natural fabric for her skin (I had no skin-like knits around the house) and it didn't turn out so bad!
I also didn't have any embroidery thread, so her eyes and lips are a little rough - they're made from thin cotton thread, and it doesn't leave nice plushy filled-in areas like embroidery cotton (sigh).

Much as it suits her, I'd appreciate any advice on how to make doll legs not insist on crossing all the time - I'd like them to sit a little way apart for my next doll (gulp...I'm hooked on making more, but I hope I complete them!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010 07:12:05 PM »

Your legs problem comes from the angles of them (well, that's my logic thought) I don't remember if waldorf doll's legs are attached or part of the body thought.

I love her she's a great first time!I
I'm currently embroidering eyes like waldorf dolls (on the elementals I do) and my trick is to double the thin thread Cheesy I guess you can even triple it.
She has lovely air!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
riverun
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010 07:14:06 PM »

She's lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010 12:00:36 PM »

Hey, not a bad first try! I may be able to find a pattern and link it here. A lot of time if the legs cross it's becuase your crotch (sorry to be crass) isn't wide enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sadie Styx
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010 03:13:36 PM »

Hey, not a bad first try! I may be able to find a pattern and link it here. A lot of time if the legs cross it's becuase your crotch (sorry to be crass) isn't wide enough.

not crass - useful! Smiley I can never figure out that part of the doll - should it be a V, a U or |_| square - and how wide, etc.etc. and how to make the seams stronger there so they don't wear thru/rip easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Kinky Twist
How to Fake Side-Swept Bangs
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
How to Create a Classic Updo
How to Create a Fauxhawk
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...