A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make Gaga's Gyroscope?  (Read 8408 times)
Tags for this thread: gyroscope , lady_gaga  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010 08:40:40 PM »

yeah ive made plenty of hula hoops... the jason unbound tute is really good. if you get thje 160 psi tubing it should hold up pretty good with the nuts and bolts, etc. if you want metallic silver tape you can get it from identi-tape.com. kinda pricey for me, but tape is more expensive than you might think in general... :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010 04:26:36 AM »

Paper-mache would be both a cost effective and light-weight option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010 06:48:54 AM »

Try plastic hoola hoops that you can buy at the dollar general, spray them with chrome paint.  Then get some fasteners to attach them together.  As for the body harness, see if you can rip something off a cheap haversack from the store as well.

It is no fun walking around with 10 pounds on your shoulder... lightness is key I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivyannie
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010 08:45:38 AM »

It is no fun walking around with 10 pounds on your shoulder... lightness is key I think.

I just weighed my purse: 13 pounds.  On a single 1/2" strap.  My back and shoulders probably hate me.

Loving all the great ideas from the board.  I'm leaning towards making the hoops from irrigation tubing because it's super-cheap (100 feet for $25, leaving plenty of budget for foil tape from identi-tape.com) and I can make hoops larger than what seems to be out there in terms of pre-made hula hoops.  I'm concerned about foamcore or mache because if even one ring gets bent or cracked, the whole thing will stop moving correctly.

I got an Alchemy bid for $150 to make the rings out of lightweight resin, but they wouldn't be silver, they'd be in 2 pieces each, and it wouldn't include a bodice/harness, so the total cost could top $200.  I have a lovely handy boyfriend who can help with putting the rings together with nuts and bolts so the major remaining problem is the harness.  I'm studying like mad for the LSAT right now but I'll get working on this gyro in earnest come mid-June and will keep Craftster posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bunyanka
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010 09:22:01 AM »

hey...I was just about to suggest you check into that foil metal tape. seems you already thought of it! y'all know what it is, you just didn't think of it! its that silly stuff people cut strips of and then tape to their garage door windows to look like metal lattice! hah Smiley it's super chrome looking, and you dont get wrinkles like you can with careless handling of tinfoil. but tinfoil IS a good idea, just more fussy and better for larger rather than thinner objects i'd think!

I'm pretty sure I've seen tutorials on here on making hula hoops in custom sizes out of the tube you are talking about, so I'm sure your idea will work out just fine

this is a FANTASTIC project, I love it! I hope it works out, and that you post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010 10:52:58 AM »

I didnt read the whole thread, so I apologize if someone said this already...
what about pool noodles? those foam things? they're cheap and you could spray paint them and they wouldnt hurt you or those around you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leeska
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010 11:32:46 AM »

First of all - kudos for taking on such an epic Halloween costume.
In terms of support Make did an article on a headless Marie Anoinette costume that used a backpack and pipes to support the body.  Maybe you could do something like that to support the gyroscope.  Here is the link:http://www.nicolemagne.com/blog/category/costumes/headless-2006/

And keep us posted, I can't wait to see the finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap it like it's HOT...I do personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/Leeska
charmingflaws
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010 01:41:20 PM »

I would highly advise against using irrigation tubing. I tried to make my own hula hoops last year and it was disastrous.. the tubing was too flimsy and just flopped around instead of staying rigid. See if you can't find a few friends who have old hula hoops that you can just use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wor dpress.com
clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010 02:07:15 PM »

I just weighed my purse: 13 pounds.  On a single 1/2" strap.  My back and shoulders probably hate me./quote]

LOL what do you put in there? A brick for self defence?

I guess if you distribute the weight over both shoulders it shouldn't be too bad.  Might want to pump some iron in preparation for halloween... and wear Nike Air.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brielauren
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010 03:26:25 PM »

personally i would do the hula hoops idea. hit up every garage sale on a weekend and pick up as many as you can for 50 cents to a dollor each. then 3 dollar spray paint in silver. that way its light weight and not painful if bumped. pvc pipe would work for the attachments to your body
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Bouffant Hair Style With Binky
The Primer That Outlasts Birchbox Co-Founder Katia’s 15-Hour Day
Birchbox Sneak Peek: July 2013
How to Create a Sexy Smokey Eyes Look
Learn About the Healing Power of Essential Oils
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...