A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make Gaga's Gyroscope?  (Read 8177 times)
Tags for this thread: gyroscope , lady_gaga  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivyannie
« on: May 04, 2010 09:50:30 AM »

I'm hellbent on making a Lady Gaga gyroscope for Halloween. 

Obviously, she has access to a whole crew of craft folks and basically unlimited funds, so mine won't be anywhere near as nice.  I figure I'll do an over-shoulder harness instead of the balanced-on-hips rig hers has, and I think my hoops might need to be a tubular material rather than flat (I can't find mirrored plexi/acrylic sheets that large, and it would be price-prohibitive and impossible to cut DIY even if I did).  Mine will probably be slightly smaller and have a couple fewer hoops. 

I'm thinking the hoops will end up being made of some sort of rigid tubing (http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html suggests irrigation tubing).  My main concerns there would be weight and whether drilling holes to thread nuts and bolts through the diameters of the tubes to connect them with nuts and bolts might make weak spots.  Whatever I use to make it, it'll probably be foil taped to give it the metallic look.

Can anyone think of anything I'm overlooking?  Or any boards/sites where I might get better responses?  I threw a request up on Etsy Alchemy but I'm not optimistic someone is willing/able to make it well for the $150 I'm willing to spend.  So... give me your best ideas for DIY-ing this biatch Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodmorningstarshine
Your face, your race, the way that you talk, I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

Addicted to craft stores...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010 10:33:29 AM »

Okay, I really enjoy brainstorming for out there ways to make things. One thing that needs to be noted: I'm a lot cheaper than you are. 150$ sounds pricey for Halloween.

So here's cheapo way that I would do it. I would go to the grocery store and ask for cardboard boxes. I would take cardboard boxes and cut out ( shape sections of the circle and then overlap them so I had two layers of ( shapes that form a huge circle. I then would tape around them so that the edges looked smooth, and so the cardboard edges couldn't be seen. I'd use cheap tape, like packing tape. Then I'd spray paint them with silver paint.

This wouldn't look high dollar, but if all the steps were done neatly it could look respectably handmade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people
mandys08

and a helluva engineer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010 11:34:44 AM »

You could look into cutting aluminum flashing (like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100320677/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) to make the rings. you could cut it to the size you are looking for in strips. You might need tin snips to cut it, but you could probably just use scissors (cheap ones, dont ruin good ones) Also, check out the HVAC and duct department at Home Depot/Lowes. Not sure how you would construct the harness, but I might think about it some more, this interests me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 11:37:18 AM by mandys08 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftfiend

crafty like a moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010 11:59:09 AM »

I think for the most durability/accuracy irrigation tubing and metallic tape will be your best bet. You can get like 100 feet of irrigation tubing in 2 different PSIs 100 and 160. 160 is heaver, therefore more durable. It comes in a few sizes as well, but i recommend 3/4 in. you will also need 3/4 in connectors. this should all cost around $20 and make 6-8 hoops in various sizes. This is a great video on making your own hoops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBreLABeqlI and this is a great resource for tape buying and wrapping:http://www.hoopcity.ca

as for adding nuts/bolts/rivets/etc the 160 should hold up alright for a while. It'll be fine for halloween, parties, and stage, but don't go trying to run a marathon or anything... I also suggest you drill holes in the tubing so that it will sit flush and you can tape over it.

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivyannie
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010 12:09:10 PM »

One concern is resistance to bumping/jostling.  Gaga doesn't wear this thing fighting through crowds to get up to a bar or on a crowded dance floor or walking around a house party, so she doesn't need to worry about her (acrylic?  my best guess on what hers is made of) rings shattering or sharp edges slicing people up.  I'll be putting the rings together in a way that the whole thing can flatten out with all the rings aligned in just 2-dimensions, but I'll still be HUGE in 2 dimensions.  Being a HUGE circle of aluminum-flashing razor edges might not make me terribly popular at soirees.

Cardboard was my initial idea but I was worried that corrugated rings might bend/crimp if someone runs into it.  I hadn't thought of doubling it up... I think I'll making a practice double-thick ring this weekend.  That corrugated translucent plastic stuff that USPS flats and some realtor signs are made of might work, too.  It does seem to get a little spendy, though.  And my clumsy self cringes at the disaster potential of spending several hours hacking at tough plastic with an Xacto... ouch.

I think the engineering of the bodice is my biggest problem at this point :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandys08

and a helluva engineer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010 12:48:19 PM »

its halloween? whats wrong with a little blood Cheesy
i can see where it wouldn't work for you, i did make a tin man costume out of it for my cousin's son for a play. It is really easy to round off the edges so it isn't dangerous, but your costume would be almost completely edges, and would be a pain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010 02:26:58 PM »

Do you see the ring that's connected by arms to her body suit?  I think it's also connected behind her back to give some stability.  If you had a backpack like harness, you could use that point to start with, and then possibly stabilize with non-rigid material, like fishing line or something, at the sides.  You're going to need at least two, and preferably three points where it connects, so that it doesn't move independently of you.

Personally, I'd look into hula hoops.  I know people custom make those, and that process would yield you hoops that are light, balanced, and even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010 04:11:56 PM »

Id go with Aislynn's suggestion of a backpack.. get a cheap one from somewhere and tear it to bits.. specially good if you get one with hip harness as well.
we get this foam edge packaging stuff at work, its basically a tube with a slit cut into it.. if you could get your hands on some and then slip a high gauge wire into it it should hold its shape, be soft and if someone runs into it and bends it then you could always bend it back out. It would also be lightweight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
ivyannie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010 04:51:32 PM »

Do you see the ring that's connected by arms to her body suit?  I think it's also connected behind her back to give some stability.  If you had a backpack like harness, you could use that point to start with, and then possibly stabilize with non-rigid material, like fishing line or something, at the sides.  You're going to need at least two, and preferably three points where it connects, so that it doesn't move independently of you.

Personally, I'd look into hula hoops.  I know people custom make those, and that process would yield you hoops that are light, balanced, and even.

I think you're right.  IIRC when the whole thing is flattened out, Gaga's gyro has all the rings lined up with that innermost one in the position it's in in that picture.  I'm definitely looking at hula hoops and have discovered a new (and fascinating!) world of custom hula hoop makers, hoop dancers, and hula hoop enthusiast communities!  Will hit up the hardware store this weekend to check out various irrigation and PPE tubing.  My boyfriend collected what seems like DOZENS of inner-frame daypacks with hip belts when he worked at an outdoors store, so I might need to pilfer one for a harness/base.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frankeknitter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010 05:21:02 PM »

you could make the bodice out of pop cans if you blunt the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Ruler Measurements in InDesign CS3
How to Convert a Color Photo to Black and White in Photoshop CS3
How to Copy and Paste Objects in Flash CS3
How to Create Old Burnt Parchment Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a 3D Text Effect in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...