A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What is your favorite entry in Craft Challenge #51, Total Board Game Revamp?  (Voting closed: June 16, 2010 06:04:27 PM)
***CandyLand-- Comes to Life*** - 193 (39.1%)
American Idol dance mat turned into useful laptop bag - 0 (0%)
Candyland bra reconstruction - 2 (0.4%)
Check Mate Jewelry holder - 1 (0.2%)
Chutes & Ladders Clock - 2 (0.4%)
Creepy Statue Chess Set becomes Lakers Chess Set! - 15 (3%)
Disney Trivial Pursuit dress (lots of images) - 15 (3%)
From Candyland to Greeting Cards! - 0 (0%)
Funky chess board/wall art - 1 (0.2%)
how many points for EARRINGS - 7 (1.4%)
Monopoly Jr. Storage Set: Dresser and Box - 25 (5.1%)
Ouija board Message-enger Bag - 6 (1.2%)
Scrabb-Hell - 2 (0.4%)
Scrabble Purse and Wallet (lots of images) - 11 (2.2%)
The Battle of the Sexes becomes FASHIONABLY ORGANIZED!!((PIC HEAVY)) - 3 (0.6%)
The Office organizer (lots of images) - 7 (1.4%)
Twister Rain Coat/ Trench Coat (oh, so pic obese) - 200 (40.6%)
Vintage Bingo Card Lamp - 3 (0.6%)
Total Voters: 493

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [FINISHED] Craft Challenge #51 - Total Board Game Revamp - Due Jun 1 - Jun 7  (Read 38308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2010 06:10:21 PM »

Craft Challenge #51 - Total Board Game Revamp Round 2 - Due Jun 1 - Jun 7

06/18/10 - Winner Announced!

Congrats to Nicoleeoliee_4_Life for her ridiculously awesome Twister Raincoat!
See her full project thread here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=349444.0

Check out the blog about this month's challenge!
http://www.craftster.org/blog/?p=8635

06/08/10 - Vote now!  Scroll up to see the voting poll!

06/01/10 - The entry board is open!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=444.0

We're bringing back an oldie, but a goodie from 2007.  Your challenge this month is Total Board Game Revamp Round 2!  Round 1 brought us amazing entries from the  Uno dress to the Operation handbag.  So this month we're challenging you once again to bring life to an old board game!

Your project should reuse as many parts of the game as possible.  You can remake it into something totally different and unexpected, or perhaps even make it into a new game altogether.  You can use other craft supplies and components in your project, but the results should really focus on the board game elements.

As with Round 1, a game such as Uno, Twister, etc. can be used in lieu of a traditional board game, but you must promise to try extra hard to create a ridiculously awesome entry.  No pressure. Grin

Rules:

• Post your craft during the period of Jun 1 - Jun 7 2010. No sooner.  No later.  On Jun 1 there will be a special folder created for entries.
  • Voting will happen from Jun 8 - Jun 15 2010.
  • Each participant can enter ONE project (Although your entry can have multiple components to it).

Originality:

It's probably impossible to know whether your project is 100% original and has never been posted on Craftster or made by anyone else in the past.  But if your project was definitely inspired by something you've seen before, then just give credit to that project.

Prizes:

At the end, I'll set up a poll right here and the first place winner will get...

(1) their project in the Featured Projects area
(2) their project in the Craftster Blog

And this prize (winner can receive prize in U.S. or non-U.S.):

Any one item from one of Craftster's online shops!

http://www.shop.craftster.org

http://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=70592

http://www.cafepress.com/craftster
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011 01:29:41 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010 07:16:41 PM »

fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacey0828
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010 07:19:04 PM »

This sounds like so much fun!!! hmmm...what to do, what to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isnessofwhatis
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010 07:36:37 PM »

hmmmm.....  the wheels in my head are turning.  Time to go to the thrift stores and find an old board game.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010 08:35:44 PM »

This sounds like a fun one!  I love board games.  That uno dress is totally awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommylonsberry
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010 08:58:24 PM »

I'm a bored game junky, but dint think i could compete with you guys Smiley lol just finished looking at round one AMAZING Smiley I'm so excited to see round 2.

maybe ill be brave enough for round 3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffypants
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010 05:33:43 PM »

I do have something in mind that I've been thinking about doing for ages... if I can find the time and extra supplies I might have to give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stifflersmom

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010 09:48:36 AM »

What a fun idea to bring back!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
Sara1937
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010 12:00:37 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010 08:57:11 AM »

I love board games, and this is really a great idea for a challenge. I'm looking forward to this one ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010 10:46:52 AM »

I might actually do this challenge!  It could be so fun, and I've been collecting games from thrift stores for a while now, so I should have everything on hand for the idea I have in mind...hmmm...great challenge!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
tracethekat
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010 03:19:49 PM »

Since Uno cards count, do traditional playing cards count too? Or is that not "game-y" enough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010 04:56:49 PM »

Since Uno cards count, do traditional playing cards count too? Or is that not "game-y" enough?

They're gamey enough! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010 04:57:43 PM »

PS.  Don't forget to be ridiculously awesome. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010 04:59:40 PM »

I might actually do this challenge!  It could be so fun, and I've been collecting games from thrift stores for a while now, so I should have everything on hand for the idea I have in mind...hmmm...great challenge!!   Grin

I hope you craft and enter!  It's great that you already have all of the supplies on-hand, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djbcrafty

getting all my little duckies in a row..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010 07:11:50 PM »

I loved this one the first time around with my Dora bag!  Here we go again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010 08:59:59 AM »

Ooh. Great. This will possibly inspire me to do something with the 6 or so vintage board game boards I picked up last year this booth at a sci-fi convention (of all places). Too bad I can't get them until May 27, since they're in the POD until we move... hm. For now, brainstorming.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010 09:00:24 AM by psyche » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustyfro
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010 12:08:17 AM »

There's a monopoly board at the recycled art store just waiting for me to bring it home and turn it into...gosh, I don't even know yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
youngandcrafty
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010 02:39:30 PM »

I AM SOOOOO UP 4 THIS ONE!!! it will be my first challenge but im really inspired , BRING IT!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010 08:11:57 PM »

I haven't done a challenge before and I've been waiting for one I could actually do. I think this one's it!
I got some great games thrifting today and I already have some ideas for what I'm going to do (if I can stop playing with them for long enough Roll Eyes ). Just need to pick up a few more supplies. I'm so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010 03:28:15 PM »

picked up candyland at the thrift store today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nicoleeoliee_4_Life
Nicoleeoliee

Yes...I am random.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010 03:32:39 AM »

haha  Cheesy i was so excited for this that I found out about it on satruday morning...spent my whole day making something...and it is now done  Grin (well, ya know...those little details that no one ever wants to do are still waiting to be done, but you get the point)  Tongue yay for crazy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soli Deo Gloria
"Whatttttt?! YOU think IIIIII am random?!...think again" Tongue
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Randumb/176782339000396
Cheesy Check out my facebook page yo!
PixieVal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010 06:47:35 PM »

haha  Cheesy i was so excited for this that I found out about it on satruday morning...spent my whole day making something...and it is now done  Grin (well, ya know...those little details that no one ever wants to do are still waiting to be done, but you get the point)  Tongue yay for crazy crafting!
Good for you being done already! I can't wait to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010 09:34:09 PM »

hmm.... just opened candyland... high possibility I'm disapointed in the game I have selected and its lack of game pieces....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010 09:57:41 AM »

hmm.... just opened candyland... high possibility I'm disapointed in the game I have selected and its lack of game pieces....

Aww! maybe you could find a couple copies of the game and use that?
I saw candyland at the thrift store I went to, and was also disappointed to realize it doesn't have many pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010 04:59:08 PM »

I too had an obcom craft day over this challenge too.  I managed to score a old school wood tile Scrabble for *drum roll please* $1.99!!
I did manage to wait till the next day to get crafting..so I managed to plan a wee bit before hacking it to bits.  But I crafted from 11AM till midnight..with dog walking breaks sprinkled here and there.  This site kinda makes one have to practice patience...I can't wait to see everybodies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010 05:01:10 PM »

Could you scan the game board into the comp and print out more "board"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Spiffyhink
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010 10:02:50 AM »

Hey, this sounds fun, although I'm not really getting any super awesome ideas just yet. I have a Monopoly knock-off brand that's meant to be customized a little bit (kind of like fill-in-the-blanks) and I wanted to do a total makeover on it. It doesn't really sound like it would qualify for this challenge, but I might go ahead and do it just to get the project off of my to-do list.

I'm always seeing cheap board games at goodwill, though, and I'm reeeeeeally trying to resist the urge to pick up a few now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Usagi-chan
You better call it Coulson, cause I'm starting to root for this guy.

"I need a distraction ... and an eyeball."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010 09:15:04 PM »

I'm in the middle of collecting items around thrift stores to make my own chess set with a theme that my boyfriend and I like. Would this count? This might inspire me to keep at it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://usagiinwonderland.blogspot.com/ <== My Blog!!
"When there's no room left in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
http://www.wists.com/usagi-chan
http://pinterest.com/usagi/
suereal

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010 08:54:40 AM »

I'm in the middle of collecting items around thrift stores to make my own chess set with a theme that my boyfriend and I like. Would this count? This might inspire me to keep at it!
Sounds like it would count to me...but I'm not incharge...besides it sounds cool!  You should totaly do it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Usagi-chan
You better call it Coulson, cause I'm starting to root for this guy.

"I need a distraction ... and an eyeball."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010 11:02:25 AM »

It sounds like everyone is going to make something completely new with the games. I'm just updating one into something that everyone will love at home. It's going from plain to AWESOME!!

Smiley

Sounds like it would count to me...but I'm not incharge...besides it sounds cool!  You should totaly do it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://usagiinwonderland.blogspot.com/ <== My Blog!!
"When there's no room left in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
http://www.wists.com/usagi-chan
http://pinterest.com/usagi/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010 06:23:08 AM »

Hey, guys!  The challenge this month is to revamp an old board game.  So if you have an old board game and you're revamping it, you're good to go! Smiley

You must begin with an old game as you're starting point, though.  For example, using a necklace, blender and bottle of glue to create the next revolution of Monopoly wouldn't fit this month's theme.  But taking a game of Monopoly and making it into Craftopoly or a Monopoly purse would definitely fit the theme!!

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any additional questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010 06:29:23 AM »

Hey there!  This will totally count, if you start with and somehow include as many of the parts of the original game (chess set, in your case) as possible.  So your challenge would be to somehow reuse the original board and pieces (king, queen, rooks, etc.) and then add in your custom, thrifted pieces.  Keep in mind that you don't necessarily have to use the pieces as they were originally intended, so really get creative with the original 32!  I'm envisioning this as a reeeeally awesome project, so I really hope you do it!

So this month we're challenging you once again to bring life to an old board game!

Your project should reuse as many parts of the game as possible.  You can remake it into something totally different and unexpected, or perhaps even make it into a new game altogether.  You can use other craft supplies and components in your project, but the results should really focus on the board game elements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010 10:47:48 PM »

06/01/10 - The entry board is open!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=444.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010 02:46:52 PM »

06/08/10 - Vote now!  Scroll up to see the voting poll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010 05:51:50 AM »

06/18/10 - Winner Announced!

Congrats to Nicoleeoliee_4_Life for her ridiculously awesome Twister Raincoat!
See her full project thread here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=346346.0

Check out the blog about this month's challenge!
http://www.craftster.org/blog/?p=8635
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...