A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tanklet! (It's not clothing! Or a bunny!)  (Read 1095 times)
Tags for this thread: tank  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2010 01:57:53 PM »

So, like any normal 21 year old I go to parties sometimes. And like any normal craftaholic I crochet at parties sometimes.

So I present to you my tanklet. He's small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.

I started him at 9:45pm and finished him at 11:45pm. He's just single crochet, cheap acrylic yarn and stuffed with tissues (They were all I had). And of course, when I was finished with him I hid him somewhere in the host's house. But retrieved him from his hidey hole in the morning to take photos.

Everyone at the party was impressed. I got asked stuff like "How long would it take you to knit a tea cosy?" and "Can you make a tessaract?" because the people at the party were cool. Other memorable quotes include "You're good value, I'm gonna add you on facebook" and "Oh, so you made that? I thought you just gave birth to it".

So yeah, definitely go to parties, drink all the milk, learn that tanks with two shooters are mammoth tanks, make friends with geeks, make something out of yarn and then hide it there (preferably in the fridge).

Here is his better side.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010 02:21:45 PM by megziewoodles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SisterTwisty
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010 02:53:12 PM »

Hee!  I love this, it's so clever.  I like the subversiveness of weapons made with yarn, and making it so dinky gives it an extra cute layer - and then you think about what tanks actualy do... 

I've not plucked up the courage to crochet at parties yet, but I do crochet in pubs.  There's something about the sight of a young(ish) lady crocheting and drinking a pint of real ale that make some people double take!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blog about crafty things at http://sistertwisty.blogspot.com/

I used to be Chuggypig
EssHaych
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010 02:55:42 PM »

Love it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.com
Blog: www.esshaych.blogspot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
bahookie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010 06:27:22 PM »

OK this is freaky
My 20 year old son got a pack of plastic soldiers in his stocking from Santa, and irritatingly hid them all around the house.
Some of them are in places only a 6ft2ins guy with Mr Tickle-like long arms could reach.
Did you leave this cool wee thing in the house when you left?

Very nice thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wawamommy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010 07:55:57 PM »

Awesome little tank.  And I love the idea of "host bombing!".  I actually did that with a friend of mine who has a HUGE my little pony collection.  I hid a crocheted chihuahua in his display.  Still haven't heard anything as to when or if he found it, and that was over a month ago!  I may have to try host bombing at the next party I attend!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010 05:39:55 AM »

Thanks, dudes.

All of my friends already know me as a crazy knitting girl. So, I don't really get worried about people thinking I'm odd. It also helps that my friends are all nerds who have their own weirdness.  Chuggypig, you should eat some bravecake and try knitting at one party, just to see how many interesting conversations you can have.

I swear I don't set out to be subversive. I just like to make cuddly things that could otherwise kill you.

The tanklet is hidden on the shelf above Ducky's computer, right between his speakers. It has a view of his bed, scandal!

It could be worse, bahookie. My Mum has been working on a baby jumper for the last 2 years. It's spent 1 of those years "hiding" on top of the china cabinet where my brother and father hid it.

Host bombing sounds like it could really become a huge movement around crafters. as long as your friend is the sort of person who'd appreciate a tiny yarny goody (Who wouldn't?).

I have another party to go to in 2 Saturdays time. I will have to make something. Maybe a teapot. And I will bring some cotton balls to stuff it with, tissues are unsatisfactory.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010 05:40:45 AM by megziewoodles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meechpaulley
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010 01:35:25 PM »

very cute!  I mean menacing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save an Image as a TIFF File in Photoshop CS3
How to Save an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Multiple Objects in Flash CS3
How to Select With a Marquee Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...