A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reconstructed Microwave Cart  (Read 13521 times)
Tags for this thread: desk , reconstructed , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

buzatron2000
« on: May 02, 2010 08:00:48 PM »

This BORING little microwave cart was destined for the Craig'slist, the thrift store, or the curb.....but one thing for CERTAIN was that it was NOT going to stay in my garage collecting dust anymore in the state that it was in. I really hate the idea of filling up the landfill with perfectly good furniture I have just lying around, and my wife (crazypantsjones) really needed a new computer desk. Well off I went in a fury of power tools, sawdust and paint.......and after about 3 weeks of drinking beer in the garage, listening to the classic rock station, and inhaling WAY too much clear coat paint.....I came up with the end product! Your comments are welcome  Wink Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010 08:54:24 PM by buzatron2000 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crazypantsjones
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 08:41:25 PM »

I'm still squeeing over the desk!  Welcome to craftster, sweetiepie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How is it that Firefly gets cancelled after one measly season, but Tim and Eric Awesome Show has had five ?!?
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010 08:49:14 PM »

nice upcycling job! I like the crackle texture on the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010 09:05:00 PM »

its beautiful!  i love the shade of blue you used! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indiana
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010 10:58:18 PM »

That's freakin awesome! I hope she loves it?! I am so showing this to my husband, it might be the kick in the rear end that he needs to get making me some awesome stuff!
Truly wonderful job though, wow! Did you turn the legs on the desk yourself too or are they pre-bought? Either way, you've done an incredible job for sure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
Avi
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010 04:38:14 AM »

Ohmigosh, I'm jealous. *smacks the bf until he's crafty!*

That's absolutely amazing, and the colours are gorgeous. Is it pretty sturdy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010 04:51:03 AM »

No amount of smacking will make them crafty...I tried.
I so need this! The brats have broken my small crafting table. Grrrr. This is one hell of a recon. That graphic detail is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
buzatron2000
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010 04:57:54 AM »

That's freakin awesome! I hope she loves it?! I am so showing this to my husband, it might be the kick in the rear end that he needs to get making me some awesome stuff!
Truly wonderful job though, wow! Did you turn the legs on the desk yourself too or are they pre-bought? Either way, you've done an incredible job for sure.

The tall legs are actually deck railings i picked up at Lowe's for like $ 1.30 a piece and the short legs are actual TABLE legs you can also pick up at Lowe's for a bit more ( like $2.50 a piece or something) the hardware to attach them to the bottom of the table you can find with the table legs as well for less than $1 as well Smiley
As far as your husband is concerned, I don't really know what to say. I had never really made anything like this before in my life, but I have alot of other projects in the house that I WILL need to get done eventually and this was sort of used to as a practice run to "get my feet wet". I think it turned out fairly well and it gave me alot more confidence to continue on with bigger home projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buzatron2000
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010 05:02:52 AM »

Ohmigosh, I'm jealous. *smacks the bf until he's crafty!*

That's absolutely amazing, and the colours are gorgeous. Is it pretty sturdy?

No amount of smacking will make them crafty...I tried.
I so need this! The brats have broken my small crafting table. Grrrr. This is one hell of a recon. That graphic detail is fantastic!

AHAHAHA you guys are cracking me up!!!!! yeah its CRAZY sturdy. I attatched the support wood with 3" ROOFING screws and about a 2 dozen finishing nails on the top. It's not going anywhere  Wink

The graphic detail I got from one of my wife's craft stencil books that had flower designs (its a chrysanthemum). I picked one design and then scanned it and put it into MS paint and blew it up about 500% and printed it out. Then I put it all back together like a puzzle and taped it up with packers tape and stapled carbon paper to the back and PRESTO!!! INSTANT-STENCIL!!! all that was left to do was trace it onto the door and paint it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010 05:09:49 AM by buzatron2000 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010 05:24:24 AM »

For me, the best part about this is that you were able to look at the boring microwave stand and see that the only worthwhile part of it, which was the cupboard below. (Most people would just look at the top -- I did.) This is what reconstruction is all about: seeing something for its component parts entirely apart from their function, and imagining how those parts could be re-worked into something more useful.

You did a really good job of putting this together. This could be the beginning of a lifetime of furniture making!

Welcome to Craftster! I love your crazed squirrel avatar!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fix Bad Hair Color
How to Curl Your Hair with a Clipless Curling Iron
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...