A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,776
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dumb question... Sell food from someone else's recipe?  (Read 4062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tmbrunschen
« on: May 02, 2010 02:55:02 PM »

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I did a search of topics/content and found nothing that matched (but my query-string may have been too specific).

Is it OK to make food from someone else's published recipe and then sell it?

I presume it's OK for times like charity bake sales, but I'm talking opening a small cafe/catering company and selling food that someone else has designed the "pattern" for.

Is it legal? (Can you show me any links/references to back this up?)

I'd -hate- to tread on someone's toes/steal their intellectual property for profit! Sad

Your thoughts and comments on this would be -greatly- appreciated even if it's opinion/anecdotal rather than cold, hard fact!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

battenburgprojects
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010 05:01:32 PM »

My personal opinion on this is that cooking is just as much of an art form as any other craft (sewing, painting, etc...) out there. Someone put time into creating, developing and testing their recipes and I don't see someone selling their hard work for profit any differently than if someone knit up a sweater using someone Else's pattern. Also- I feel it's very important to support small business, especially in creative fields and I would be much more likely to do this if I knew I was buying and tasting your personal take on things and not something from Martha Stewarts cookie book (which I am not at all knocking. Love!). When I wear a hand knit scarf I think of the crafters hands forming each of those stitches just for me and I feel the same way about an artisinal cupcake. The selection of ingredients, the stirring and tasting... Perhaps I am romanticising it too much. Do I make any sense? As I said, this is just my personal opinion. I am all for sharing, it's how we learn. But I would be very disappointed if I went to my favorite restaurant only to find out that my entree was straight out of The Joy of Cooking. If you have a passion for cooking, experiment. Hit up your local markets. If you have to use some basic recipes as jumping off points, so be it.  I have no idea about the legal aspect of this type of situation. It is a tricky one and much to my mother's disappointment, I am not a lawyer. I apologize for my bloviation. I hope my opinion can at least provide some insight as to how a potential customer would feel.  Good luck with your business venture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skoo
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010 06:35:11 PM »

I would personally say yes its ok, but I know you asked for references and I don't have one because it's my personal opinion.  Even if you use someone else's recipe, there is some skill involved- which you provide.  On the other hand, if you're worried about being legal (on a totally different angle) you need to check the local laws in your area.  For example in my area I cannot sell items at a farmer's market that I made in my own kitchen.  I have to use a designated food prep kitchen.  Plus have all sorts of certificates etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sultrykitten
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010 06:35:46 PM »

I think to be safe you should probably ask a lawyer that has knowledge in business law ect. for your area. Most lawyers will do a free consultation or if you call one will be willing to answer a quick question or two like this at no charge.

Personally I can see both sides, someone put the work into creating the recipe but you put in the work to bring it to life. I think it's a big gray area for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LisaEpiphany
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010 01:00:09 PM »

I think you should be just fine selling food that you made from someone else's recipe. The recipe itself isn't copyrightable--just the literary expression of it. Here's the law: www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010 01:07:41 PM by LisaEpiphany » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010 05:10:02 AM »

My Mom is a published recipe author. The laws might have changed but I know that people used to ask my Mom if they could sale her recipes at craft sales, etc... She would submit the proper paperwork.

If a restaurant claimed a recipe that was my Mom's and not give her the proper credit she would sue them. My parent's were foodies so this actually happened a few times.

My Mom is so protective of her recipes that I am only allowed to post two online. I am her own daughter.

HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010 04:15:00 PM »

Honestly, whether or not it's legally okay, morally I think it's kind of wrong- someone has dedicated a lot of time to develop those recipes, and just straight up selling the byproduct is kind of like cheating.

If you're going to use those recipes, why not adapt them and tweak them a bit to make it your own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Trim Your Own Bangs
Using a Curling Iron
How to Give Yourself Perfect Highlights
How to Give Yourself a Mohawk
How to Get Rid of Dandruff
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...