A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,075
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stag in a Forest Scene Filet with a Free Pattern Link!  (Read 3682 times)
Tags for this thread: filet_crochet , stag , deer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maria Merlino
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

An Invitation to You to Explore My Work

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2010 09:26:55 AM »

A member here had posted a window hanging she did from a chart that she found in a book called Grandma's Crochet. It looked familiar to me so I checked my personal library of vintage and antique patterns and I found it! It was in a tiny book with a black cover that said
"Stricken und Hkelarbeit". The date on the inside cover was 1898, so this pattern is very old! The text is printed in an Old German calligraphy.

I re-charted it. Using Aunt Lydia's thread in Tan, the piece measures 17x14 inches.

If you would like to make your own stag, the chart is free.
You can find it here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/slideshow/51808/stag_in_the_forest_crochet_filet_free.html?cat=24

Maria

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012 03:29:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MomijiMommy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 11:11:12 AM »

Filet crochet is one of my favorite techniques. I love the chart...very old. It makes me wonder how many women have worked the same pattern LONG ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Tsu
http://www.wists.com/MomijiMommy

Yarnies Vs. Sewists Rd2 - Almost finished!
Favorite Character Plushie/Stuffie - Got my awesome partner! Stalking, ready to craft.
Ongoing ATC August - 2 claims, 1 sent
Taramor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 02:22:03 AM »

Hello Maria! It was me who posted the window hanging. Thank you very much for the information. I think it is very interesting to know the pattern is over 100 years old.
By the way - I was wondering - in your photo it looks like there are 'flowers' on the side of the stag. Is it a trick of light, or the tread you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maria Merlino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010 04:22:08 AM »

Hi Taramor and MomijiMommy!

Taramor, Thank you so much for posting your curtain! I became obsessed with it! When you said it was in a book called Grandmother's Crochet, I knew it had to be vintage. That's when I started to search through all my antique books. I jumped for joy when I saw it in the old German book. To keep the work flat I photographed it on a light box with a piece of textured glass on top. The glass has little flowers on it! You have a good eye!

Momijomommy, 100 year old patterns give me a jolt of energy! I think at first, the pattern is made and then it is forgotton. I like to think it's sleeping. Then a book comes out with vintage patterns, someone like Taramor shows off her work, and the cycle starts all over again. I have to thank the original German author and  the author of the Grandmother's Crochet, for bringing us these old but oh so new designs back into our memory.

Maria
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 05:29:34 AM by Maria Merlino » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010 08:49:00 AM »

By the way - I was wondering - in your photo it looks like there are 'flowers' on the side of the stag. Is it a trick of light, or the tread you use?

I noticed the same thing too, also on her picture of the rooster that she posted.  I was wondering if she did some new technique or something  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandi Coulter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 06:37:53 AM »

this is awesome!
mandi
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 08:10:17 AM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow our crafty adventures!
http://commonthreadskingston.com/
Maria Merlino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010 04:50:32 AM »

this is awesome!
mandi

Thanks, Mandi! If you make it, please let me know. I'd love to see it!

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hyper-Piston
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010 03:16:53 AM »

This is excellent! I love all crochet forms but I don't get to see enough filet that people do haha. It's amazing to think how easy it is for us to create graphs now, in a matter of moments really, but for people to make such detailed charts over a hundred years ago... it's really cool to think about. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sativa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010 12:54:29 PM »

When I look at him, I see Bambi's father.

Sativa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maria Merlino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010 08:52:15 AM »

This is excellent! I love all crochet forms but I don't get to see enough filet that people do haha. It's amazing to think how easy it is for us to create graphs now, in a matter of moments really, but for people to make such detailed charts over a hundred years ago... it's really cool to think about. I love it!

Back in the olden days, they used a screen and tracing paper to produce a chart. Both were placed over the picture and a pencil was used to make tick marks. Then they re-copied it, hand -colored, and had it printed. It was labor intensive for sure!

Maria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Professional-Looking Blowout Tips
Pintura and Curly Styling
A Curly Hairstyle for an Evening Look
Festive Holiday Hairstyles
How to Get a Quick Top Knot by Percy and Reed
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...