A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: polymer clay bangles plus tutorial post 7  (Read 24357 times)
Tags for this thread: polymer_clay , bangle , tutorial , featured_project , ammonite  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010 10:07:46 PM »

i've been trying to prefect my bangle technique.
as before these are a created over scrap clay armature, baked and sanded.

'Galaxy'

'Galaxy' alternative view.

'Sunspot'

'Sunspot'. alternative view. sorry bout the fuzziness of this one my camera has a mind of its own some days.

'ammonites'
This is NOT an image transfer. no liquid clay, no acrylic paint. just polymer clay.

'Ammonites' alternative view. taken prior to baking and cleaning.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010 10:23:38 AM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 02:26:00 AM »

Wow, they're beautiful!! I love the colours ... but my favourite has to be Ammonites Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010 06:53:28 AM »

I love them so much! The colors and themes are really nice.
Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebluegirl
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010 07:00:54 AM »

Absolutely beautiful.  I love the ammonites one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010 08:08:52 AM »

drooooooool...i love, LOVE the last one. If you ever want to part with it, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
SierraPapaCharlie

Be more awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010 08:27:16 AM »

These turned out great. Polymer clay is a good choice for bangles since it's so light-weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. L. Frank Baum

http://sierrapapacharlie.wordpress.com

http://www.wists.com/sierrapapacharlie
atomicjam
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010 09:17:46 AM »

Hey, they're really good! You've deffinatly perfected your bangle technique I'd say.   The finish is amazing.  My fave is probably the galaxy one - mainly 'cos of the name  Grin

That ammonites one is amazing though.  How on earth did you do it? Is it black clay behind the white and you remove the top layer to show the black? maybe? 

Very good though...  Make hundreds and give us all one  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010 10:16:22 AM »

Hey, they're really good! You've deffinatly perfected your bangle technique I'd say.   The finish is amazing.  My fave is probably the galaxy one - mainly 'cos of the name  Grin

That ammonites one is amazing though.  How on earth did you do it? Is it black clay behind the white and you remove the top layer to show the black? maybe?  

Very good though...  Make hundreds and give us all one  Grin

close....the method is similar to sgraffito, a technique commonly used in ceramics with a bit of carving and back filling thrown in. this was more of an experimental piece so i will probably keep playing around with it.
 i didn't get time to post a tute earlier so here we go (i also neglected to take many photos during making of this so if something is unclear please dont hesitate to ask me )

take one premade bangle. because you wont be able to do much in the way of sanding after you have finished the bangle (pendant etc..) should be sanded to a high finished (dont bother buffing and definitely no polish)

in this case i carved a basic out line into the bangle with a scribing tool (you could also use a thick needle or even the back edge of a craft knife but the scribing tool is easier particularly for somthing like this with a curved surface)

once you have carved your design take some well condition and softened clay (in this case i used black) using the back of a craft knife push the clay into the grooves and lines of the carving (think grouting tiles)
remove excess clay.

(here you can see the carved and filled outline of the ammonite and the section i have started to 'fill in'...i'l get to that in a moment)

next take a little more of the softened clay and working in the direction you will be scraping (ie if for example you are recreating hair you would want to scrape following the lines of the hair.) begin to scrape the clay over the surface of the bangle...kinda like buttering bread

(here i have spread the clay over the lower part of the design)

now take you craft knife and (gently!) begin to remove the colour you have just applied

once you have finished the design the bangle can be baked and sanded just sand any marks for example black finger prints..do NOT sand the design.
on items that receive more wear and tear for example bangles you may want to  coat the area of the design in a thin layer of translucent or liquid clay for durability, items such as a pendant can simply be given a coat of varnish. Smiley

sorta tutorial for bangle blanks...

i use a mould to get the shape of the bangle.
to make your mould roll a thick slab of scrap clay. i used a a length of dowelling  to create my mould  but use whatever you have ..copper piping etc.....as long as its round. dust the dowelling/piping etc with a release agent (i used corn flour) and press into your scrap slab (make the slab as long as you can) i stack even wads of paper either side of the slab and use a rolling pin to press the dowelling into the slab so the depth of the mould is even. remove the dowelling and bake the mould.

to make the bangle roll a thick snake of scrap clay. dust the mould with corn flour (or you're preferred release agent) and press the snake firmly into the mould. remove the excess clay by holding a tissue blade level with the flat surface of the mould. remove the 'snake'.
for shaping the bangle i use a bean can...just make sure you can fit you're hand through it.
this is why you want the mould as long as possible. if the trimmed snake is long enough simply shape it around the bean can, smooth the ends together and bake. if the mould is too short you will have to join two or more lengths together before you shape the bangle around the can.
try to get the blank bangle as smooth as you can but dont worry too much as you will be covering it.

hope this helps Smiley

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010 04:02:45 AM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomicjam
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010 11:01:28 AM »

Brilliant.  Kind of like some antiquing methods, but with clay not paint.   I personally dont like the use of paint on clay, this is a good method.  Infact I think you've just shown me how to make a blended highlight on an edge (that I have seen on some other works) by doing something similar.

And just to be clear:  Deffinatly no polishing of buffing after the 'wash' has been applied (and baked)? Would it remove or spoil the design.  Some of the ideas I have in mind would really want a polishing after the whole thing has been done.   Maybe a varnish could work tho.  I've never tried that.

Thanks for shairing the tute with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010 11:24:14 AM »

Brilliant.  Kind of like some antiquing methods, but with clay not paint.   I personally dont like the use of paint on clay, this is a good method.  Infact I think you've just shown me how to make a blended highlight on an edge (that I have seen on some other works) by doing something similar.

And just to be clear:  Deffinatly no polishing of buffing after the 'wash' has been applied (and baked)? Would it remove or spoil the design.  Some of the ideas I have in mind would really want a polishing after the whole thing has been done.   Maybe a varnish could work tho.  I've never tried that.

Thanks for shairing the tute with us.

i too dislike the use of paint or image transfers.....it just feels like cheating to me. hence i came up with this. Smiley
yes. sanding the appliqud area will remove the design. im not sure about buffing...because of the method used the area over the design will be textured (unless you apply either a layer of liquid or translucent clay)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Sizzling Wedding Hair Accessories
9 Knockout Wedding Hairstyles
Get the Best Haircut For Your Face Shape
How to Style Your Hair for a Heart-Shaped Face
Get a Great Hairstyle For an Oval-Shaped Face With Straight Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...