A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wearing Your Own Work  (Read 949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indigo flower girl
« on: April 30, 2010 09:21:14 AM »

Hello all.  I've been out of the habit of sewing, once my favorite pastime...  Undecided  I'm trying to jump back in, and I was thinking, 'wouldn't it be nice if I could wear something that I've made and actually like, every week?' 

And then I thought, that's probably crumbs compared to how often some of those craftsters wear their own work.  So, about how often do you wear things you've made?  If you're wearing your own work today, show us a pic!  If you want.

Just curious.  Now go on, inspire me.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010 05:34:51 AM »

Heh, actually, I wear a night dress that I made most nights, and my ex-DH wears some stretchy lounge pants every day (I made him three pair).  As far as actual clothes, though, those are mostly for the weekend, since they're more relaxed than what I get to wear to work.  Lately, though, I'd say I wear the actual clothes I've made about once every week or two.  It'll definitely be more often once I get to dive into my pattern stash with some new fabric, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Miss American Pie
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010 11:34:29 AM »

I love wearing the clothes I make! I'm proud of my talent and I like to show off. last night I went to my senior formal in a gown I designed and made myself. People I didn't even know were stopping me to ask where I bought it, and I got to brag about how I made it.

In the summer I wear homemade clothes all the time. I love sewing skirts and sundresses with pockets- I wear them to class, to church, on dates, and out with my friends or wherever. I also like to wear homemade clothes to parties cause it gives me something to talk about when I meet people.

I like to express myself and challenge myself by creating clothes that I can wear and show off. It's practical, but it's also kind of an art form for me. If I spend a lot of time designing a garment and making it fit, then I want to wear it as much as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010 04:39:02 PM »

It's practical, but it's also kind of an art form for me. If I spend a lot of time designing a garment and making it fit, then I want to wear it as much as possible.

I feel ya there. I have this one pair of shorts I made that fits perrrfectly, and I always want to wear them, probably more often than I should!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010 04:40:01 PM by indigo flower girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010 08:41:14 PM »

I wear the stuff I make Cheesy I make stuff for others, too. My boyfriend loves the buttondown shirt I made him recently, even going so far as to ask everyone "Hey do you like my shirt? My girlfriend made it!" He's wearing the maple leaves shirt I stenciled right this very instant, actually Tongue

I don't wear the stuff I make often, though, because I only recently got really really into sewing. My closet is overflowing, as well, so I have alot of clothes to cycle through Tongue I want more dresses, so that's what I'm working on this summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010 04:59:49 AM »

I made most of the lingerie I wear, so I wear something I've made almost every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010 10:20:02 AM »

I'm working on this too. I want to wear more of my own things. I get lots of compliments when I do wear my own items out though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Academic Theory in Business Work
How a Strategist Improves Creative Career Skills
How to Improve a Business Strategy Presentation
Reconstructing the Japanese Farmhouse Minka
What It Means to Lead in Innovation Consulting Job
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...