A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help!Will I go to the ball? Update and photos  (Read 1057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kazzandco
« on: April 30, 2010 07:53:02 AM »

Hi Guys
Have been asked to a regency ball soon and have found this beautiful silk and linen dress in a charity shop. Unfortunately it is too tight around the bust, is there anything I can do to adjust or recon to make it fit. Nothing too complicated please. Waiting with baited breath. Thanks

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 12:20:20 AM by kazzandco » THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010 09:05:35 AM »

if there are darts you could let them out, but how about a bit of lateral thinking, slit it up the front and put in a piece of lace/braid and then use the same in a line under the bust to give that empire line.

to do it 'properly' you should take apart all of the side seams and let it out and hope there is enough fabric there to let it out sufficiently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kazzandco
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010 01:06:14 PM »

There isn't much seam allowance I'm afraid. I did think about the strip up the midddle but hadn't thought about the under the bust line aswell. That sounds good. Thanks for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010 09:13:41 AM »

Can you create a v-neck insert that would give you a few more inches in the bust?  Maybe in a floral silk, and if you wanted accents, you could use a band of the same fabric on the arm and bottom hems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
tarriknits
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010 11:12:37 AM »

I'd be tempted to do something daft like split it right downt he centre back and put in a full length piece of matching cotton or broderie anglasie which is wider at the bottom than the top. This will give the skirt a bit mor fullness around the bum and broaden it across the bust a little. Then i would put a button fastening on the back.

Stich a narrow strip of broderie anglaise under bust across the front only, and leave a long tail on either side to tie at the back and gather in close under the bust to give the clsoe fitting bodice, empire waist and fuller skirt, with emphasice on the bum.

You want the fuller skirt to help with movement too, especially if the event will have any dancing.
trip the sleeves, neck and hem with more lace or broderie anglaise. You may consider also dropping the neckline a touch. This might lossen up the busta  bit but would also give the 'classic' regency bust. (classic in inverted commas, since from what i have read, the neckline was as likely to be low and revealing as it was to be high and modest)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kazzandco
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010 12:06:26 PM »

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate the comments.I may try a combination of your ideas, haven't got much time though and still need to find fabric Huh Found this photo so will attempt the third style on the right. Hopefully will update finished result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tarriknits
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010 02:23:06 PM »

Love that style. Should be easy enough to mod the dress to look like that. Just be aware that if you are taking in under the bust to make an empire waste, you may need to either
a) use elastic in the waist
or
b) put a fastening in the back
or
c) make the bit in the front were it pinches together to make the point between the two 'V's actually a tieing point. So instead of putting in two V shape panels you put in 1 long straight panel and then tie it togehter at the waist.

otherwise it is tricky to get in and out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kazzandco
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010 12:19:37 AM »

me in the centre
Update: See post in reconstructed. Thanks again guys!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010 12:21:24 AM by kazzandco » THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010 06:29:15 AM »

looks great, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Detail to a Drawing
How to Add Texture to Drawings
How to Draw a Basic Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Face
How to Draw People in Motion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...