A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Bare Bulb Pendant Light  (Read 2103 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midnight Owl
« on: September 09, 2009 12:32:12 AM »

I had one of those cheap Target octopus floor lamps (red, white, and black edition), and the base was starting to break and it wouldn't stand up straight. Also, the colors of the lampshades were all wrong for the colors of my living room, so I began to think of ways to upcycle it since all of the electrical parts still worked. Here is what I came up with, for use in my kitchen to replace the hideous built-in fixture!

I cut the cord right where it comes out of the base at the bottom, and unscrewed the entire head of the lamp, pulling the cord out with it. Then, at the cut ends of the cord, I stripped an inch of the plastic coating off each end, revealing the bare wires. Being careful to get all the loose wires, I took each end, and twisted the wires back together, effectively joining the cut ends back together. Then I covered the loose wires with a good amount of electrical tape to make sure it was safe. After the cord was fixed, I simply unscrewed each lamp head and removed the colored plastic shade part, leaving the bare bulb. Then, I tied a loop in the cord and hung it from the ceiling in my kitchen.

VIola! New trendy bare bulb pendent light for $20 and some electric tape!

If I redid this, the only thing I'd change is to figure out how to wire the light so I could have an on-off switch a little lower, since the switch is on the head where all the arms come together. I will probably cannibalize a rocker switch off another light at some point to correct this.

This is similar to the one I used, but mine was red, white, and black, and there was no angle to the top of the colored shades... I'm not sure if this one that they sell now unscrews the head and the colored shades as easily as mine did.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010 06:48:08 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to show photos for new member. Welcome to Craftster! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragingpie

Craftalicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010 03:02:06 PM »

That looks really neat!  I love its industrial feel.  You're brave, I'm too scared to try crafting with electricity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010 11:13:15 AM »

Oh thats looks so cool! I have one of those lamps  Cheesy I agree your brave for working with electricity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SNTV - Take Me Home Tonight
Our 2011 Oscars Winner Picks
Unknown Premiere
John Turturro on Acting Out an Orgasm
John Turturro on Playing Jesus Quintana in The Big Lebowski
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...