A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
338 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Headache with Knitty's Garden Gate socks!  (Read 501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: April 29, 2010 04:38:59 AM »

Ok, so I'm knitting these http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTgardengate.html - i've never knitted toe up before, nor have I knitted fair isle in the round. But anyhow
I get to the heel, and I am confronted with
"Row 21 [WS]: P13, working wrap together with wrapped st, W&T.
Note: From this point, when working W&T, you will be adding a second wrap to a st which is already wrapped."

What does "working wrap together with wrapped st" - and adding a second wrap to a st which is already wrapped? My head is spinning! I know knitting instructions are rather like maths, and it sometimes takes several careful readings through before it dawns on you - but can you help me with this one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010 08:05:41 AM »

The Garden Gate socks have a basic short row heel with wrapped stitches. Here is a tutorial that explains it well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010 08:06:20 AM by Tephra - Reason: Typo fix. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010 04:49:42 AM »

Thank you very much for the tutorial, it's a lot easier to understand in photos. I am still halfway through however, and I cannot for the life of me fathom what "Knit the two togethern by wrapping the yarn, then bringing the new stitch through the old stitch and then the wrap." means. Does that mean I k/p2tog, the two being the wrap and the stitch? Or do I wrap BOTH the wrap and the stitch? Or...what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010 08:28:16 AM »

You're picking up the wrap so it won't show on the outside of the sock and knitting (or purling) it together with the stitch it was wrapped around.

On the knit side you put your needle through the wrap from bottom to top then into the stitch it wraps around knitwise, from that position you knit them together. Once you have knit them together you wrap the next stitch on the left needle as you did before so it has two wraps on it. When you come back to knit that stitch you will have two wraps to pick up so it will be like a k3tog.

On the purl side when you pick up a wrap you use your right needle to pick up the wrap on the knit side[i/] of your work (the back) and put it on the left needle so you can purl it together with the stitch it was wrapped around. Then you wrap the next stitch like you did before and turn. When you work a stitch with two wraps you lift both onto the left and purl them with the stitch they wrapped like a p3tog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...