A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I would love to be able to create something like this but...  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WMA
« on: April 28, 2010 07:21:20 PM »

...I'm a novice felter. So I'm not sure of how to go about felting a piece like this.

So this is a pic scanned from a magazine (not sure what mag as a friend sent me the pic). The piece is by Claudy Jongstra, who does some beautiful, amazing work!! Check out her site if you're not familiar with her... http://claudyjongstra.com/ So after seeing the picture and looking at her site I'm inspired and would love to play around a bit with the wool I have and see if I can get something similar. I know the basics of felting and nuno felting but not much more than that. In the description it says she uses cotton gauze and raw silk in addition to the wool so I would assume nuno...but how would I get those lovely fluffy bits and locks without felting them down into the rest? Getting the locks and fuzzy bits on the edges I can figure out but I really like them throughout as well. Any ideas on techniques I could try?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010 01:08:36 PM »

Hm, ok, I was hoping to get some ideas from some experienced felters so I would have a better starting point. I guess I'll just do a bunch of little test pieces and go from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010 08:33:21 PM »

Hmmm... Try using a non felt-able fiber for the fuzzy bits. I'd love to see what you come up with, because that piece is quite lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summerset
Summerset

Doxies Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010 05:27:44 PM »

The pic is kind of hard to make out.  I looked to see if that pic was on her website, but no.
In my experience, if you just lay the curly locks on the project, they stay curly if you don't forcibly stretch them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My felting website.  Easy to follow video tutorials: http://www.feltinglessons.com
My Etsy shop: http://www.blindsquirrel.etsy.com
Creatastic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010 04:06:17 PM »

I think I saw a project simular to this on either threadbanger.com or a youtube video. Maybe you could look up felted scarf or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ConfidentCrafting

Creativity is contagious - pass it on! Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010 06:48:04 PM »

A couple of random thoughts for you:
- she may have used a synthetic fibre which won't felt as well and sit more on top but it looks all the same colour throughout so not sure if that's what she's done
- she may add tufts towards the end of the process so that they catch a little with the underneath but don't felt right in to blend with the rest but sit more on top - try adding them almost at the end and they get felted in enough to sit but not blend??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennifer
Confident Felting
Felting & Nuno Felting DVD for Beginners
www.confidentcrafts.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2 Steps to a Gorgeous Painted Makeup Brush Holder
How to Make Zombie Edible Brains
Meet the Maniac Pumpkin Carvers and Their Cool Pumpkins
The Making of the Wired Design Logo at TechShop, San Francisco
DIY Gourd Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...