A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 'Artist-punkette dress' . . . Fantastic Funky Fresh!  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Painted_lady
« on: April 28, 2010 05:47:02 PM »

So, I am readying to embark upon my third adventure into the world of hand crafted clothing, and this time I though to myself "Hey! You're finally a member and no longer a lurker. . . you should ask for advice!" I felt rather clever after that gem Wink
 I feel I must explain, I am an art student at University. I love to paint, sculpt, anything with my hands! I've dabbled in a wide variety of crafts (soap, jewelry, poly clay, candles, book binding. . . the list goes on, much to my man's chagrin!) But sewing has never been, shall we say, a strong suit of mine! My previous two projects, a simple dress and sleepy pants, earned I'd say a C and B respectively. The dress was made of an old sheet, so no stretch. Skirt was lovely, bodice less so. Sleepy pants were a fantastic success (hurrah, as they were a gift for my man!) Made out of fleece, the pockets are only slightly ridiculous. But when its cold he wears them, so I am pleased.

However. . . this time I feel a sight more ambitious.

I want to craft myself a fantastic, funky, and fresh dress to sport when I'm feeling particularly arsty!
I actually drew out a simple plan. Forgive the colored picture, I was feeling rather generous of myself. (while I am a slender figure, my waist isn't quite that small. Alas  Wink )
So, I suppose what I'm asking is. . . help? Ladies of thrifty fingers, of fantastic fabric construction-ability, I need your assistance! any gems of wisdom you feel able to part with concerning the construction of this piece will, I promise, be treated with absolute respect!
Onto badly taken sketches-->

Now. the sad truth of this is, I dont own a sewing machine. I'm kind of gunning for the semi unfinished/rough look. I already have fabric, although the green is much closer to NEON GREEN than the cool, suave green of my crayon  Grin Its very bright against the royal purple.
I'd like the bottom to be ruffled, though not quite sure how to accomplish that.
The center spiral will be top stitched (I think thats what its called. . . ) onto the purple body of the dress with a purple thread (again, channeling the 'rough-ish' look). The material is a cotton with a little bit of give, but not as much a jersey.
I am unsure of quite where to start, measurements, how to stitch it together and have it stay in one piece, etc. Please, if you have any input, it would be most welcome!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 05:55:49 PM by Painted_lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 06:31:26 PM »

For your bodice to look like that, you will need to use a jersey.  cotton just does not act like that without many darts or princess seaming, which I am sure you would like to avoid.  (I do.)  Anywhoodle, if you find a t-shirt that fits you well, you can turn it inside out and make a pattern out of it for the bodice, but the fabric that you use has to have the same stretch as the t-shirt you are basing it off of.

I would do the dress like so:  make the t-shirt as long as you want the dress to be, with an a-line skirt part... then sew on your ruffles. you can make your ruffles by gathering strips, or, for a cleaner look, cut spirals out of the fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Yarn Colors for Rainbow Crochet
How to Attach Crocheted Yoyos with a Hexagonal Braided Join
How to Cast Off Hat Knitting Projects
How to Cast Off on a Knitting Loom
How to Cast Off an Opening in Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
Keep Calm and Treat Mum
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...