A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ai Alien Felt Toy Tutorial (img intensive)  (Read 7751 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , alien , plush , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vonvonz
« on: April 28, 2010 08:24:42 AM »

I made this tutorial quite a while ago, but I'd still like to share it here. : )

Ai is an alien who had came to Earth seeking for its truth love. With the heart in its arms, it is able to identify its love and pursue from there Cheesy With this tutorial I am hoping that it will make it easier for Ai to be able to find its love. ^^ Keep me posted if youve made an Ai Alien!

I have been wanting to make a tutorial on how I make plushies and I finally got down to make one. Its my first tutorial so I hope that I dont miss anything or confuse anyone, if I do, please let me know and I will try to clarify ^_^ Hope this tutorial will help you all in making your own plushie.

First I fold a piece of paper into half and one one side of the paper I start to draw the shape that I want, as u can see on my piece of folded paper, there are a lot of different shapes as I was experimenting and brainstorming at the same time.

After deciding the shape, I used my craft scissors to cut the folded piece of paper along the line. When I unfold the paper, I will get n equal side of the whole shape.

There are a few ways to cut the felt with the pattern on it, one way is to pin the pattern onto the felt and the other way is to use scotchtape to tape the pattern onto the felt to prevent the pattern to run while cutting. The scotch-tape dont actually affect the felt that much, unless they are super sticky.

With a pair of fabric scissors (I only use it to cut fabrics and nothing else) I go along the edge of the pattern and cut off the excess felt. Following as close and slowly as possible to get the curves out nicely.

After awhile, the shape of Ai is out. ^_^ I cut out the second piece and put them aside.

Next part will be the eyes. I have a compass cutter to help me cut out perfect circles, but a simple compass and a pair of scissors will do the job too. Again, I taped the eyes pattern onto the felt and start to cut them out.

I want Ais eyes to sparkle, so I want a star for its eyes. On a piece of folded paper, I drew half side of the spark out, cut along the line and here is my spark taped on a piece of white felt waiting for me to cut it out.

Once I have Ais purple eyes and white sparkles ready, I threaded my needle with white thread and start sewing the spark onto each eyes. I also prepared 2 different size white sequins to make the eyes even more adorable ^___^

Place the eyes on each side of the face and sew them on, I dont really limit myself with changes during the making of my plushies, so I like to play around with placements to see how it is like before I sew them on.

After the eyes are sewn on, I go on with the mouth. I always try to fold the felt into half to roughly catch where the center point is, after that I sew an inverted wide V as shown in the photo above. The inverter V acts as a guideline for my embroidery of the mouth.

A simple diagram of how the stitch is like. Smiley This is how the face look like after the stitching and everything is done. The pink blushes are optional Cheesy I just add them in to increase its cuteness Tongue

I need a heart for Ai, so here is a heart for it. My favorite stitch for felt sewing is blanket stitch, this stitch holds the felt edges together very well Cheesy as you can see my stitches are very close together, I just prefer them close, but you dont have to follow my type of stitching ^__^

After the heart, I prepare the arms of Ais. Stitch them up together and stuff them with little bit of polyfiber, not too much so that Ai can hold the heart without straining.

When everything prepared, the face, heart and arms. I start to sew Ais body together. As you can see in the picture, I have 3 sets of sewing routes that I will start and stop for filling Ai with polyfiber. First I started from the left of the pink route working all the way to the right, I will pause my stitching there and fill Ai with polyfiber. (continue later with how I insert the fillings)

After finishing filling the head, I continue to stitch the blue route, end somewhere between the legs, insert polyfiber to Ais left leg and body. Continue with purple route and stop somewhere in the middle of purple route to insert some polyfiber into Ais right leg, continue stitching. At the end of the purple route, leave about 1 to 2cm gap to fill in the rest of the polyfiber, when I am done with filling up, I stitch till I meet the starting of pink route and end my thread there after making a knot and hiding it.

Blanket stitching again.

Here Ill talk about stuffing to get to the smaller areas like the tentacles on Ais head, Ill stuff them up with small amount of polyfiber first. I used my finger to push the filling into Ais head first, then with a small wooden stick with blunt end, I move the filling into the tentacles, filling them up one by one.

make sure they get all filled up so that the shape will stay up nicely Smiley After filling all the tentacles, I grabbed more filling and push them gently into Ais head to fill up the bigger area.

at the same time, I also pinned Ais arms on its body.

Ais head filled up previously, when I continue the sewing route, I will occasionally insert more fillings to its neck to make sure it get filled up firmly and not wobble later. As u can see the place where I paused at sewing, I have sewn Ais arm together with its body.

Here Im at the end of the blue sew route and I am stuffing Ais left leg.

Here Ive paused the sewing at half of purple route and stuffing Ais right leg.

To make sure that the stuffing are spread out evenly, I uses big and small wooden sticks and my finger to move the fillings around. Rounded wooden disposable chopsticks are recommended, but I sand them to get off all the splinters before I use them to stuff my plushies. I dont want any splinters in my plushies or letting the stick caught my polyfiber.

Here, Ive left 1 to 2cm of gap before ending my sewing route to fill up the remaining places especially the neck and middle of body.

Closing the last gap of Ai. In the past, I used to tie a knot after ending and try to figure out ways to hide my knot, it was a nightmare now I dont tie knots anymore. once Ive completed the sewing, I will insert the needle at A or as close as where Ive ended the sewing and let the needle come out at B and pull the needle out letting the thread at caught in between the stitches. Sometimes I will go along the stitches a few times to make it more secure, but just make sure that it doesnt show up in the stitches or else it might look ugly.

I hope Ive shared something useful through this tutorial. Thanks for reading. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaleAngelLex
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 09:42:52 AM »

This is so great!

Thank you for a tutorial. It has a lot of helpful info, and answers a few questions I've had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
riverun
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 09:58:38 AM »

Great tutorial  Cute alien.  And thanks for the tip about how you do the mouth.  I'm going to try that for my next stuffie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CataMara
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 10:18:36 AM »

Thank you for the tutorial! Ai is so cute XD I love the tips for adding sparkly cuteness to the eyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 10:56:04 AM »

Adorable!!

This is such a wonderfully detailed tutorial. Thank you so much for posting it. Your stitching is perfection. I must practice more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
MomijiMommy
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 07:28:50 PM »

Your tutorial is incredible! I also agree that your stitching is impeccable, and it makes me super jealous. I always have problems making my blanket stitch look "clean," especially when I have to start a new strand of thread.

Anywho, Ai is adorable. I love his eyes and the little heart SO much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Tsu
http://www.wists.com/MomijiMommy

Yarnies Vs. Sewists Rd2 - Almost finished!
Favorite Character Plushie/Stuffie - Got my awesome partner! Stalking, ready to craft.
Ongoing ATC August - 2 claims, 1 sent
mauoijenn
Future Ms. Lord Vader

Crafted in 1978...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010 09:36:41 PM »

Holy Frickin' Crap!!  I *must* make some of these aliens for my sons outer space themed bedroom.  You did such an awesome job... Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tute!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... so many ideas ... so little time ... We are about to MOVE!! (crafting for my family's new crib)

"I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year." - To Kill a Mockingbird
Kasbunny
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010 10:15:36 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhh, SO cute! I love it terribly. I am going to have to make one of these aliens soon. Way too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vonvonz
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010 12:48:53 AM »

Thanks all : D Glad you all like it, feel free to share your version of Ai when you are done. ^^ Would love to see your take on this! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010 04:57:10 AM »

I love his eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Kids Craft
Altered Puzzle Piece
Mini 13 DoH
July ATC 2/0/0

Would love to personal swap for Blythe granny square hat(s)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Funky Front Hair Rolls
How to Create Brigitte Bardot Hair
How to Create a Dita Von Teese Hair Style
How to Create a Rita Hayworth Hair Style
Organic Hair Color Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...