A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic waterproof fabric for bib?  (Read 2435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ailashes
« on: May 01, 2010 03:19:24 PM »

Hello kind people,

I've decided to make a few things for my friend's son. One of those things is a cute personalised bib (has his name on) - but I'm struggling to find a certain fabric to use for it. I've got one layer of pretty patterned fabric, a layer of towelling in the middle, and I want a layer of something waterproof/plastic-y at the back. Was unable to find the type of material I'm thinking of in the local shop.

Question is, what can I use instead? I was wondering about using a layer of thick plastic bag, or old shower curtain (I don't have one to cut up unfortunately...). I'm reluctant to try the plastic bag idea because it might not be good enough quality to last.

If nothing will do, I'm not opposed to buying a bit of the aforementioned waterproof material on eBay. Unfortunately I don't really know what it's called! What should I search for if there are no alternatives?

Thanks very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010 04:24:01 PM »

you could look for PUL or polyurethane laminated fabric.  i believe lots of people use it for cloth diapers.  other than that you could also pick up a clear plastic shower curtain from the store...id look for one made with EVA or ethylene vinyl acetate, its considered a safer plastic and its used in making baby teethers and plastic bibs.  I got one from our grocery store for 7 dollars to use on a project im planning that needs a waterproof fabric. 

hope that helps!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 04:26:16 PM by rlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010 08:14:53 AM »

for this particular project i would prob not use the iron on vinyl. if you read the fine print on the iron on vinyl, they recommend not using it on anything children will suck or chew on.  babies tend to put everything in their mouths.  trust me the bib you are making will wind up in the baby's mouth. i would stay away from oilcloth and reg shower curtains (made with reg vinyl) as well for these reasons.  otherwise, that product might be great for splat mats and smocks for older kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010 09:00:04 PM »

Plastic tablecloths.  They are sometimes backed with flannel, which is helpful.  Plus they're cheap and huge!  I made a bunch of change mats with nice fabric on the front and pieces cut from a plastic tablecloth.  A year later they are still intact and doing the job they are supposed to do. 

If the plastic is very thin you might want to double layer it.  All I did to sew them together was use a zigzag stitch on the machine, but you could use a serger/overlocker or bias binding.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rosette Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Basic Charm Bracelet
How to Attach a Clasp to a Chain
How to Attach a Clasp to a Nylon Cord
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...