A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Poppet Mini Swap Round 2 (Sign-ups April 28th-May 12th) (Send-by June 14th)  (Read 17870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010 01:14:05 PM »

I am having a terrible time finding alova suede (or anything similar) for a good price.  I used to get it at Wal-Mart for $4 a yard but they have removed the fabric from all the WM's around here.  I have looked at 3 different Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and Denver Fabrics. 

Everywhere I look I end up paying about $17 a yard because of shipping.  I really want to sign up but am not sure I want to pay that much for fabric when my kiddos love the ones I make from fleece which is always available and you can use a coupon for Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue_lalita
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010 02:48:10 PM »

I am having a terrible time finding alova suede (or anything similar) for a good price.  I used to get it at Wal-Mart for $4 a yard but they have removed the fabric from all the WM's around here.  I have looked at 3 different Joanns, Hobby Lobby, and Denver Fabrics.

I've never actually used alova.  The first two times I made a poppet, it was "out of season" and I used regular craft suede from the home decor section - it's expensive, but I only needed 1/3 yard, and I used a 40% off coupon.  it doesn't really stretch but worked well. This last time, I found alova, but didn't really like how it felt. I ended up buying moleskin (from Joann), which was about $9 a yard and seemed to have the same amount of stretch as alova, but I personally liked the look and feel of it better. So don't sweat it - the alova suede is just a recommendation, and it's certainly not the only fabric that would work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindag35
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010 02:55:35 PM »

I'd kinda like to attempt the poppet with abs one of these days. But have seen a very cute bunny and a garden elf, and a mermaid....all would be awesome!! I had no problems with eleanore, thought I would, but I actually figured it out. I just am worried I printed my pieces bigger than everyon elses. In the last swap mine seemed to come out different. I wish mine came out more like ghilies...don't know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010 03:10:31 PM »

MommytheMaid- do you have a Hancock fabric?  They carry something called "butter suede" all year round and its fairly well priced.  That's what I use for my poppets.  If you can't find it, PM me and I can ship it to you cheaper than the fabric websites.

Linda- you should try a mermaid!  I've made like 3 and they're really fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010 03:11:58 PM »

The only suede I found at my JA's was very thick and very expensive home decor suede that had a slight print to it.  It was $39.99 a yard.  There was no stretch at all either.  I tried a non stretch suede once and it was okay, but I wasn't happy with the results.  I also tried a non stretch velour and NEVER will again LOL  Poor thing is busting out of it's seems just sitting on my shelf.

I guess as long as my partner doesn't mind having a poppet made from a stretch velour or a fleece than I would love to join.  Just wanted a general opinion on the matter first. Cheesy

Amigurl- I do have a Hancocks about 30 minutes from here.  I will be sure to check there!  When I called they told me they "occasionally carried a home decor suede and she didn't know much about it"  Roll Eyes  I wish people that worked in a craft store knew something about crafts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010 03:23:42 PM »

I guess as long as my partner doesn't mind having a poppet made from a stretch velour or a fleece than I would love to join.  Just wanted a general opinion on the matter first. Cheesy

I have only ever used stretch velour in making my poppets in the past, and I have never heard complaints from any of my partners (correct me if I am wrong blue_lalita Wink ). I for the life of me cannot find alova suede in Canada, so velour is def. the way to go. I really, really love it thought, I find that it makes my poppets super cuddly and it makes them quite a bit bigger than poppets made out of alova (2-4 inches taller in general).

However, the other day I picked up some faux suede at a craft store I never go to, and it is so awesome (except for the fact that they have no skin-ish tones whatsoever, only light blues and greens and whatnot- perfect for mermaids, which I also hope to try out in a couple of days). It is really, really stretchy and I bought it for about $8.00/m.

I as an organizer would never disallow someone to join a swap if they cannot find the typical supplies to use, as that would be hypocritical because I am in the same boat- so heck, if you want to sign-up, don't worry about it! Cheesy And if someone were to have a problem with receiving a poppet made of velour, they would most likely let us know in the questionnaire, and as of yet no one has, so I think it would be a-okay to use it (or fleece, or even felt- last year we had some swappers made poppets out of felt).

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010 03:24:23 PM »

The butter suede is in the apparel section of my Hancock's.  Its very soft and fairly lightweight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010 04:19:10 PM »

I will check out Hancocks for sure!  I have two poppets I need to make for private swaps and the character that I am attempting for one of them really wouldn't look right in anything other than pale.  I have decided that is a color LOL 

I personally have no problem with poppets made out of other fabrics.  Although, I hate turning felt when I do felt food so I will not be trying that LOL  My dino steam punk poppet was done in fleece and I LOVED her!  I even made another dino poppet but I need to fix his arm...I tend to sew one on upside down  Roll Eyes You can see Steam Punk-a-saurus here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342098.msg3970630#msg3970630

I will have to fill out my questioneer and join!  I was trying to take a little break from swapping but of course there are too many good ones to pass up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McBec27
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010 06:01:25 PM »

I would not have any problem receiving a poppet made of something other than Alova. I don't think either of mine were Alova (they were both something fairly similar but came from the remnant bin and weren't labeled real well). I think you should probably join us! You know you want to... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy!
Check out my wist!
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010 06:21:13 PM »

I would not have any problem receiving a poppet made of something other than Alova. I don't think either of mine were Alova (they were both something fairly similar but came from the remnant bin and weren't labeled real well). I think you should probably join us! You know you want to... Cheesy

me either Wink  I'd love soft and cuddly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tequila Chicken
Beer Can Turkey
Potatoes O Brien Recipe
The Rookie Cook: How to Make Cole Slaw
Toaster Scrambles - Food Review
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...