A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fimo Deco Gel/TLS?  (Read 3196 times)
Tags for this thread: liquid_clay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Norosettanne
« on: April 28, 2010 03:03:13 AM »

I've been wanting to try whipped cream and I was wondering if there is any difference between the two... I saw on a site that FDG goes clear but TLS keeps the colour, would it do the same thing if I just put in normal polymer clay?

Also, could I mix Fimo and TLS? Would it be fine to bake Fimo with TLS on top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 05:46:51 AM »

I mix Fimo and TLS all of the time.  I just bake it a little higher than normal and keep a close eye on it.

TLS is much, MUCH cheaper.  There are several sites that sell *bulk* bottles at really great prices.  Fimo Gel has gotten a bit tough to find for some reason.  There's also Kato Liquid, but I've never used that.  I'm sure Diane B. can fill you in.

TLS hardens translucent, not clear, but not white either.  To use it for whipped cream you'd need to add something to it for whiteness.  Fine chalk, pastel, paint, or even just white clay.

I used un-colored TLS for the glaze on this king cake...

Glazey, but not creamy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 05:48:16 AM by Blitherypoop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 10:06:53 AM »

. . . could I mix Fimo and TLS?

Yep, you can mix any of the brands of liquid polymer clay with any of the brands and/or colors of solid polymer clay.  You'll just get whatever their characteristics would have been.

Would it be fine to bake Fimo with TLS on top?

It's fine to bake any brand of polymer clay with any brand of liquid polymer clay on top.

've been wanting to try whipped cream and I was wondering if there is any difference between the two... I saw on a site that FDG goes clear but TLS keeps the colour, would it do the same thing if I just put in normal polymer clay?

(I think this is actually several questions, but let me know if I've misunderstood.)

There are differences between the 3 clear versions of liquid polymer clay that we can get in the U.S. --Polyform's Translucent Liquid Sculpey which came first, EberhardFaber's (now Staedtler's) Fimo Liquid Decorating Gel, and Kato Polyclay's Liquid PolyClay Clear Medium (can never remember that exact name--it used to just be called Kato Sauce before they began distributing it which was a lot easier to remember!).

Here are some of the differences:
...TLS is not as clear as the other two (though they will all be clear if thin enough and also handled properly). 
...There's a difference in thickness... Kato is the thinnest (so will level out quickly, and have fewer bubbles than TLS, for ex.)
...Kato can be heated higher than the other two (higher heat makes it even clearer).
...Re natural surface finish, Kato will be glossy and so will Fimo, where TLS will often be matte until it's sanded and buffed.
...Kato and Fimo will be a bit more rubbery in feel (sometimes a layer of polyurethane is added to the Fimo).
...(I haven't noticed too big a difference in the prices of the various liquid clays, but prices do vary depending on where they're purchased and the volume available --Fimo's isn't offered in larger volumes, for example.)

There's much more info on all the liquid clays on this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm

There are also pre-colored liquid polymer clays (or liquid polymer clays can be colored at home--usually with artists' oil paints or oil pastel shavings, or alcohol inks, or with inclusions).  In fact, the very first liquid clay was "Liquid Sculpey" which was an opaque white (now that's hard to find if it's still being made and only Translucent Liquid Sculpey is easily available).  For awhile though, the Polyform people and the Kato people have been putting out various pre-colored liquid polymer clays you can buy (usually online), and one even has a glow-in-the-dark.
(If you want to color your own, check out the link just above under the category Inclusions & Coloring)

If any of the liquid clays is thick though, it will be somewhat to very cloudy (though never opaque white).  That's more so for some brands (like TLS) than others, and also more so if the liquid clay isn't handled in certain ways re heat or application.

If any of the liquid clays is mixed into any of the solid clays, I don't think you'd notice a color or opacity difference between the 3 brands of liquid clay since the solid clay will overwhelm the liquid clay... you'd notice a difference when adding a lot of liquid clay vs. a little liquid clay to a solid clay though in the final degree of translucence/opacity of the mixture.

As for making frostings in particular when using liquid polymer clays, check out all the info and lessons on doing that on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/miniatures.htm --click on the category Frostings, Icings, Whipped Cream, Etc
And check out this page also if you want to use icing tips or other extruders:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/claygun.htm --click on the sub-category Extruding Liquid Clays

HTH,
Diane B.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 10:26:11 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Norosettanne
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 02:26:02 PM »

Thanks for the help guys Smiley

I'm unfortunatly not in the US, I'm in the UK Smiley At my local craft store they have a lot of Fimo products (two of these stands http://www.shineyrocks.co.uk/myfiles/image/fimo%20stand.jpg) including FDG but they don't have much Sculpey, and certainly no TLS... But if when you add in clay all the different brands are the same, then it doesn't really matter if I buy FDG Smiley

As for TLS being cheaper, it would probably cost the same as the FDG with the pnp I would have to pay for it, so I might as well go for the one I can get my hands on Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sillymadeleine
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010 01:29:56 AM »

If you're feeling a little poor you could always mix fimo with water (or vegetable oil) to get a similar whipped cream effect Grin

I did that and it turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Bronzer
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Baggy Eyes
How to Get a Fresh, Peachy Glow
Fourth of July Nail Art Tutorial
How to Get Smooth Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...