A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions on new chair backing?  (Read 1091 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 27, 2010 06:59:34 PM »

I rescued these chairs from an abusive owner (my mother).  They are these neat, kind of 70's outdoor chairs, and they had these rubbery strips that you sit on and rest your back on.  Well, I decided that they were lame and had to go. So I took them off.  Well, so far, I've spray painted them new colors (there is third one that is candy apple green) and my mom taught me how to use a circular saw and I made new seats. 

The only thing I am having trouble with is designing something for the back.  All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  =) 

(BTW - I AM CLOSING ON MY FIRST HOME FRIDAY!  These will be proudly displayed on my new screened in porch!) 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010 08:25:46 PM »

Sorry I can't be helpful with a suggestion, but I just have to say WOW, I totally love the transformation with just the color alone! So festive!
But that black rubber with brass... ewwwwww!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
habitat-lady
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010 09:12:07 PM »

maybe a fabric cover that ties by the seat and has padding in it.  Maybe a u-shape with a casing and ribbon or same fabric tie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
jeebles
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010 09:55:11 PM »

love the colours. For the new seats/backs you could make a wood cut out with cut outs/drill holes patterns etc (this would be the easiest). Or you could use upholstery webbing (comes in nylon or jute -- which if you use jute you would have to seal if they were to get wet) or thick leather (slightly thinner than a belt) to do a woven seat and back. Good luck, I'd love to see the after pics!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xox        ,,,,,
           {   ' >
           /  ,  \
         /_/ _ /
  ===//="======
        //
       /
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010 11:12:25 PM »

I love the colors! Congratulations, on your first place!

This may be a stupid suggestion, but I would almost like to the see the backs on the seats beaded - like those beaded seat cushions that you see in taxi cabs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 01:52:00 AM »

OOOOOOH! I see a gorgeous upholstery fabric with big bold vertical stripes of turquoise, apple, black, white, tan, and maybe coral. I don't know where I saw that fabric, but I probably did, and it would be perfect! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010 04:15:30 AM »

Oh thank you for the good ideas so far!  I kind of like the beaded backing idea - only, I wish I could find something like what you're talking about in fabulous BRIGHT COLORFUL crystally type beads.  I think that would be cool!  But, there is an issue with stability - I'm afraid someone might put all their weight leaning back and it would break.

I don't mind sewing a backing with upholstery fabric - but I wouldn't know where to start.   Huh Huh  I wouldn't know how to design it.  I will think it over at work today and try to draw out a prototype - I think this might be the easiest option for me.  I'd like to have this project finished by this weekend - I have a lot planned!  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Artist Derek Gores Creates Incredible Collage From Hate Speech
How to Make Holiday Star Shaped Garlands
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...