A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bears & Fairies, Oh My! (IMG Heavy)  (Read 1026 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MamaCatScrap

"Kid, you'll move mountains."

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2010 10:56:07 AM »

Got bored waiting for the WWE Supplemental Draft to start (and now that it's 2 hours in, still bored Tongue) so I decided to dig through the crafting stuff my old roommate left behind.  Found a box of sculpey and went to town based on some cute stuff I saw on Etsy a while back (or what I could remember of it anyway)

Be gentle, it's only my second time using polymer clay!  I still need to get some kind of glaze to finish them I think?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

30/100 projects in 2010

Will gladly pay or swap for a poppet!!  PM me if interested!
Lornee
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010 11:10:58 AM »

I love the bear- the face is just adorable (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010 11:28:04 AM »

Too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nougatgee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010 09:03:38 PM »

these are so adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MamaCatScrap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 06:32:22 AM »

Thanks everyone!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

30/100 projects in 2010

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 10:57:34 AM »

You did a great job!  Bet you're hooked now! Grin Grin

I still need to get some kind of glaze to finish them I think?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Polymer clay doesn't have to be glazed if you don't want (even if it's been painted on with acrylic paints) since it's already waterproof, unlike air-dry clays. 

If you do want to give your items a glossy finish though, you'd generally want to use a water-based finish since anything that's petroleum-solvent based will immediately or later begin to dissolve the clay.  The two main clear gloss finishes used by polymer clayers are clear-drying water-based polyurethanes (Varathane is the most popular brand for several additional characteristics it has), and floor polishes like Future (now renamed Pledge with Future Shine) or Mop 'N Glo which are thinner.  Some of the gloss finishes you'll see in craft stores are actually also polyurethanes (if they're a little cloudy looking) but will be much cheaper if purchased as polyurethane in a hardware store (ditto for clear acrylic fingernail polish).
Liquid polymer clays are very tough too, and can be very clear but only if handled in certain ways.

Other gloss finishes are materials that are more scratchable or susceptible to cloudiness from later humidity --like gloss "acrylic mediums," permanent white glues--usually thinned down (Elmers GlueAll, "PVA," decoupage mediums like ModPodge, dimensional ones like Diamond Glaze, etc.), and clear embossing powders, etc. 
Two-part epoxy resins or epoxy glues are tougher than those, but still not as tough as polyurethane (so polyurethanes can usually be used as final coats on any of them).

There's loads more info on clear liquid finishes for polymer clay (including "satin" or even "matte" ones) on this page of my site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

Polymer clay can also be given a satin finish in several ways... mostly by using clear (paste) waxes, and by sanding and hand-buffing. 
If polymer clay is (wet) sanded, it can be given a beautiful satiny finish all the way to up a high gloss finish depending on whether it's buffed by hand or by machine, and how long the buffing goes on.  If you're interested in the sanding-buffing options, check out the pages by those names at my site too.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 10:29:25 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
MamaCatScrap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010 08:24:34 PM »

Diane, you are officially amazing!  Thank you for all the tips!!! Cheesy

And thanks everyone for the compliments!  These things are ADDICTING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

30/100 projects in 2010

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010 10:37:53 AM »

Diane. . .Thank you for all the tips!!!

You're most welcome Grin

I meant to say also that if you want to get the smoothest and least finger-printy results from polymer clay, there are a few things you can do:

...always completely smooth any clay *before* shaping it --by conditioning of course, but afterwards by then  rolling the clay into a smooth ball or log, or sheet (with a brayer/roller or a pasta machine)... roughness is harder to get out if not starting with a smooth surface to begin with, though rolling a rod of some kind (or a finger over some thin paper) over uneven areas can help too

...don't use the really soft clays like Sculpey III (or original Sculpey, or even some of the SuperSculpey) or FimoSoft, or even the more temperature-sensitive ones like Premo or Cernit if you have hot hands or a hot environment or really like to work-and-work your clay; Kato Polyclay and FimoClassic and the firmest lines of polymer clay when raw...it can help to learn to hold parts-you-aren't-working-on somewhat lightly too while you're working on other areas, and/or to cool the clay and perhaps your fingers too when needed

(there's more info on avoiding fingerprints, etc., on this page if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm )

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 10:39:46 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
clayman

Brush your teeth everyday

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010 07:39:43 AM »

cuteness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
How to Increase Company Creative Capability
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...