A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Works-in-progress  (Read 19859 times)
Tags for this thread: corn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sorbetsurprise
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2011 12:24:35 PM »

Wow that penguin is beautifully lifelike and will be an amazing cane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2011 08:44:02 AM »

Great cane!  Best of luck on the reduction (fingers crossed). 

Is that a yellow to orange Skinner blend on the cheek, or did you just create that bit "by hand"?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2011 10:16:51 AM »

thanks. the orage on the cheek is a skinner blend of orange to yellow to white with a blend of pale yellow to white under the beak. the rest is made of solid colours. i've put the translucent around the cane now so hopefully i can start over the weekend Smiley

the translucent seems very soft compared to the texture of the other clays. i read that you could leach the softer clay to make it a stiffer consistency but it still seems quite soft Huh (i used the fimo brand...are others firmer? ) does leaching translucent clay effect the translucency?

i would be interested to know how others approach this problem or do you find it dosnt effect the reduction of a cane?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011 10:47:23 AM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2011 01:20:56 AM »

Grin

the ends of the cane show some distortion (mainly the black + dark Grey) of the penguins lower back but it dosnt appear to have distorted the larger portion of the cane Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2011 06:38:48 AM »

Oooo, that came out great!

the translucent seems very soft compared to the texture of the other clays.. . .   (i used the fimo brand...are others firmer? ) does leaching translucent clay effect the translucency?

All translucents are softer than the clays with pigments in them.  You might want to try a firmer brand though like Kato or FimoClassic (if they still have one...not FimoSoft).  It's possible that Premo could be stiffer too, but not sure which translucents they have these days even. 

Don't think that leaching should affect transparency for translucents, but don't know...let me check of few of my pages on those topics. 
Okay, here are a few references to leaching, sometimes translucents, not necessarily re canes though and they don't all agree with each other:
...When working with translucents for caning, if you have a very fresh package of translucent, leaching it improves the ability to cane with it (or put it away to "age" for awhile)
......Sarajane is probably right about the Premo bleached translucent being warm enough already from just working with it. Trans, from my limited experience is really gooey so caning with translucent can be tough
...for best reduction, I suggest you keep the (image) part of the cane warm somehow, and then add your translucent background.... then wait 5-10 min for the translucent cool off just a bit, and then reduce the cane (.. the translucent may still be gooey, but if you kept the flower warm it should move along with it). Candy
...I have just started using translucent as a outside "spacer" in some flower canes
(I really hadn't thought it would work since trans is so mooshy compared to the other clays I used.... I was SHOCKED at how well it worked!!!!...I didn't even wrap the entire cane...I just filled in the divots between petals...that actually spread a bit to form a thin film of translucent around the outside of most of the cane, and was perfect when I finished...for best results, allow it to cool a bit before reducing. Sarajane
...she leaches any very soft clay, but not the translucent (Premo only?) because she thinks it creates air bubbles or streaks in it
...(re getting thin sheets of trans.) Also it seems to be affected by how soft a batch of clay it is - I sometimes leach the clay & get a better result. If it's that yucky cream cheese consistancy though, it's just not going to work for thin sheets.
... I leached some translucent to within an inch of its life by mistake once (t'was positively crusty and crystalised) but I included it in a mokume gane cane anyway. It gave an "interesting" smashed windshield look. flyte
...(this related to older formulations of these clays though...not sure if still true):
raw clay texture changes over time even when wrapped. When I get clay in the big bricks and its too fresh from the factory its soft--just letting it age for a month or three in the package really helps, and doesn't take out the plasticisers and stabilizers. Sarajane Helm
...It depends on the brand. . .The chemist at Polyform has told me that stabilizers used in Polyform clays (Premo and Sculpey) are gels and do not leach out. Leaching only removes the plasticiser. Katherine Dewey
......FimoClassic reacts differently to leaching, in my experience, than the other clays. It ... crumbles. With really fresh Fimo I am not sure there is a really simple way to alter it's consistency other than put it on the shelf and wait til it 'matures' sounds like maybe a leached half, and mix it back together might work out. You can mix it with unleached Fimo though. Also FimoSoft leaches okay..
...One of the premier clay artists, Kathy Amt, always used Sculpey III for her canes. No one could figure out how she got such wonderful canes and perfect cane slices with such a soft clay. The secret is that she leached it in a paper press before using it. DottyinCA

Cooling at least overnight should help with reducing if you aren't already doing that, and also cooling before slicing.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
philosophyfox
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2011 04:54:06 AM »

A few pics of my latest WIP rat sculpt.  I'm hoping his small head will look bigger once painted :S

THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2011 10:22:53 PM »

your sculpts are amazing! so life like in pose but what has me staring is the texture of the fur Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Middle Strategy in Backgammon
Starting Rolls in Backgammon
How to Close Your Opponent Out in Backgammon
Middle Strategy in Backgammon
Indirect vs. Direct Shot in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...