A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Works-in-progress  (Read 18090 times)
Tags for this thread: corn  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atomicjam
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010 02:20:27 PM »

So did you get your Mini-Mexican Food done in time Blitherypoop?  I'm not too sure when Cinco de Mayo actually is but I had a Tequila down the pub earlier anyway Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010 03:49:31 PM »

One of my friends came over and my mini work made her hungry, so we needed to go out for real Mexican food.  Now she's asleep on my couch and I'm putting the finishing touches on the set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomicjam
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010 10:12:49 AM »

Here's some more WIP pics.  I tried to make a pot using the Escher cane on a lightbulb...

Covering the bulb...

Messy workspace (yes I arranged the tools and stuff for the shot - only a little though).

Nearly finished pot. It's been sanded and polished abit in these pics but I wasn't happy with the finish at all.   I eventually used some ancient Fimo glaze that I had lying around to cover it.  It made it shiny, but it also made it smell of chemicals.  I then tried sanding and polishing the glaze but it just dulled it.  I've now given the half-finished pot (sans legs) to a friend.  He asked for it though so he can't complain that it isn't finished.

I just got a new 'daylight' lamp that uses real daylight spectrum. I'm really pleased with it. It's definitely more accurate for seeing the colour of things.  It's made these photos come out really well and the pot actually looks better in the pics than it does in real life.  The above pic is back-lit, so you can't really see the detail. In the one below you can start to see some of the mistakes. Cracks/spaces between the tiles and the skinner blend isn't very good.  That daylight lamp is so amazing though that it makes the pot look better than it actually is (kind of defeating the objective but it's only in the photos that it looks better. In real life the lamp shows up all the imperfections.)  These pics where taken on my mobile phone.

In the pic below taken before any sanding you can see how bad it really is.   The tiles don't match up very well.  The shape is abit deformed (sanding fixed that though). Huge cracks and gaps. The blends above and below the pattern are dire. I'm very disappointed with those blends.  I made lots of mistakes making this pot.  But it's all a learning experience.

Looks much better in the other pics, right?  Well that is how it was meant to look and the last pic is how it really looks. Cheesy The next one I make will be amazing though (determined emoticon).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010 09:16:11 PM »

blithery i love your mini plates and food - it could not be any more realistic!!!

atomic i love your bird cane.  i've never made canes....how DO you reduce a square cane?
have you finished the clock??
the mushroom lights are amazing!!
also the bowl is very nice too - i love the thick lip on it... did you have to break the light bulb to get it out??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010 09:05:22 AM »

atomicjam, great little vase!!  It's very well done even though you're looking at it from the viewpoint of all the little problems as its maker.

I'd like to know how you did the sorta-rolled rim too.  I can see from the underside pic that there's a thicker bit of clay under the rim, so is the whole bargello pattern one thick strip that you rounded on the top for applying?

I wasn't happy with the finish at all.   I eventually used some ancient Fimo glaze that I had lying around to cover it.  It made it shiny, but it also made it smell of chemicals.

Did you try Varathane or another polyurethane?  If so, what didn't you like about it?  (Varathane wouldn't really have an odor though.)
(If you have some "ancient" Fimo finish, definitely hold onto it since it's no longer being made and that alcohol-based version was very-very good.  Their water-based one has never been all that great, but all that's available now.)

I then tried sanding and polishing the glaze but it just dulled it.

Did you electric-buff it (and with what?), or did you just buff it by hand?  Sanding and electric buffing should work on most finishes.

the skinner blend isn't very good

What exactly didn't you like about the blend?  Is it just that there's little white showing?  That can be a problem for the lighter color in a blend since it will combine all the way to the edges if you don't add an excess of that color first at the end or use a dark triangle that's not as large as the light triangle** or use an arc pattern for the pieces with the darker color being the smaller side...or you could make the blend as a plug first, or make a "very-narrow" blend, etc.
Here's a section from my Blends page about a couple of those:
. . . To prevent a strong or dark color from predominating over a lighter color in the final blend, make any light-colored triangles (which are easily overwhelmed by other colors) about 4 times bigger than any darker colors of red or blue, e.g.. Becky
....If the color is very saturated (then looks darker when baked like many of the reds and the darker blues), add white to the color first. . Becky
....Ziggybeth thinks using the more translucent colors, like many of the Fimo Softs (their "Transparents" only?) yield "truer" colors than the resulting from densely opaque colors.
....Leigh suggests using half or more times as much translucent to desaturate a color and keep it from overwhelming the one next to it.
....Judith suggests: if using a strong (dark or very saturated) with a weaker color, instead of cutting them into same-size triangles, cut the weaker one as an arc-sided triangle (along the diagonal) to increase its amount rather than cutting a straight line.

There's more info and ideas for ways to make blends so the colors are more evenly represented under the (Basic) TWO-COLOR Blend category and some of the stuff under Limiting the Width categories, on the Blends page too.
** http://thepolyparrot.com/bargello.html

Cracks/spaces between the tiles

If the spaces aren't too large, you can lay a thin sheet of paper (like deli or tracing paper, etc) over the area and rub vigorously with your finger, or can roll repeatedly over the area with a small rod of some kind.  Cutting the slices to the exact same thickness is important too, as well as making sure they're not too cold. 
There are lots of other tips on solving that problem though mostly on my Canes-Info page, under Sheets of Slices > Flattening, if you want to check them out.

The tiles don't match up very well...

Now that's always a hard one if there are lines or colors that are different on each edge but which have to line up!  Some tips for dealing with that are on the Canes-Info page, on the Sheets of Pattern page mostly under Flattened Pattern Sheets, and also on the Eggs page since that problem occurs a lot when covering eggs.
Btw, are you creating the slices pattern on a base sheet, or alone?  And how thick are you cutting the slices?

P.S. You really should put your items in separate threads though instead of in the continuing Works in Progress thread! Grin (and actually things as finished as this would be best in the Completed Projects board since fewer people read this Discussions/Questions board than that one and more people will see it!). It can get hard to know who's responding to what when there are many different items being discussed in one thread, and later for searchers to get all the info about one thing close together. 
(The sticky "Random Resin Question Thread" is an object lesson for that last situation imo --though largely the fault of the powers-that-allow-new-boards --or not, in this case.  That single thread is currently 155 pages long Shocked; not sure how many messages that represents, but impossible to use and not helpful since so interwoven with different questions/answers within such a large topic, plus the fact that "resin" can be used in so many different ways--and diff. types have to be used differently, with diff. problems occurring, etc.  Oops, sorry for the mini-rant about that.)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010 09:12:53 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
atomicjam
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010 06:03:47 PM »

did you have to break the light bulb to get it out??
Yes you smash the bulb once it's been fired. Loads of fun - little bit dangerous. Makes a great shape though.

You really should put your items in separate threads though instead of in the continuing Works in Progress thread
Yeah Ok, I know.  I was hiding in this thread.  I'll make a new one for this discussion and link to it but I still think people should post picture of works in progress here if they want to, if the pics don't really warrant a whole other thread. Just occasional shots of WIP can be very telling and inspirational.
Link to new thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=350870.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010 09:43:02 AM »

That little pot is so ambitious!  I can't imagine working that big or with anything geometric.  That's one of the upsides of food.... doesn't usually have to be perfect.

I'm making some cookout stuff for July 4th...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 09:45:50 AM by Blitherypoop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010 08:59:22 PM »

oh yum!!!!:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010 03:10:18 PM »

Thanks.  Smiley

Here's the watermelon cane I'm working on... well when I'm in the AC at work.  Too hot in my apartment.  The clay gets sticky and too soft.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010 03:11:48 PM by Blitherypoop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010 09:05:21 PM »

that looks mouthwatering!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon Pancakes
How to Make a Pulled Pork Sandwich
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Grilled Miller Lite Brats
Citrus BBQ Beer Can Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...