A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of mini food jewellery + accessories  (Read 9143 times)
Tags for this thread: faux_food  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melissanorth
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010 04:34:47 AM »

Absolutely perfect! Can I ask how you get the 'oozing' textured part on the danish? And the croissant? I find that my fingerprints flatten any textures I make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ochamelon
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010 06:01:29 AM »

Absolutely perfect! Can I ask how you get the 'oozing' textured part on the danish? And the croissant? I find that my fingerprints flatten any textures I make.

Thank you! I'm not sure what you mean by the 'oozing', if you mean the sauce it's done by liquid polymer clay. Just colour the liquid clay with pastel shavings and 'draw' on like real sauce. If you don't colour the liquid clay it'll just turn out clear like in the apple danish.

As for fingerprints, it's truly the bane of any polymer clay artisan's existence! There is absolutely no easy way around it, just try to be super gentle. It's also the clay that you use. Sculpey III and the new Fimo Soft is really bad with fingerprints because they're so soft! If you have access to Sculpey Premo use that, it's not as soft so it doesn't 'fingerprint' as bad, but retains good detail. Yeah I know, this is a very crappy answer to your question but i'm so sorry, I really do struggle with prints as well.

If you have any more questions ask away, I hope I answered your questions properly Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweets deco and mini sweet tutorials: http://hikaria.wordpress.com
My Flickr and my Etsy.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010 07:49:11 AM »

how you get the 'oozing' textured part on the danish?

melissanorth, as ochamelon said, it's usually liquid polymer clay that's used for more liquidy effects, but other things can be used too including solid clay with a lot of liquid clay or other thinner mixed into it, or different materials.  
Those things can be tinted with artists oil paints or oil pastels or other some other colorants if desired.  (The amount of runniness and clarity can be controlled depending on ingredients and their proportions and a few techniques.)

There's much more info about the possibilities on these pages of my site if you want to check them out:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/miniatures.htm > Foods >> Frostings, Icings, Glazes, Etc.
http://glassattic.com/polymer/claygun.htm > Small&Med. Extruders >> Icing Tips

I find that my fingerprints flatten any textures I make.

Even if you're using one of the really-soft clays like Sculpey, ClayShop/BakeShop, Pardo, or FimoSoft, you can still do certain things to prevent excess fingerprints and distortion, or to correct them after baking.  (If it's really a problem though --or you have hot hands or live in a hot area-- you'll probably just want to use a firmer clay like Kato Polyclay or FimoClassic).  
Check out these pages for those techniques:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm >> Fingerprints, Smoothing, Dust
http://glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm >Smoothing Before Sanding

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 07:51:43 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
melissanorth
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010 08:09:54 AM »

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I use fimosoft but I don't sand afterwards which probably makes prints worse. I've yet to try freezing or baking in stages which I gather can help.

By 'oozing' I mean the part of the top bun on the blue Danish which 'runs over'- say the Danish bun is a semi-sphere; there's a continuation of the textured bun before the sauce. Sorry if I'm not very clear, I'm on my phone but can circle what I mean in the photo later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ochamelon
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2010 03:44:27 AM »

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. I use fimosoft but I don't sand afterwards which probably makes prints worse. I've yet to try freezing or baking in stages which I gather can help.

By 'oozing' I mean the part of the top bun on the blue Danish which 'runs over'- say the Danish bun is a semi-sphere; there's a continuation of the textured bun before the sauce. Sorry if I'm not very clear, I'm on my phone but can circle what I mean in the photo later.

I'm so, so sorry! I still don't understand, if you can circle it please do  Embarrassed. I'm very slow Tongue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr and my Etsy.
melissanorth
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010 09:37:36 AM »

It's ok, I'm not very good at explaining. I've circled it- I can guess that you make the texture with sandpaper, pins etc but it's the way that the top of the bun is smooth versus this part which 'squelches' out that I'm puzzled as to how you made.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010 12:08:31 PM »

melissanorth - I don't know anything about clay but that's a French Macaron and the part you circled is called the "foot" of the macaron. It's very hard to achieve that in baking and that clay version looks perfect! (Traditionally, there would not be a chocolate bow on top).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
melissanorth
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010 07:40:28 AM »

Yes, the foot! How does one make the foot from polymer clay? Incidentally, the only macaron I've ever had is a swirled coconut shape with a flat bottom, and a cherry on top- so I don't know what the real ones are supposed to taste like but they look gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ochamelon
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010 07:01:22 PM »

Yes, the foot! How does one make the foot from polymer clay? Incidentally, the only macaron I've ever had is a swirled coconut shape with a flat bottom, and a cherry on top- so I don't know what the real ones are supposed to taste like but they look gorgeous!

Ohhh sorry yes, I get it haha. I'm so sorry, but yes in a real macaron this part isn't liquid at all so I was a little confused with the 'oozing'. I'm so sorry, and thank you so much for taking the trouble to get a photo Smiley. And thanks Avian Flight for explaining Smiley, you're right about the chocolate bow hehe Smiley.

The basic way to make macarons is to use the blunt side of a round cookie cutter or a measuring scoop to 'cut' out rounds of clay. Using a blunt cutter means that you'll leave a bit of an 'overhang' of clay, it won't cut cleanly. Then get a toothbrush and ruffle the overhang while pressing into the round of clay. Yeah it's hard to explain, I don't know if i'm allowed to shamelessly tell you my blog in my links has a tute with pictures... if not i'll delete it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr and my Etsy.
melissanorth
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2010 06:25:01 AM »

Ooh I'm going to read it! Thankyou so much! Then when my desk isn't covered in fimo I can have a go at making my own :-) how long did all that mini food take you? I'm finishing off some chocolates for a bracelet order I got, and they took hours with sanding and varnishing etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set the Image Quality and Resolution in the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Program Mode Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Manual Mode Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Manual Focus Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the ISO Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...