A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions about Swedish Weaving  (Read 1601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 25, 2010 07:23:05 PM »

Okay, this might be posted in the wrong spot but I figured I'd ask here first. I've been wanting to try my hand at Swedish Weaving lately, so I went out and purchased some Monk's Cloth. Next I tried to set out and find a pattern I would like, and ran into some trouble there. All of the patterns are great... just not quite my style. So my next idea was to create a pattern of the Horde Crest (from World of Warcraft) and make a simple pattern out of that. Basically that idea evolved into a crazy hot mess into this pattern http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_63D8SW1zZOs/R9b1ERut27I/AAAAAAAAAH8/PyLv_sWDEYg/s1600-h/horde.png
Using Pic2Point I've created a pattern, but that's also where I've run into my problem. This is going to be closer to a needlepoint project rather than true Swedish Weaving, and it's also going to have 15 colors. I've knit for years and I know that the selection of yarn colors in the same type of yarn are slightly sparse. Now to my main question, is it possible in Swedish Weaving to use embroidery thread instead of yarn? I think I read somewhere that you could do it, but wanted to hear from other people you might have already tried this.

Thanks

Tessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010 07:45:58 AM »

I am also looking at Swedish Weaving and I was planning to use crochet cotton yarn. I know you can also use embroidery thread if you want to.

Search craftster for "swedish weaving" and you will find some good posts in various areas of Craftster.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 11:37:50 PM »

About six years ago I did some Swedish weaving with embroidery floss instead of yarn and it worked wonderfully.  One thing I will say though - if you do use the floss and have to rip out for a mistake, try to catch it quickly.  The floss tends to have its color rub off on the monk's cloth and if you have to change colors or cover it up it can be a pain.  At least, that's what happened to me, could've been a fluke but I figured I'd throw it out there just in case.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
francorios
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010 07:48:21 PM »

I'm getting there slowly. I now have monk's cloth and huck cloth.

I have embroidery floss.

What I don't have is time. Just started a backstrap weaving project.
But I do have Swedish Weaving on the list of things to do.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weaving Mama
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011 02:49:28 PM »

You can use a #3 pearl cotton (perle coton) yarn on Monk's Cloth. Did you wash and dry the fabric first? If you need some help I can walk you through the weaving process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Rainbow Looms
How to Prep and Paint Windows and Doors
Halloween Pumkpin Tootsie Pop Display
DIY Project: Painted Umbrellas
How to Make a Creative Wedding Seating Plan
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...