A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Morgantown, WV  (Read 6342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Murky
« on: May 06, 2005 10:58:23 PM »

Hello,
Native Morgantown woman here  Wink
Does anyone know of any good places to get fabric/notions/etc or thriftstores in the area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

St. The Mary
Petunia0384
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005 08:37:05 PM »

Hi. Smiley  WVU student here.  The only one I know of is the Needlecraft Barn near the Walnut PRT.  It has some cross stitching, knitting, crocheting, etc. supplies...  Some are overpriced, IMO.  If you're into beads, the Bead Monster near the corner of Walnut and High is awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Auropol
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005 08:16:30 AM »

Theres also the Sew Inn (kinda across from the post office on high street) but they seem to stick to helping the customers they already know. If you are new then they aren't very helpful but they do have a good supply. Also theres fabric on a roll down near Aldi. It great. They are very helpful but its geared to home decor. They have wonderful fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shescrafty627
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006 07:29:39 PM »

I'm a new WVU student. TA&M major. I LOOOVE the bead monster. I was even thinking of getting a job there. I like the Michaels near the highway. That was the best one I've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006 08:44:42 PM »

Hey, welcome to WVU. Smiley  Are you a freshman?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

mermaidsvoice
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006 10:19:19 AM »

Hi! I'm a new WVU transfer student as well. This has been kind of helpful, but does anyone know of any good thrift/vintage stores in the Morgantown area? I'm coming from a -thrift heavy, that's all I buy, lots of arts&crafts stores community- and I'm a little scared that Morgantown is going to be completely different. Of course, I'm especially worried because I know I can't bring a sewing machine to school.... ::pout::. PLease tell me there are thrift stores in Morgantown?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
Auropol
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006 07:41:06 PM »

Why can't you bring your sewing machine with you? Its a great study break?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petunia0384
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006 08:54:17 AM »

Hi! I'm a new WVU transfer student as well. This has been kind of helpful, but does anyone know of any good thrift/vintage stores in the Morgantown area? I'm coming from a -thrift heavy, that's all I buy, lots of arts&crafts stores community- and I'm a little scared that Morgantown is going to be completely different. Of course, I'm especially worried because I know I can't bring a sewing machine to school.... ::pout::. PLease tell me there are thrift stores in Morgantown?

I'm actually not a big thrift store person, so I can't tell you about the quality of any of the places...  But there are a few thrift stores/consignment shops in Morgantown, and a couple in Fairmont (about 20 minutes away).  Of course, Pittsburgh is nearby (70 miles?).  As far as craft stores, there's a Michael's nearby, Walmart has a craft section, there's a bead store (very fun place), and AC Moore in Bridgeport (about 40 minutes away).  There are some smaller sewing stores around here and in Fairmont and Bridgeport. 

I'm guessing you can't bring the sewing machine because the dorm rooms are too small?  That sucks. Sad  Just leave half of your wardrobe at home, haha, jk.  Seriously though, could you get a desk that could accomodate a sewing machine and a computer?  You could store the sewing machine when it isn't being used?  I'm not sure how practical that would be, as I don't have a sewing machine yet (I'm getting one for my birthday, yay).

Good luck.  Let me know if you have any questions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

mermaidsvoice
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006 10:27:41 AM »

I'm guessing you can't bring the sewing machine because the dorm rooms are too small?  That sucks. Sad  Just leave half of your wardrobe at home, haha, jk.  Seriously though, could you get a desk that could accomodate a sewing machine and a computer?  You could store the sewing machine when it isn't being used?  I'm not sure how practical that would be, as I don't have a sewing machine yet (I'm getting one for my birthday, yay).

Good luck.  Let me know if you have any questions. Smiley

Well, it's strange because I asked the question (Will a sewing machine fit?) in the WVU LJ community and I had one person say no, so that's what I went off of when I said that here. But someone later on said that I could bring a sewing machine to WVU. I don't need a desk for my computer because I've got a laptop, and my sewing machine is small, so if I had a desk I could just leave the machine there until I needed the desk for something else. I'm undecided, but sewing is one of my passions and I didn't want to have to leave it behind.

Thanks for the information about the craft stores. I don't drive, unfortunatly, so I can't go to the ones outside of Morgantown unless I know someone headed that way. (bus? Meh?) I don't mind though. (Not driving, that is.)

thanks so much. Everyone here and on LJ has been so friendly and helpful. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
Petunia0384
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006 08:34:16 PM »

I don't drive, unfortunatly, so I can't go to the ones outside of Morgantown unless I know someone headed that way. (bus? Meh?) I don't mind though. (Not driving, that is.)

thanks so much. Everyone here and on LJ has been so friendly and helpful. ^_^

That sucks. Sad  Fortunately, most of the ones in town are accessible either by foot or bus (which is free with your student ID).  I think it sounds like the sewing machine will work fine.  If someone is bringing you to school, just try it out.  If it doesn't work, send it home. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bandini Swimsuit Trends
Coral And Poppy Swimsuit Trends
Cut Exclusive: ACW Casts NYFW Fall 2013
Who Wore It Best: Michelle Obama or Rihanna?
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...