A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Portfolio Bride cake topper-Give me your opinion!  (Read 3951 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , cake_topper , bride  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Myrorostudio
« on: April 25, 2010 06:32:45 AM »

This is a bride I made for my portfolio with the kind permission of the model who is also an Artist on DA.
Because the nature of my work means I always have to give away the end product. I wanted to make one for myself to keep in order to show customers and take to wedding shows. The groom with follow eventually.  Cheesy
I wanted the dress to be in simple Empire lines, but would like your opinion on whether I should give her a veil and something on her top (I'm thinking a glitter trim.)
All comments welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

space.case.sara
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010 07:16:04 AM »

She looks great!! The only thing that stands out to me is that she seems a little short, maybe her proportions are off? Other than that, AWESOME!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myrorostudio
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010 07:30:24 AM »

Thanks space.case.sara!
You're right she does seem short, but it was intentional, I made her head a little bigger than "real" proportions would allow (making her appear caricatury), as I wanted the emphasis to be on the likeness. I'm still playing around with the sizing a bit, and because this is mine to keep I didn't have to worry about cake proportions (when they actually go on the cake I have to be carefull they are symetrical in order to fit properly on the top tier)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Andromache

Obsessed with crafts and never satisfied

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 07:47:51 AM »

she looks really good! But it almost looks like shes kneeling since she's short. I think a veil would look good..but coming from the bottom of her updo down (not covering the top of her head or her face).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moongalz
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010 08:20:02 AM »

Hey.. first of all its awesome, the face is incredible! If you were to change anything I think you could put a tiara on top of her hair and then a veil under her updo! Also you could cut the flower's stem length...

Awesome A+
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010 08:26:14 AM »

I agree the proportions are off, but I understand where you are coming from with the caricature thing.  The other thing I noticed  is she could stand to be a bit more hippy  (like have more hips)  Think hourglass.

All that said, I think her face is amazing, and so is the hair.  I could never make something so wonderful out of clay.  well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010 08:34:31 AM »

I just love her would have loved the option to do that for my wedding. I agree to have the veil under her hair it is so beautiful and if you put it over top you loose so much detail. I thing it is great. Good job. Wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010 08:44:00 AM »

Oh wow, that's amazing. I would have to agree that her proportions look off. I think that's due to her bust/waist/hip ratio like Belladune mentioned. A veil would be pretty, maybe one of the kind that swoop down and across the face...I'm not sure if I'm describing it well.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Myrorostudio
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010 09:13:54 AM »

Thanks for your comments everyone!
The veil under the do is what I was thinking too, so I'll probably give that a go. I have some fine tulle which is perfect for miniature veils!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010 11:19:03 AM »

Your detail on all of the toppers I have seen so far has been exquisite!  I love that this on is smiling (and what a gorgeous smile!)...the layers on the dress are wonderful!

I also think that a lot of them seemed out of proportion to me ..being a bit top heavy, and therefore appearing to have short legs underneath...I would suggest that if you are trying to put the focus on the upper half, then how about not ending the figure at the hem?  Maybe a cutting off 2/3 down from the top?

I think if I saw the figures actually on the cake, the overall effect would not be as noticeable...

your skills are definitely improved with each subsequent post, so keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Melanie Abrams on Writing Sex Scenes in Literary Fiction
How to Make a Paper Mache Ganesh
The Moveable Type Installation at the New York Times Lobby
How to Make Clay Murals with Joe Brenman
Meet Ice Sculptor Takeo Okamoto
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...