A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with these?  (Read 1479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 24, 2010 06:36:30 PM »

So I bought some yarn from the sheep shed studio, and I should have just gotten the whites but I ended up getting 1 lb browns and 1 lb blacks. This is what they sent me:

It's interesting, but not what I was expecting, but then again I didn't really know what to expect. The 1 lb grab bag is an entirely different story.
So here's my question: What should do with it? Should I draft it and spin it like normal on my spindle? I did about 2 oz of the black already and it came out pretty nice so I'll probably do enough of that to make a nice bag or something, but what else to do with it? Learn? Any advice? Any suggestions? Anyone have an epiphany while looking at these that they need to share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
flower
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010 06:47:58 PM »

I bought the same colorways from Sheep Shed and have the same problem!  I'm a needle felter, not a spinner.  I received a DIY hackle in a swap.  I've used it to blend small quantities for felting.  The colors are pretty, but there is just so much!  I should have purchased white so I could dye it or just use it for the core of my projects.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010 06:56:39 PM »

Couldn't you still dye it, while the black may not take the color, the white and brown will.  It might make for interest.   Or u could blend it with colored roving for a tweed look or ply it as a neutral fiber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010 07:11:59 PM »

Those are good ideas, but I don't dye. That would be a whole new can of worms I am not going to mess with. Well, at least for now... The plying for tweed sounds good, but I have yet to ply. I was thinking if I had gotten white instead I could spin it up and send it to partner in a swap who does dye, but alas, too late did I realize my folly. I think I will try spinning some of the brown/black/white mix and see what happens...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010 07:22:37 AM »

The brown mix spins up nicely on it's own.  I think it's even prettier when you gently card the colors together.  It's fantastic!

Same with the black mix. Gently card the colors together.  You're not trying for an over all grey color but a nice combination of black, grey & white.  Yarn I make from the black mix always sells quickly for me.  Folks like to over dye the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
flower
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010 11:43:12 AM »

The brown mix spins up nicely on it's own.  I think it's even prettier when you gently card the colors together.  It's fantastic!

I just wet and needle felted a coaster out of the brown mix.  I love the "tiger eye" color combo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010 06:48:13 PM »

I've heard that black/white mix dyes nicely if you have a swap partner who dyes.  I think I remember hearing the colors turn out richer and more like jewel tones than if it were plain white.

I think the "chipmunk" brown looks very cheerful!  I think it'd be fun to just see what it becomes.  Of course, that's kind of what I like about spinning -- the surprise factor.  If you just picture a happy chipmunk while you're spinning, maybe you'll have a better feeling about that brown.

What's your experience with the 1 lb grab bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010 04:06:22 PM »

First off, I spun some thick and some thin of each just to see what happened, and I koolaid dyed some of it, but I didn't really like that. I'm not too fond of the brown combo, but maybe I just need to hold on to it and wait for inspiration? My husband will looove that... [/sarcasm] Here is some of what I spun before I dyed it:

I like the black and white. Maybe I'll try another koolaid bath on the thin I just finished today.

As for the grab bag, well, I think I will need to card it or something because a lot of it is like.. I don't know. It's like it was sent right after being sheared off a clean sheep or something.

No real direction or anything. At first I was kind of intimidated but now I'm just worried I will have to fit some hand carders into my craft budget, ug! Maybe I will get the spinning wheel I want for Mother's day or my anniversary next month or something; it comes with hand carders included. Maybe. (The real question there is would I rather have a spinning wheel or a compost bin?!)

The rest of the grab bag was just short chunks of roving.

I think I can handle it, but I don't know if I'll be getting another grab bag, at least not any time soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010 08:31:49 AM »

I'm loving the spun yarn!  That brown will knit/crochet/weave up beautifully!

As for the grab bags, you have to understand that Carol sells mill ends.  The bits and pieces from the huge carder at Brown Sheep.  Sometimes this comes off in long & short pieces and sometimes more like clouds (picture of the all white).

She and Carl separate the long pieces of roving from the shorter pieces & clouds.  They are all very spinnable!  The fiber is very compressed and even with the longer pieces of roving, you'll want to fluff it up (pull sideways on the roving) before trying to draft.

Until you get carders, you can use dog slickers.  They're not as big as carders and the teeth are usually farther apart, but they do in a pinch.

Wheel or compost bin?!?!?  A wheel of course!  A compost bin can be easily be constructed by 4 pallets wired together or chicken fencing pulled into a circle!

I have a red/white/black combo from Carol that I don't particularly like, but I carded some up on my drum carder and it is beautiful!  I'm wishing now I had more of the brown/white/combo to do this with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
jexxican

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010 12:26:49 PM »

I understand about the mill ends, it is just a little daunting. I am excited to try new things but maybe I will give it a little time. Dog slickers?

As far as the compost bin goes, I want one of the rolling black plastic bins with the spout on it. My husband doesn't see why we need one but I know where we could put it and if we get too much soil we have friends who need it, right? I'm sure I'll get both, maybe, at least by the end of the year. I have a better spot for the compost bin anyway. Inside our house is getting a little cramped! Where will I put the wheel I want? Infant's room? Ooh, and I could toss those little pieces of fluff from my spinning in there! I already have a spindle, but I don't have any way of composting yet. You see where I'm at?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010 12:28:50 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must Have Beauty Items
Top Nail Polish Trends of Summer
3 Masks to Solve All Your Summer Skin Issues
How To Keep Your Makeup Perfect in the Summer Heat
Simple Guide to Makeup Brushes
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...