A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,497
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Partially Cloudy Resin (from a resin n00b)  (Read 4758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovemyconnorb
« on: August 08, 2010 11:49:45 PM »

Just got some Easy Cast for small trinkets about a week ago.  And the oval mold from Hobby Lobby.  Along with the only mold release/conditioner any place locally carries.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/assets/item/regular/338236.jpg

Followed the directions, sprayed the mold, twice.  After it had been dry for a few hours, I mixed the stuff and poured it in.  Stirred in some dried flower pieces.  

Anyways, popped them out after 24 hours to see that the tops (would technically be the bottom when it was in the mold, top after being inverted out of the mold) were cloudy.  I tried again, warming up the bottles a little because it says in the directions that if it's too cold, it can be cloudy.  Same results.

They sit in my bathroom to cure with the fan on, it's about 74 in there.  No one showers in this bathroom, so they don't get exposed to humidity.  

I just found it weird that only the tops were cloudy.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or can the release cause cloudiness?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks (:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010 09:33:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovemyconnorb
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010 11:53:54 PM »

Oh...and I don't have any pics of the pieces yet.  My mom stole my camera for vacation and my phone doesn't show it well.

If resin and I can't manage to get along before she gets back with my camera, I'll post pictures for a little clarity lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010 06:53:39 AM »

I've never had a problem with my resin being cloudy but I don't use a release agent. I put the cured stuff, still in the molds in the freeer for a few minutes and they pop right out with no problem. They do look cloudy when you pull them out of the freezer but that goes away really quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
hello color!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010 01:35:26 PM »

It sounds like it's caused by the release since it's only the surface that's cloudy. What are you using? I use Ease Release 200 and never had that problem - and I don't think I wait more than 10 minutes after spraying to cast. It's only carried by specialty stores though, so you can only find it locally if you live in a big city, which doesn't sound like is the case. I think most people use the release from Castin' Craft since Castin' Craft stuff is usually carried by the chain stores...

To figure out if it's definitely the release before you mail order anything, I would a cast without any release to see if that fixes it, making sure to clean the mold first. It'll be more difficult to get it out, but people say that if it gets stuck, sticking it in the freezer for a bit after it's cured makes it pop right out. Also, I wouldn't use any inclusions or pigments to make sure they are not causing the problem by settling to the bottom - i.e. just make a clear cabochon. If it comes out well without surface problems, you can put it back in the mold later and add a layer with fun stuff, so it wouldn't be a waste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovemyconnorb
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010 09:34:56 PM »

Thanks!  I'll try it without the release.  The stuff I use says to spray it on, rub it in and let it dry...twice before casting.  But of course, a little liquid pools in the bottom of the molds due to the shape, so that's why I was thinking this was the problem.

I didn't know I could try it without the release, but I guess that's what these posts are for haha.

Wish me luck, I'll try casting a new mold tomorrow *crosses fingers*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010 12:29:15 PM »

Pools on the bottom? Sounds like a possible cause, for sure. What brand is it? Ease Release 200, which I use, doesn't do that even for molds that have much steeper sides. It's a spray (like spray paint). Instructions say the same thing - spray, brush around with a paintbrush, wait ~5 min to dry, spray again, wait to dry, cast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovemyconnorb
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010 02:41:57 PM »

Never did pay attention to the name of the release :/

I did, however, attempt another set without it and they came out perfectly fine.  Took the release spray back to the craft store, making sure to tell them what it did to my pieces so they would pitch it.

Thanks for the tips, everyone (:  Made a few pendants and a bangle.  I'll try to get some pics up eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hunnykiki
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010 04:37:54 PM »

The only time I had cloudy resin was after using a mold release.  Now the only thing I use mold release for is on the backs on my pieces while they are still taky because it blocks out air and helps it harden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Small Tripods / Equipment to Stabilize Your Camera - Road Gear - Video ...
How to Paint with Light - A Photography Technique
How to Build a Bulldog 5x4 Large Format Camera
Learn about Camera Exposure
How to Focus Stacking - A Macro Photography Technique
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...