A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mini wedding cake  (Read 4697 times)
Tags for this thread: cake_decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2010 12:14:40 AM »

Today is my parent's 22 year wedding anniversary and my mom wanted me to make her a mini wedding cake to celebrate. I used a cake mix but I made the frosting, fondant, and filling from scratch. I used the marshmallow fondant recipe and it was perfecttttt.

The flavor is yellow butter with cream cheese filling and regular buttercream frosting.

It took me about six hours to make the cake, frosting, fondant, cool, torte, fill, frost, cool, cover, and decorate. I was surprised at how much it didn't hurt to cut it.

Here are there recipes and some comments

Fondant Recipe from Whatscookingamerica .com - Peggy Weaver is a wealth of information. I love reading her recipes, tips, and tricks over and over. I made the recipe to the T and it came out perfect. It is SO much more delicious than Wilton and ridiculously cheap. I usually buy a 24 oz box of Wilton Fondant for $6, this recipe made 47 oz and cost me about $3. That's basically double the amount for half the price. Do I hear "Cha-Ching!"?
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Buttercream Recipe from Wilton - I doubled the recipe but ended up with about 2 cups of left overs. I was about a cup shy of using the whole 2lbs of powdered sugar. I also had to add more liquid than called for because this recipe is usually on the thicker side and I needed spreading consistency.
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

Best Frosting Recipe from Tasty Kitchen/Pioneer Woman - I've made this frosting before and it really was the best frosting ever. I don't know if this is even proper filling material but I used it anyway and it was scrumptious. I did the recipe exactly the same but i also added about 4 oz of cream cheese because seriously what's cake without cream cheese somewhere in it, right?
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

You can check out a few more pics at my blog: http://lifelalife.blogspot.com/2010/04/22.html

thanks for looking!
-karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010 12:30:04 AM »

It sounds yummy and looks great!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r.forslund
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010 03:05:47 AM »

gorgeous!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mnmcoffee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010 06:16:38 AM »

i love the simplicity of the cake. its perfect! i bet your parents (mom especially) loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<333
linda0989
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010 06:31:02 AM »

The cake is beautiful! Nice job-I'm sure everyone loved it! I cheat with cake mix too! If you use milk in a cake mix no one can tell the difference so why go to all the trouble? I agree about the fondant. Peggy's instructions are right on the money and the marshmallows add a nice flavour. Apparently, no one truly loves to eat fondant but there is no other way I know of to get that smooth finish we all want.
I love the colours and your piping was great! Thanks for sharing all your hard work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eleka
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010 06:55:16 AM »

This looks amazing! I hope someday I can make something this pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010 07:04:52 AM »

Thank you for posting your fondant recipe. I've been looking for a trusted one, there's so many out there and I didn't know what to try. Your cake looks so perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010 01:27:01 PM »

aw shucks thanks everyone   Grin

linda0989 - i have yet to master a good yellow or white cake from scratch that's why i didn't even bother. and you're right, it's easy to make it your own and have it taste great without doing it all yourself Smiley

puppybreath - first off i LOOOOVE your username hahaha and even though it's my first time trying that recipe it's now going to be my staple. I don't know if you've used wilton before but it's so gross tasting and this recipe is so delicious, you can add your own flavors, and it's economical. good luck trying it!

-k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010 04:48:11 PM »

I wanted you to know you inspired me to give fondant a go.

Last night I made the cakes and the marshmallow fondant. Tonight I put it all together and am surprised by how simple everything was. Sticky, but simple. And it tastes good.

Do you know why I got those strange bubble looking things that show in the picture of the cake as a whole? They weren't there as I was rolling, They showed up several minutes after I put them on the cake. It's not condensation.

Anyway, thanks for posting your lovely cake and finally convincing me to give it a try. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010 02:00:43 AM »

awwww yayyy!!! that's awesome! omg now i want cake haaha.
about the fondant, i'm not an expert in handling it as i've worked with it very few times but i have read up on it A LOT and i know it's crucial to have both the cake and fondant at the same temperature, aka room temperature. so if your cake was cold and then you put room temp fondant on it that can cause major bubbles. there are of course other reasons so who knows. you might want to check peggy's faq about fondant bubbles and see if they help http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/BubblesFondant.htm

good luck and i'm glad you finally gave it a go  Smiley

-karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Brine Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 2
Individual Beef and Pork Meat Pies Recipe
Apple, Cinnamon and Pecan Tea Cake Recipe
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...