A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrink plastic take 2 - Charms  (Read 1438 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrink_film , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« on: April 23, 2010 05:07:23 PM »

I realize that I could have spent alot more time on these but I was more interested in experimenting and thought Id share my results. I once again used #6 plastic Cheesy

The one on the left is 3 layers of plastic and the one on the right is 2 layers. I metled them all at the same time and held it down a bit while it melted. The 3 layers I had to shuffle around a bit because it melted wonky but the 2 layer melted down perfect. The 2 layer is so TINY its like the size of a dime, but if you only have scraps to work with what can you do?

This one looks like junk in the picture but its my favorite. I did this one the same as my fishie one on a prior post. I did the water on one side and the sharks on the other, but this time I blended the water a bit with sandpaper so it would be a little softer where the colors all meshed together. I think I might need to find some sort of black backing to hang behind it to balance it off. Not sure what though.
The subject probably requires a bit of an explanation so I hope you'll bear with me Smiley One night last year when I wasn't really paying attention this documentary came on and I got sucked into it and it turned out to be probably the best one Ive ever seen. I stayed up till like 2 in the morning watching it. It was called Sharkwater. Ever since watching it Ive become fascinated with sharks. I REALLY recommend the documentary but be forewarned that it has VERY GRAPHIC film of shark finning....I got the picture off the websites wallpaper, there is supposed to be a little man in the corner but I ended up erasing him because I thought it looked better just being sharks. They do look like sharks right? 
Anyways I am now out of plastic.... Cry Maybe I will order some actual brand name stuff instead of scrounging because that almost seemed harder than looking for brand name shrink plastic. Once I actually make something with them I will probably update here and let you guys see what I did Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010 05:27:22 PM »

Really love those sharks. The others are great too. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
notanotherxerox
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010 05:48:46 PM »

These look awesome! I'm in love with the little sharks, and yes they definitely look like sharks!!!! Watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel has gotten me so interested in them and I've noticed them appearing more and more in my crafts.
Maybe you can use a little piece of black leather/pleather behind the sharks? I've done that for a few of my shrink jewelry and it looks pretty cool.

What did you color them with? I usually use Prismacolor colored pencils but they don't come out looking smooth like yours.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010 05:58:48 PM »

The shark one is so neat! It looks like you're looking at them from underneath, like you're way deep in the water. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010 08:05:02 PM »

love the sharks... always been infatuated with them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010 08:19:09 PM »

Thanks guys  Grin
And I use pencil crayons, Im not really sure what kind they are because there just a random bunch Ive had for a really long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Males Doing Nails with Sophy Robson
Beauty from Around the World: Bubzbeauty
The Best Makeup for Your Eye Shape
Get Kate Moss’ Chiseled Cheekbones
How to Save Time and Money on Your Morning Beauty Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...