A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lets make a jacket! **Updated with more photos**  (Read 14858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

selenium
« on: May 06, 2005 06:43:37 PM »

I recently bought the pattern for M4782 and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a sewalong.  I'm pretty new to sewing from patterns (I've only done a few skirts) and it would be nice to sew with other people of varying levels of experience.

Anyone interested?

Someone from craftster has already made this jacket if you're interested in seeing how cool this pattern can be.

ETA: As with Randommarble's suggestion, this sewalong can include any lined jacket pattern.  Men's and women's patterns are both welcome.

**UPDATE**

It is now summer instead of spring, so I guess we're just working on jackets rather than spring jackets.  We'll be ready for chilly summer nights and the coming fall.

We have several completed pieces now. 

Starlene's fabulous summery number:

My fall jacket made with spring suiting:

Starlene's second jacket:

Dolores's hot designer jacket:

If anyone has any other pictures of their finished products please let me know.

Mistakes were made (at least on my part) and much has been learned.  We will be trying in round two to make a more perfect jacket.  I have chosen to switch to Burda 8208.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2005 11:46:17 AM by selenium » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005 12:07:25 AM »

Did you want to make any in particular view because people may prefer to choose a pattern/may already have a pattern from a different company but the same style. Here are some similar simplicity ones
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
selenium
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005 06:13:35 AM »

That's a good idea.  I'm just interested in making a jacket and consulting with other crafters about the more difficult parts of the pattern.  I've never attached sleeves or made a series of button holes before, but I have used interfacing and followed a pattern.  Perhaps we should expand the scope of this sewalong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005 01:08:38 PM »

I probably won't do one quite like this (I'm not allowed to buy any patterns for a while, and I still have a couple I haven't used yet), but I am doing a jacket. It's got lapels, but it is lined. I can help if you have any trouble with putting on the sleeves though. I don't think my pattern had buttons on it but I may add one to the front to close it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005 01:11:46 PM by Randommarble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
selenium
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005 02:01:41 PM »

What pattern are you working from?  I have pattern M4663 on hold until I find just the right fabric.

I sewed the back and front together and added the collar last night.  I'll be sewing up the sleeves soon and putting it together later on.  I'll post pictures as soon as I have time.  I'm a bit worried about the fabric because it has a loose weave.  I hope the seam allowances are generous enough to keep it from unraveling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selenium
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005 09:27:33 PM »

Here are the photos of what I've done so far:

The full view

The collar

I have a feeling that this thread will mostly be me talking to myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005 09:39:51 PM »

well i am reconing a jacket i found in my attic i'll take a pic when i can get one.  I already put new sleaves on and a corset like tie up back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKN725
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005 07:37:25 PM »

Sleeve Tip:  If the sleeve is just one piece, you might find it easier to attach it to the body BEFORE you sew up the side seam.  It is easier to work with the flat pieces of material and ease that sleeve  than it is once you have turned the sleeve into a tube.Then sew the side seam and underarm all in one. Does this make sense? I know, that's probably not what the pattern guide says.  Its a tip I learned in a tailoring class.  I have two jacket projects on hold right now but NO TIME>  GRRR!  But if I can answer any questions for you as you go, feel free to pm me. (Love that fabric and it looks like you're doing great so far.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005 07:40:19 PM by SKN725 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
selenium
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005 08:07:56 PM »

Nope.  It's a two piece sleeve.  I'll be sewing those up soon after I take a trip to the store to buy more thread.

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005 09:43:02 AM »

Selenium, I want a Jacket!  Can I join with McCalls 4311.  I really love the cut of it.  Let me know.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox Shows You How to Avoid Sunburn
Miranda Mendoza: Copy the Cover Challenge
Megan Moore: Copy the Cover Challenge
Alyssa Wallace: Copy the Cover Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Copy the Cover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...